Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Farex Lock Rss

I would be worrying less about what teat to use and spend some time getting a second opinion. What kind of crap paed advises to give an 8week old farex!?
~Ruby~Gloom~ wrote:
I would be worrying less about what teat to use and spend some time getting a second opinion. What kind of crap paed advises to give an 8week old farex!?

+1

I started my daughters on farex dissolved down in breastmilk (which it becomes sooo liquid in) at about that age. As I was breastfeeding though I can't help you with teats/bottles sorry. I just used a spoon with only a few drops on it at a time to begin with. Just wanted to comment so you know you're not alone at starting your Bub early on 'solids'.
I got a lot of horrible, mean comments about being 'cruel' for starting that early (and I told those people where to stick their opinions/research/ect). DD1 turns 4 next week and has no health problems at all.
If you do start with a spoon, just take it very slowly. My DD1 was eating 'meals' by 16 weeks where as my DD2 had no interest or ability to eat anything except Boob until about 7 months LOL

Hi Bertie

Out of curiosity (and if you don't mind sharing?) can I ask what bubs has been diagnosed with? All good if you don't want to! smile

Another way to try could be to mix up the teaspoon of farax in a little milk (like 10ml-40ml whatever makes it runny enough) then put it into the end of a number 3 teat ... So just the teat pushed into the rim but without the bottle attached. There won't be any restriction on the flow like that and you'll be able to see when it's gone. That might sound a bit fiddly but it's how I've managed to get pamol into a baby previously so may work?

Oh and be warned also - the tiniest amount of farex will change Bubs poo within hours LOL - and I am talking green and stinky! (well it did with both mine anyhow)

I'm so confused. I would think fared would make the poo issue worse not better. And why the brown sugar?! And an enema after 2 days?! Some kids go weeks without pooing. And what about "gentler" options like lactulose or coloxyl etc. As a paediatric nurse I'm really confused by all your medical advice...
Bertieb-180 wrote:
Thanks, that's part of his problem, he can't poo easily. He was twice a day without fail, then 4 weeks ago it changed and is now every 2 days. That is with using brown sugar in his milk as advised by pediatrician. If he goes over 2 days we have to use an enema as per medical advise.

I hope things are working out better for you and your bubs.
My ds is quite a bit older than yours but all of a sudden starting having troubles with poos too and we tried the brown sugar thing too. Sadly it didnt work for us, but its an old school thing i learned from my mum apparently all the mums did it back then smile
Good luck and i hope things turn around for you and dont worry you are doing your best and you are listening to the professionals good on you! People will always offer up advise/opinions some you want and some you dont but just take what you need out of it and politely ignore the rest smile

We are told to forgive and forget, but if we forget what we forgave then isn't forgiveness pointless?

Bertieb-180 wrote:
Thanks, that's part of his problem, he can't poo easily. He was twice a day without fail, then 4 weeks ago it changed and is now every 2 days. That is with using brown sugar in his milk as advised by pediatrician. If he goes over 2 days we have to use an enema as per medical advise.

OMG! You've said you're following "medical advice", but just because a dr has told you something doesn't make it good advice! Brown sugar? Farex at 8 weeks?! Alarm bells would be sounding loud and clear for me. Sorry, your ds is having a hard time and you've had bad advice, but seriously, I would be looking for new drs.
Ruby, I agree with what you are saying...solids at 8 weeks etc isn't what I would do. However, if she is a new mum and a doctor tells her to do something of course she is going to follow doctors advice as opposed to some randoms on a forum. I think the way SM worded it was more tactful.

Raspberry Sundae wrote:
To the original poster I am sorry you have felt that you needed to delete your account.

Exactly...I forgot to say that in my previous post.

Raspberry Sundae wrote:
To the original poster I am sorry you have felt that you needed to delete your account.

+1
my opinion if the baby is showing signs of wanting food, then by all means give it. i was discussing with my grandmother the other day how i started my son on solids at 3 months, she was saying the whole wait till 6 months is rubbish, she used to feed her kids earlier if they took it, and farex, she babysat my now 16 y/o cousin one night when he was few weeks old who wouldnt take the expressed breastmilk. she didnt want him to starve so made farex to the consistency of milk and for the first time ever, he slept through the night. it had filled him up.

Sign in to follow this topic