Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Baby Names
  5. My two cents - I hope this won't start a fight, just a discussion.

My two cents - I hope this won't start a fight, just a discussion. Lock Rss

Posted by: **Jus**
What I actually find amusing about this section of Huggies is alot are tripping over themselves to come up with that one elusive name but then ask for everyone elses approval on it...if you were confident in your name choice the opinions of others wouldnt be an issue.

Abso-frikin-lutely.

And naming your kid Adolf Hitler..... Come on-that has to border on something close to 'abuse'. (Perhaps not the right word, I do agree with some other PP's that it is a pretty full on word to use in this instance.)

i have taught in many schools and daycare centres and heard it all, but no kid has been picked on because of their name.

You must live somewhere fantastic

yes i live in fairy land with lepracorns and fairy dust...
seriously, with the age group i have taught (0-5's) they just dont give a crap what someone's name is. also in kindy, it isnt a big issue, it is in upper primary and high school which names can cause some probs (but i dont teach that area). at the age i have taught they just dont have the development to associate names with teasing. the girls dont want to play or be someones friend, boys seem to pick out the socially shyest or quietest to intimidate.

"and who will be the name police and decide what is 'weird' and what is 'normal'?

that would be society. names that were popular way back when would be seem as ludicrous nowadays. society changes it's values and views and as such this has an effect of lots of things, names included. what's seen as 'normal' today may not be tomorrow.

so i am part of 'society' and i obviously are more laid back than some people, so once again it is an ambiguous task to determine 'normal'. sure, i had a giggle when gwenyth paltwro named her daughter 'apple' and then 'moses', plus nicole kidman and 'sunday roast (rose)'. but i got over it! it is just a name, it means a lot to the parents who put a lot of thought into it.

perhaps i am naive to think that the name isnt the problem, it is the BULLYING. i hope that i can raise my kids to be respectful and tolerant towards others, including their names, race, religion, socio economic backgrounds.

i would hate to raise my kid to be a conformast/sheep. dont we encourage children to be themselves, to stand up for what they believe in, to be great? or do we squash the individuality out of them so they can 'conform; and follow all the other sheep so they dont get picked on?

as for adolf hitler, well i surely wouldnt because of the negativity/inhumanity of the PERSON, and wouldnt want my child associated with that. but it wasnt the name that caused adolf to be adolf, it was his behaviour and personality.

name your child what you want. as you said, the goal posts will shift over time and the new breed of sheep will determine what is appropriate. now i know we conform for many reasons, including morals, values etc, that is why certain crimes are such taboo and keep order and a sense of community. but personally i am glad there is uniqueness and difference in the world. if people dont go outside the square, then where would be?

[Edited on 24/12/2008]

seriously, with the age group i have taught (0-5's) they just dont give a crap what someone's name is. also in kindy, it isnt a big issue, it is in upper primary and high school which names can cause some probs (but i dont teach that area). at the age i have taught they just dont have the development to associate names with teasing. the girls dont want to play or be someones friend, boys seem to pick out the socially shyest or quietest to intimidate.

perhaps i am naive to think that the name isnt the problem, it is the BULLYING. i hope that i can raise my kids to be respectful and tolerant towards others, including their names, race, religion, socio economic backgrounds.

i would hate to raise my kid to be a conformast/sheep. dont we encourage children to be themselves, to stand up for what they believe in, to be great? or do we squash the individuality out of them so they can 'conform; and follow all the other sheep so they dont get picked on?

Bravo! I totally agree!
The kids I work with range in age from 0-7 and names have never been an issue for any of them either. Also, I don't really remember any name related teasing from my school days. I have an uncommon name and have only ever received positive feedback for it.

Raise your kids to be polite and respectful to others and to believe in themselves regardless of what their name is.

Also, I'm not looking for anyone's approval, I'm asking for opinions.
Have to 100 per cent agree with Danae on this subject. If people spent more time worrying about raising their children to be polite, respectful and non judgemental little beings then bullying of this kind would not exist.

To the OP, is Harrison not a very unusual and unique name? To me it is so your argument is full of irony.
This again? REALLY.. wow babynames is goin DOWN HILL...

AKA Chante

Posted by: ~Two*Tinkerbells~

To the OP, is Harrison not a very unusual and unique name? To me it is so your argument is full of irony.

Really? You think Harrison is an unusual name?! Funny how its made the most popular names for babies for the last couple of decades...

