Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Is Second Hand O.K? Rss

I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were. Is a second hand mattress o.k? It is in pristine condition and has only been used for 8mths. It comes from a smoke free and pet free home. But is it o.k?
We used a 2nd hand mattress for DD as it was in really good condition and just gave it a really good steam clean and vaccum. It was plastic topped so also wiped that down with disenfectant and she always has an under blanket. She is the healthiest kid and has only been sick twice in her 18mths and both times were after she started playgroup and was around other kids who had been sick lol.

I think it comes down to personal preference so at the end of the day you will need to make the final decission
If you are happy with the standard of hygiene in the home it comes for then sure 2nd hand is fine.
Personally, I have no issue with secondhand items BUT there are certain things I would only use if I knew the people they came from.

eg, a cot can come from anywhere (as long as it's not broken in any way) but a mattress I wouldn't use one if I didn't know where it came from.

Same with a carseat - i would buy one from a friend, but not a stranger, as you just never know if it might have been in an accident & they're lying. Maybe I'm just cynical!
Sign in to follow this topic