Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

3 wheel pram V 4 wheel pram Rss

My Husband and I are expecting our first baby and have started to look at pram's. We have both agreed on the strider but cannot agree on a 3 wheeler or a 4 wheeler. Does anyone have any fact's on what the difference is between a 3 wheeler and a 4 wheeler or any pro's and con's for both??
smile
Go to the babyshop that has both and have a play with both of them, push them round in a tight circle, practise putting them up and down and changing positions etc. I found this was the best way to pick between 3 and 4 wheels. You dont have to buy them from the baby shop, just see what you like.
I chose a 4 wheeler because I had used other people's 3 wheelers and personally didn't like them.

Most people I know prefer a 3 wheeler though.

I have an older steelcraft 3 wheeler at our holdiay house (only because it was given to me) and I find it tips over a lot, especially on uneven surface and I can't hang heavy shopping bags on it like my 4 wheeler.

I would also recommend going to the shop and trying out. See if you can find different surfaces near the shop to try it out on. As long as the staff are with you they are usually happy for you to try outside.
I think the 4 wheeler is the one that you can have the extra seat on for a toddler. I looked at both and went with the 3 wheeler. It was slightly cheaper initially, but in my case it was also the last one at the shop so was floorstock and I got $150 off it, making the decision much easier for me! The one I got was also easier to fold up, it has a bar to grab once it's packed down, so you can lift it (has a rubber coating where your hand goes), the other one didn't have that so it was a bit awkward for me to find a place to lift it from to get it in the car etc.
They were so similar that I would've taken either, it was just the price that swayed me. I do wish it had the pump up wheels though as I find it a bit rough over the bumps, but that's just me not having footpaths where I live!
is anybody familiar with the steelcraft ebony 3 wheeler? is this suitable for newborns?
We had a 3 wheeler and then upgraded to a 4, as I was catching the bus a lot and the 4 wheelers are a lot more stable. The 3 wheelers generally don't have brakes on the front wheel. Also I have found the 4 wheelers tend to fit in the boot a lot easier too.
I was going through the same decision about a month ago and my husband and I decided on the 4 wheeler because its a lot more sturdy and wont tip over as much. I also found it was lighter to pick up put in the car as well.
I have a 3 wheeler strider and its the best, no way would it be able to tip over, its easy to steer and i think fairly light weight. my mum has a 4 wheeler and i really dont like them, they are harder to push.
I'm not familiar with that pram, but in general:

4-wheelers are lighter and fold smaller, and are more likely to come with plastic tyres

3-wheelers are much easier to steer, and easier to push, and are more likely to come with pump up tyres

(I went a 3-wheeler)
I have been converted to a 3 wheeler since picking one up nearly brand new for $30. I have before always used 4 wheelers but where i live now the foot paths are so bad and ruined my last prams wheels. The pram is pretty bulky so doesn't fit as good in the boot but we take the stroller for shopping or just use trolley. DS is nearly 1 now though.
with DD i had a 4 wheeler, i hated it! i couldn't jog with it, it was a pain in the butt to steer. and had next to no storage....could have just been the model we choose

this time i will be going for a 3 wheeler, either a phil and teds or a jogger....i'm yet to go to the baby stores to play with them and decide :)but from looking at friends 3 wheel prams, they have everything i want and way more storage

My Husband and I are expecting our first baby and have started to look at pram's. We have both agreed on the strider but cannot agree on a 3 wheeler or a 4 wheeler. Does anyone have any fact's on what the difference is between a 3 wheeler and a 4 wheeler or any pro's and con's for both??
smile

I really like the 3 wheeler buggy's as they are much easier to push on sand and grass we spend a lot of time at the beach and parks over the summer and I do a lot of walking so really need one.

If you don't spend much time at the beach or on large grassy areas then I would suggest a 4 wheeler buggy as they do tend to fold much smaller than a 3 wheel buggy and work fine around town and stuff.

We are planning to use one of each for this baby I will use the 4 wheel buggy for around town as the one we have picked folds up really small and will actually fit in the boot of my car. The 3 wheel buggy I have bought is quite large and doesn't fit in my boot at all but fits in my partners car's boot and will only be used for out at the beach and walks to the park so most of the time the 3 wheeler will remain folded in the closet.

I hope this helps you out a bit.
Sign in to follow this topic