Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. How long does it take you to get your little one to sleep?

How long does it take you to get your little one to sleep? Rss

Sleep and settling are amongst the biggest challenges faced by new parents. Have you got any tips to share with new mums and dads?
Hi there. I have 2 boys 6years and 4 months, I have learnt from experiance that you can't make a baby sleep when you want them too, they will sleep when they get tired. With my boys, the tireder they are, the easier and quicker it is for them to fall asleep. Especially with my baby as my 6 year old just puts himself to bed these days but with my 4 month old I try to keep him awake for as long as possible before bed time, that way he is extremely tired and falls asleep almost instantly when it's time. And sleeps quite well, 5-6 hour stretches at a time each night. So that's my little tip. Keep them awake and basically exhaust them lol
Much easier for mum and baby to sleep well when baby is really tired.

My son was sleeping through the night, up to 8 hours at a time by 6 weeks. I kept him up late and tried not to let him sleep much through the day which wasn't difficult with all the relatives visiting. I also found that putting baby to bed awake and with the light off helped transition from nursing to independent sleep. For some parents it can be quite difficult to not nurse their newborn to sleep but trust me, its worth it in the long run. A friend of mine still has to nurse her 2 year old to sleep or she wont settle.
Sign in to follow this topic