BTW, I know about 10 Harrisons and 0 Archerons!
Posted by: Mum2Harrison
Posted by: ~Two*Tinkerbells~

Really? You think Harrison is an unusual name?! Funny how its made the most popular names for babies for the last couple of decades...

BTW, I know about 10 Harrisons and 0 Archerons!

Yes I do think it is an unusual name. I also think Sienna is unusual and that has also made the popular name list. Just because it is popular does not make it any less unusual.

I have no idea what the comment about Acheron is all about. I don't believe I mentioned it ever in my post? Perhaps you are alluding to a discussion over that name earlier this week. I was not the OP and certainly never stated that I liked the name.

In light of this comment, I think you should change the titel of this post as it seems to me as though you are hoping to start a fight. But that's just my 2 cents worth... for discussion purposes of course.

I agree wit alot of pple on here....someone naming their child a weird name can never be classed as child abuse (unless its a swear word...n the government wont allow that anyway)

it doesnt matter what somones name is or how its spelt.....it all rymes wit somethin......ali- smelly (smelly ali) and popular names are offen used in songs (jack be nimble jack be quick...jack burnt his **** on the candle stick.....or simon the pieman)... everykid will be bullied somehow. Who wants to have a kid with an over used name......way too boring. I named my son a so called "normal name" but ive only met one other kid called Seth in real life. My grandma has trouble saying it but other than that its fine

I like weird and exotic names.......as long as you dont call your kid tampon or c0ckring.....who cares

yer names are spelt funy these days but thats at makes that kid stand out and remembered. Thumbs up to the mums n dads out there that have the guts to be diffrent...

do u want your kid to be in a class wit 4 other pple with the same name? its not just confussing but hows your kid guna be remembered .....EG "hey is jessica in your class? "jessica who???" "the jessica with the big nose " ect...

or ? "hey is jessica in your class? "jessika who? "the one spelt with a K grin
I like weird and exotic names.......as long as you dont call your kid tampon or c0ckring.....who cares

funnily enough, i knew a boy with cockrin as last name - boy did he get teased!

but even me, with amy as a name copped it. mostly over the insurance slogan. half the time with it twisted to say "unlucky your with aaime"

oh i hated it.

the only names that i have issues with are the ones you look at and think 'how on earth is that pronounced'

but without unusual names being used, then how would name patterns changed

i also went to school with a girl - Pare (pron - putty)
she was a bit of bully, so nobody did it to her face, but gee she use to get paid out about it behind her back

Posted by: dakotagrace
Child abuse is everyone’s problem and it’s more common than you think. It affects children from every type of home, family, religion, race and culture. In most cases of abuse, the abuser is well known to the child – a family member, close relative or friend of the family.

Child abuse might be sexual, physical, emotional or neglect. Sometimes children are abused in more ways than one.

* Physical abuse is any physical injury done, non-accidentally, to a child by a parent or caregiver. Physical abuse endangers the child’s physical or emotional health or development. Shaking a baby is physical abuse.
* Emotional abuse includes constant yelling, threatening, scaring a child, belittling them or playing games with their emotions.
* Sexual abuse is when children (sometimes even toddlers and babies) are used in a sexual way by someone older. This includes everything from obscene exposure, touching the genitals in a sexual way, to rape. It doesn’t include normal sexual play between children of approximately the same age.
* Neglect is when children don’t have enough food, love or care. Neglected children may not get enough love and affection, they may not have enough to eat, their injuries may be left untreated, their clothes may not be warm enough, they may be dirty and at risk of infection, or they may be left alone. Neglect can be fatal. Children left unsupervised can die in house fires, be hit by cars or drown in baths or pools.

I am offended by the use of abuse considering the horrific death of

Nia Glassey

(this is just my personal view point as you have yours)

Wow this is your "personal view" yet it is quoted straight from a text book!!!

I agree, sometimes "unique" or "unusual" names are just asking for trouble!!! Kids can be so cruel, why add fuel to the fire???
Kids can be cruel. If they want to tease u they will find SOMETHING, even if ur name is common!

Most of my friends have uncommon names. We were all popular and never teased! I guess it just depends on the person!

AKA Chante

Posted by: TwoBabyBoys
Kids can be cruel. If they want to tease u they will find SOMETHING, even if ur name is common!

Most of my friends have uncommon names. We were all popular and never teased! I guess it just depends on the person!

Back when I was in school (albeit 7 years ago now) people who said they were "popular" generally weren't!
Sign in to follow this topic