Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

HELP.. Low milk supply Rss

Ok so this is reallly important to me. I HAVE to do this!!! I feel that I failed breast feeding the last 2 times and I really want to get this. I DID have it right then my supply went down even more... Here's what I am doing but nothing is helping...

-Taking domperidone tablets (prescription)
-Taking Fennugreek tablets (natural ones)
-Expressing after every feed
-Eating 3 good quality meals a day
-Drinking 3L or more of water a day (This one sucks!!)
-Eating HEAPS of lactation boosting cookies
-Eating heaps of peanuts
-Feeding more often

But it's going further and further downhill. I have spoken to lactation consultants and even been hospitalised because my baby was losing weight. This is so frustrating. I can do it, I know I can. The only problem is I don't have enough milk to give her. She's pulling away and getting cranky at the breast. I have been over and over websites...

Please, any more ideas? I am willing to try anything that won't harm my baby.

Hi,

Okay without knowing exactly what is hapening here, it's hard but will chuck some things out there anyway. LOL

So is she losing weight or not gaining alot of weight? I have "poor" gainers" but other than the losses at birth they haven't ever lost weight. Have you looked at "hidden" hinderances to milk supply like thyroid/iron levels being off, retained placenta, large blood loss at birth? Are you on any hormonal form of birth control? It really is hard without knowing your exact situation to throw things out there. One that can be an issue, though not saying it is with you, is breast damage either through an augmentation (reduction or "upsizing")or accident. Could she have reflux?

That's probably not helped really........but those are the most "obvious" things. Have you tried breast compression? I had to do these for a while to try and get more milk into Alex and we did "switch" nursing at times when I felt that supply was "low"; so he'd get put on the first side until he got a bit fussy, then got put on the second side until fussy, and then back to the first side etc until he was calm.

Christina

Hi Christina, I am losing a lot of hair (this was happening before I was pregnant also so it's not just from having a bub), in clumps so I have a suspision about my thyroid but the doctor said that it wouldn't affect it. So he's testing for everything meaning I have to have a fasting blood test! But I'll do anything to try and help it all. Yes I lost alot of blood at birth. I have heard this can affect it, I have no idea how - do you know? Will my supply get better if this is the cause? Yes she lost lots of weight but now is slowly gaining. No one can believe she is 4 weeks old! She's so tiny. My boobies are all mine, they haven't been changed so that's ruled out LOL!

I looked through Kellymom throughly last night and found out lots of information so I am also tryingbreast compression, switch nursing, etc.

And I have upped my domperidone!

I am 5 weeks post partum and I know how stressful it is. Water will not produce more milk but it makes sure you have enough for you, which is very important. You sound like you are trying very hard and I know how upsetting it must be for you.
I lost my mik due to mastisis infection and blocked ducts. I was able to retrieve it though a few days later. It may sound really stupid but I wore loose bras, hot showers, anything that relaxed me, and most importantly eat ALFALFA. I thought it was an old wives tale but it worked for me. With you expressing try looking touching nursing you baby you may find you can collect more milk when you do, make sure your as comfortable as possible with noone around. On a harder note stop all caffeine and junk food intake as they decrease your milk supply and quality of it.
It is hard to understand what the problem is without more info, do you have milk and can't get a proper let down? In this case I suggest you ask your doctor for an ultrasound on breasts as the crystals(not harmful) help somehow(it worked for me when I had engorgement of breasts.
The other question is your bubby girl. When she gets cranky I am sure it upsets you as well and this will also make it hard on your milk supply. I was told some babies just breast refuse because they find it too hard for them and they tire. Also you could check that you bub is not tongue tied (i just left a post which does explain what they do then).
I found a good website during my pregnancy you will just have to check with doctor as I have not tried these:following herbs: fenugreek, blessed thistle, nettle, anise, dill, fennel seed, goat's rue, raspberry leaf, and alfalfa. Motherlove's More Milk contains blessed thistle, nettle, and fennel seed. More Milk Plus contains fenugreek seed, blessed thistle, nettle and fennel seed. More Milk Two, for women who are nursing an older baby and are pregnant, contains raspberry leaf, nettles and alfalfa. Our newest combination More Milk Special Blend, adds Goat's Rue to the popular More Milk Plus formula. Avoid parsley and sage, which decrease breast milk.
Try visuallizing you with abunadance of milk for bub, as well friend used that and it worked and stimulated breasts every 2 hours on each breast for at least 5 min each may help. Good luck I hope it comes, but if it doesn't just remember you have done the best you can , and you now just have to do what is best for you and her. I was unable to breast feed bubby and in end had to give up expressing as It was hard an long (took me away from quality time with bub).
Posted by: Amber-87
Hi Christina, I am losing a lot of hair (this was happening before I was pregnant also so it's not just from having a bub), in clumps so I have a suspision about my thyroid but the doctor said that it wouldn't affect it. So he's testing for everything meaning I have to have a fasting blood test!

