Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Hospital Birth education classes Rss

:unsure:Hi,
This is baby #1 for me and at 35 weeks it's all getting very exciting & real! We are booked in for 2 full day birth education classes at the hospital and was wondering if anyone has any opinions on wether they are worth going to. DP is not keen (his second child) and i can think of lots more things i could/need to be doing on my saturday atm.
I'm not that nervous about the birthing part, i just want to get in there and do what i have to do without thinking too much about it. Would it be silly not to go? unsure
I never went to mine... (what a pitty it flooded on the day I was suppoesed to go lol) But a few of my friends have gone an they said it becomes very boring an didn't end up taking alot of the info in.. It'll be ok if you don't go your mind an body guide you through the labour! It's truely amazing what a womans body can/will do wink

:unsure:Hi,
This is baby #1 for me and at 35 weeks it's all getting very exciting & real! We are booked in for 2 full day birth education classes at the hospital and was wondering if anyone has any opinions on wether they are worth going to. DP is not keen (his second child) and i can think of lots more things i could/need to be doing on my saturday atm.
I'm not that nervous about the birthing part, i just want to get in there and do what i have to do without thinking too much about it. Would it be silly not to go? unsure

Hey there! Im 23 wks with our first and we're booked in for our class on the 23rd October, but ours is 1 full day class (8.45am - 4pm). I cant imagine a class going for 2 full days, now thats full on!
Im quite excited about ours tho. I think we'll learn a fair bit.

I really disliked mine, i didnt learn anything and thought it was a waste of time. But there are some women on here that have been and think they are worth while.
I lived on a property when i was pregnant with DD and they werent an option. But when i came into town 1 month before the birth i contacted a doula and had a few private classes, best thing ever. She was seperate to any hospital and gave me alot of good tips for using movement etc to combat the pain during birth!! Really liked her, and will be looking her up again for the baby i have on the way.
Only go if you want to! I enjoyed mine but it wasn't a full day, it was a few one hour classes. If you feel confident and happy I say don't go, baby will come out one way or another.
biggest waste of 140.00. dnt teach you anythng you wouldnt already know and you will be suprised at what you will know..they will show you dvds of ladies giving birth and make it look so easy and not that painful, i expected pain but after i watched i thought ahh not so bad
boy was i wrong..
Hi,

I never went to them alot of friends said they are a waste of time and boring. I never wanted to know what i was going to expect when the birth came along so we didnt bother going to them. Instead we just read the books and there is alot of things you learn from reading them anyway.

All the best!!!!!!

Brocks Mummy
Hi there,

I personally thought they were a waste of time. DH and I went for DD, it was public hospital so didnt cost anything (not sure if its different elsewhere). It was a series of 3 hour visits and it was just stupid.
After showing you all the lovely birth videos, you then get dolls to practice breast feeding on, then shown horrible videos of kids with whooping cough (to make sure you immunise), then told not to worry, your body knows best.
If you feel that it could add to your knowledge of what (you think) is going to happen then you should attend. Although, my birth never went to "plan" and I kept thinking - this isn't how its spose to happen!
Believe me, even with your first bub, your body knows exactly what to do, so all I can advise is to try to stay as calm as possible and think that at the end of all this, you'll have your beautiful bub.

Good Luck with your birth.
I went to a full day class (was meant to go 2 days, but we crashed the car on the way to the second day sad )

I really enjoyed it! I guess it depends on who's taking it, but the midwife who took ours was really good, we did lots of group activities and got to meet and talk to lots of other couples who were due around the same time. We talked about pain relief options and their benefits/risks, stages of labour, things that could go wrong (a lot of these I hadn't heard of so it was good to know 'just in case'), and massage techniques for hubby to give you while you're in labour!!
I thought it was worth it and I would go again because I was quite put out that we missed the second day.

Ours was through a private hospital, and just by talking to friends who went public, the classes are very different.
Ours was 2 days also. We definitely learnt things, however, by the time the birth comes around, you've kinda forgotten everything, or more that your body just dictates what happens anyway, regardless of what planning you've done.

I would recommend going (especially if you've paid for it as we had to) but if you really don't like it, leave.
Never went to any. With my 1st baby i didnt want to know, my thought was i had an OB and between him and the midwives they would tell me what to do. In hindsight i would recommend maybe a breastfeeding class
Sign in to follow this topic