Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Feed off both breasts?? Rss

Just wondering, my DD is 10 days old and BF has been going pretty well. Whilst I was engorged, I fed from only one side and she settled well between feeds. Today I have started offering her both breasts at a feed and she has been more unsettled. She seemed to have a lot of gas and tummy pain.
When I was feeding off one side this never happened.
Unsure what to do??

Just wondering, my DD is 10 days old and BF has been going pretty well. Whilst I was engorged, I fed from only one side and she settled well between feeds. Today I have started offering her both breasts at a feed and she has been more unsettled. She seemed to have a lot of gas and tummy pain.
When I was feeding off one side this never happened.
Unsure what to do??

I only ever feed off one breast at a time and don't need the other side. I had a big bub (4.74kg) and there is plenty of milk in one breast for him. One of the midwives told me to only ever feed off one breast as the initial milk in the breast has a lot of sugars and often feeding off 2 breasts can give them a lot of wind. So if you can stick to one side.
hi there my DD2 is 6 wks and ive been mainly feeding off one boob and express the other. for some reason she always gets fussy and its not comfy feeding her on my right boob but shes fine on my left, so i just express the other side and give it to her in a bottle if she still hungry after shes finished on boob
Thanks for the replies. I rang te midwives at the hospital and they suggested just do the one side. We did this and she seemed more settled yesterday.
Suits me too, dont have to worry abiut switching in public.
Wasn't a successful feeder with my son, so feels like a new experience!!

This is what I do. Feed off one breast until bub lets go. Burp. Then put back on until bub comes off. I then Burp and then offer the other side. Bub can feed off this side for as long or as little as they want.

Next feed I start with the breast I finished on.

Does that make sense. It took a while before my bubs ever wanted the other side.

Make sure that you are completely draining/ emptying the first breast before offering the second.

Congratulations on you bub and for breastfeeding. smile

this is what we do too

Sign in to follow this topic