UNTREATED thyroid issues can cause a huge impact on milk supply, especially if the thyroid is underactive. Mine has been under control for over 15 years so milk supply hasn't been an issue for me; if anything I had too much milk for ages. LOL

Yes I lost alot of blood at birth. I have heard this can affect it, I have no idea how - do you know? Will my supply get better if this is the cause?

I did find this but it doesn't really explain WHY, just that it is common. I know that alot of places won't let you donate blood while you are bf so I can only assume that heamoglobin levels (red blood cells) have a major impact on how milk is produced. Will see if I can do some more digging. Have you tried the ABA, they might have some ideas on that one. From what I can tell, decreased iron levels inhibit milk supply so if you lost alot of blood your iron levels might not be up to scratch; I think iron supplements are okay to take while bf so if you get put on those you might start to see a change. If you google "blood loss and low milk supply" you can find all sorts of things that might help....or further confuse the issue. LOL

Yes she lost lots of weight but now is slowly gaining. No one can believe she is 4 weeks old! She's so tiny.

I know all about tiny babies. LOL He was born at 3.9kg but at 16 months is probably only about 8.5kg; there's nothing wrong with him, he's just "small". DS1 was the same so I watched Alex and other things like nappy output and his overall demeanor to determine if he was getting enough milk, even though he wasn't gaining at a great rate of knots. The thing to remember is that bf babies gain weight differently to ff babies and to top it off they probably don't gain every week so weekly weight checks can actually do more "harm" than good because you aren't getting a good picture of what is happening.

My boobies are all mine, they haven't been changed so that's ruled out LOL!

Okay, had to throw it out there because it can impact and sometimes women when they make those decisions don't necessarily take into account the future babies they might have and how they will feed them so they don't ask what impact it can have.

I looked through Kellymom throughly last night and found out lots of information so I am also tryingbreast compression, switch nursing, etc.

Kellymom is good and the ABA's website might be a good place to try too, I know they have forums too so you might find some more information there.

Good luck, hang in there and well done for getting where you have with all the issues you are having. <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>] Keep us posted, nosy cow that I am always likes to know how things go.

Christina

p.s......if I can find anymore links that might be of interest I will try and remember to post them.

Hi, I had a milk supply problem when my baby was only a week old. We went back to hospital also because she was losing weight not a lot but she hadn't gained any weight on day 10.
I was feeding all the time and it didn't seem to be helping.
Hearing that bubs is fussy on the breast makes me want to sugest to you to express and feed your little girl from a bottle not only to see if she'll feed that way but also to see how much she is actually drinking.
When she is on the breast is she continually sucking with a good rythum or is she always fussy on the boob?
Because if bubs isn't sucking properly that wont encourage your milk supply, but by expressing reguarly this should encourage your supply.
You just have to remember to relax because the more stressed by it you get the less likely it will work. I know easier said than done but you have to try if feeding on the breast is what you really want to do.
Please just remember that no matter what, you have done your best and that is all you can do.
All the best Jo.
Sign in to follow this topic