Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Feeding your Newborn
  5. Support for bottle feeding mums

Support for bottle feeding mums Rss

Mums bottle feed for different reasons and I dont believe there is much support out there for mums that bottle feed which absoultly sucks as they are then made to feel like they are doing the wrong thing - this is the impression Ive got anyways.. Dont get me wrong, i understand that "Breast Is best" But is it always? If mums not happy then is baby happy?

Any ways i guess im just posting to see how many mums out there are interested in forming a group to support each other with bottle feeding:)
I aggree, I never felt comfortable about breastfeeding so I expressed and bottle feed. You would think no one would have a problem with this as baby is still getting breastmilk. But I still got "why don't you breastfeed , just try it" "its easier".
They just never got it that it suited me to do this and my partner was able to help aswell. What does it matter aslong as baby is being feed and clean and is happy.
I agree with you!
There are alot of mum's like myself who couldn't breastfeed for medical reasons (I did for nearly 3mths with a HUGE amount of support!) but still people just assume I gave up cos this was the "easy option".
With today being the "Big Latch-on" and all the talk and promotion around this, I would love to start a "Bottle's Up!" campaign!
Go the Bottle Fed Kids! smile

I agree as well, I am all for bottle feeding and have always felt that I am looked down on because of that choice, it's just that tone of voice people use when they find out you bottle feed. I have never been comfortable with breastfeeding. And I dont think choosing not to breastfeed should make me a "bad" mother
agreed! i cant breast feed.. so bottle feeding is the only option.
i dont think theres anything wrong with bottle feeding anyway.
mum did it with 3 out of 4 of us. and we all turned out fine! grin
I agree, i so desperatly wanted to breast feed. i was only able to for 3 weeks before my milk dried up on its own. i spent the first week in hospital with DD as she lost too much weight and wasnt gaining any which i think was due to the fact that my milk just didnt have enough nutrients in it to fill her up and after a few days i said to the midwife that i think id like to move to bottle feeding because i was getting depressed with the fact that she was always crying because she was still hungry and i would have to feed her for at least an hour and when she had finished she was only content for about 30 mins before screaming for more but she insisted i continue and not give up on it so i was made to get up every 3 hours to go and express and breast feed and then settle her then by the time id gotten back to sleep it was almost time to get up and start all over again. after 3 weeks i think i was glad that it had dried up because id had enough. as soon as she moved to the bottle and we found the right formula she was such a happy baby who rarely cried. i wish i had have just gone with my feelings after the 3rd or 4th day and went to the bottle.
You are quite right. When I had my baby, I had to put him on formula else he would have starved basically!

Everywhere I looked there were support groups and coffee mornings etc for breastfeeding mothers. I do think these support groups are worthy and important to support breastfeeding mothers but bottle feeding comes with challenges and emotions too. Many bottle feeding Mums feel guilty for their choice, have to deal with criticism and have questions as to quantity of feeds, types of formula, feeding problems etc. This too warrants support.

You kind of feel excluded from the breastfeeding groups and that can make Mums feel worse if they had set their heart on breastfeeding but couldn't.
I would love to join a group for bottle feeding mums! Might help me get rid of the guilty feelings for not being able to breast feed my bub, even though I express full time, a little support would be great smile
Agree!! I couldn't breastfeed DD past 3 months as I developed a horrific abscess and I had no milk by the time she was 3 months old. Lets just say bottle feeding her in public made me feel soooo uncomfortable!! It felt like everyone was judging me and I hated it!

I agree with you!
There are alot of mum's like myself who couldn't breastfeed for medical reasons (I did for nearly 3mths with a HUGE amount of support!) but still people just assume I gave up cos this was the "easy option".
With today being the "Big Latch-on" and all the talk and promotion around this, I would love to start a "Bottle's Up!" campaign!
Go the Bottle Fed Kids! smile

the big latch on is to promote breast feeding, make it out there so women arn't forced to cover up. and still you have the older gentration saying you don't have to push it in there face.

anyway i breast fed myfirst till one my second to 4 months based on shocking advice, and currently feed my third still, advice about bottle feeding you do have support from most people in todays day and age depending on when you live,

i was just coming on to ask are you the ob from Wanaka NZ??? i am from Alex
I totally agree that bottle feeding mums are made to feel guilty about their decision not to breast feed. Unfortunately it's not always by choice that mums bottle feed. I was one of those who was unable to breast feed and eventhough a nurse told me that I shouldn't feel guilty about it and that there is nothing wrong with giving babies formula I sometimes still feel guilty because of all the advertising on 'BREAST Is BEST' and all the support groups out there for them. My bub is now 10 months old and very healthy and thriving well. So not being able to give him breast milk hasn't done any harm at all!
I breast fed for the first 6 weeks but then i didn't have enough milk, id have less than 50ml 4 hours after a feed and baby was constantly hungry, everyone said the more i fed the more milk i would make but it just wasn't happening so i had to buy formula. I dont know many people with babies but i do still get people asking why i dont breast feed and telling me that i should. I thought it might have been because of my age (im 20 and look about 17 and there are people who disapprove) but i see on here other people get the same thing. Also when i was pregnant i wasn't really sure i wanted to breast feed because i knew i would feel uncomfortable doing it in public but found that at antenatal i was really pressured to breast feed, if i said i wasn't sure i was just told "oh but you have to" there definitely needs to be more support. Although when i was breast feeding i had people ask why i was doing that when i could just give him a bottle. You can't win lol :/
Sign in to follow this topic