Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Caring for your Newborn
  5. Overnight Nappy Changing Protocol

Overnight Nappy Changing Protocol Rss

What are everyone's "rules" when it comes to overnight nappy changes? My 14 wk old wakes twice through the night for a feed, and for the last week, I've only been changing him for the first feed, and not the last. His nappy is usually pretty loaded by morning, but he doesn't seem to be getting nappy rash, so I was wondering if this is OK. I'm a first time mum, with absolutely no idea about these things (and I'm too embarrassed to ask anyone in person).
Cheers
PS. Oh, he's breastfed, and I use Huggies disposables, and quite a lot of Castor & Zinc cream to protect his skin.
When my son was the same age he would also wake twice a night for a feed. I always changed him and like you I always used Huggies and zinc and castor oil cream on him.

As he got older and started "sleeping through" the night. I would worry that he would leak or get a rash from being in the same nappy for so long (he would sometimes sleep for 12 hours). Well thankfully he rarely had a leak and never got a rash. So I really do think it is alright to only change your baby once during the night.

Hi there

I stopped changing DS at about 6 weeks. He still wakes twice a night at 4.5 months but don't change him as he goes straight to sleep once finished feeding. He hasn't had a rash yet

You shouldn't worry so much about nappy rash, disposables are really good at drawing the urine away from the skin. Also I haven't used any creams on either of my boys skin unless they are starting to get a rash, it really is unecessary!

i changed my first at every feed - all that did was make me go through nappies really really quickly... lol....

now that number 2 is here i only change him during the night if he has done a poo....

dispoables - especially huggies draw away moisture anyway and the zinc and castor oil cream will protect bubs skin.... its easier to put them straight back to bed after a feed without stripping them off and making them cold... so as long as the nappy isnt dirty leaving it on all night wont hurt.
i used to change DS at every night feed, but found that his nappies weren't really all that full. then i thought about when he starts sleeping through i wont be changing him while he is sleeping, so what harm is there in skipping a change at one of the feeds! now he sleeps til 4am and by then the nappy feels like a house brick! lol

DS always wears huggies too, and has never had nappy rash. i always make sure i put on zinc cream after his bath and fresh nappy, just to be safe! i think it can only be a problem if you are using nappies that don't draw as much moisture away, or if bubs has done a poo and not woken up and then it mixes with the wee and that is what causes a rash. but most bubs will wake up when they need a dirty nappy change!

Hi there

I have an 8 week old son who is currently sleeping through the night - i.e 12 hrs. In the morning yes his nappy is full sometimes but he isn't worried, and he doesn't have nappy rash.
If your little one isn't worried (ie waking up after the second feed), then I wouldn't worry about it till morning.
P.S i use huggies too and zinc/castor cream only when necessary.

[Edited on 20/10/2008]
Hi
My 4 week old twins sleep through the night. Their last bottle is at 10.00pm and they are waking at 6.00am. Nappies are full.
Don't worry about what people think if your baby is happy and your happy keep doing what your doing. Mums know best.

I use huggies I haven't put cream on their bottoms yet, but I will if needed.

Cathie
DD wears cloth nappies with a microfleece liner to draw away the moisture. If she wakes at night (which isn't very often these days), nappy change is always first up. It's usually wet, but not dirty, but there is no way we wouldn't change her anyway. I wouldn't want to be made to go back to sleep in a wet nappy, so why should she? We are pretty good at knowing when she's likely to need to go (wee or poo) during the day, and we're not going to wake her at night just to change her...but if she wakes, we would never not change her. It's not just about preventing nappy rash, but...even with the "wonders" of modern disposable nappy technology, or microfleece with a cloth nappy, I don't see why a baby should knowingly be left to sit in their own waste. We'd be appalled if our grandparent, say, was in a home and unable to care for themselves, but was knowingly left for hours without being changed. Why should we treat our children any differently?

When I first brought both of my daughters home, and when they were first waking during the night I always changed their nappy (I am a nappy rash fearer). I give my 13 week daughter one boob, then a burp and cuddle. She then gets her nappy changed and rewrapped and given the other boob. When she finishes, she gets a burp and a big quite cuddle and put back to bed. 90% of the time, she goes back to bed awake. When my girls wake during the day, I still follow this routine. I find she also knows what to expect.

For nappy rash, I found that curerash nappy cream worked wonders for healing and protecting their skin.

Enjoy your bub.

I use to change ds every time he woke up.. but this time i dont cause dd (7wks old) feeds twice during the night and falls asleep straight away. I now started aldi nappies and cause they dont leak, i dont see the need to bother.. she also doesn't poo during the night anymore.

Unless nappy rash is involved i personaly dont think its necessary to be changing every time bub wakes up.. might aswell save money also.

Will 6 July 06 - Jaida 19 Sept 08

Posted by: KirkieW
DD wears cloth nappies with a microfleece liner to draw away the moisture. If she wakes at night (which isn't very often these days), nappy change is always first up. It's usually wet, but not dirty, but there is no way we wouldn't change her anyway. I wouldn't want to be made to go back to sleep in a wet nappy, so why should she? We are pretty good at knowing when she's likely to need to go (wee or poo) during the day, and we're not going to wake her at night just to change her...but if she wakes, we would never not change her. It's not just about preventing nappy rash, but...even with the "wonders" of modern disposable nappy technology, or microfleece with a cloth nappy, I don't see why a baby should knowingly be left to sit in their own waste. We'd be appalled if our grandparent, say, was in a home and unable to care for themselves, but was knowingly left for hours without being changed. Why should we treat our children any differently?

I have to agree with you.
I changed my dd after every feed.Yes you do go through lots of nappies but that is just what babies do.
I'm using pocket nappies for my next bubs so that will save a bit of money.

Hm i'd have to agree with the vast majority of the responses here, i just don't see the sense in waking baby up when all he/she wants is to feed and go back to sleep. Like every manual and experience has shown, they WILL let you know when something's wrong, this includes having to be changed. If they aren't whinging and/or crying about it why wake them up? Generally speaking babies usually wake in the middle of the night for a little top-up feed or just to smell you, not to be changed everytime if they dont have to be. But that's just my opinion...

Sign in to follow this topic