Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 7week old just wont sleep

7week old just wont sleep Rss

my 7 wk old just will not sleep. he got a maximum of 2 hours sleep yesterday during the day...and may i say that was not all at once.that was about 5 different sleep periods. then he woke up 5 times during the night between 9pm and 7.30am....hes had 20mins sleep since then....and now he just wont sleep.

he's so overtired, he's just had a feed so he's not hungry! im pretty sur eits not wind cause its been 30mins since his last feed!

help please.

any ideas on how i can get him to sleep a decent amount?

my 7 wk old just will not sleep. he got a maximum of 2 hours sleep yesterday during the day...and may i say that was not all at once.that was about 5 different sleep periods. then he woke up 5 times during the night between 9pm and 7.30am....hes had 20mins sleep since then....and now he just wont sleep.

he's so overtired, he's just had a feed so he's not hungry! im pretty sur eits not wind cause its been 30mins since his last feed!

help please.

any ideas on how i can get him to sleep a decent amount?

Firstly, congratulations on your little boy. Little boys are wonderful gifts, although you might not think so right at this moment LOL.

Secondly, how are you settling him down? Wraps usually do the trick, and the dummy can also provide relief.
Wrap him using a cotton or muslin wrap, arms up near his face for comfort and then place on his back for sleep.
A musical CD, or even white noise from the radio can help, sometimes utter silence cannot be tolerated by some babies for sleep.
Also, is it too hot or cold for him? Temperature in babies room for best sleeping conditions is around 20 degrees. Then a sleepsuit, wrap and light blanket is sufficient for sleep.

If all else fails, to get him over the overtiredness and back into a normal pattern, a walk in the pram may just get him to nod off and have a decent sleep. Once he is over the overtiredness, he may be happy enough to drop off more regularly and for longer.

Best of luck with it.

His Royal Highness, Prince William

I had the same problem with my DD. I thought I was a hopeless mum but I wasn't I just needed a settling technique. This is what worked for me, I got it from my child health nurse.

1: Give dummy
2: Wrap bub firmly
3: Rock in arms (at this age you might have to do it until he is asleep but as he gets to 12 weeks you can teach him to self settle by putting him down awake).
4: Put down & tuck in firmly
5: Exit the room
6: When he cries/whimpers leave him for 2-4 mins but don't allow to get hysterical. Go into him, don't make eye contact, pick him up if hysterical otherwise pat/sooth bub for 30 secs or until settle & exit the rooom again.
7: Continue this process for 1/2 hr & if still not settled get him up & try again next time

This worked for me after only 1-2 days. They also suggest to remove all stimulation, thats why you can't make eye contact, so remove mobiles, toys, music ect. You can also experiment with what works for you, I had a summer bub so having the fan on was good to keep her cool & a constant low buzz. Giving her her dummy without picking her up & patting her on the shoulder/tummy worked for me but maybe stroking bubs head or something might work for you. Make the room as dark as you can & have a constant bedtime routine, do the same thing each time. People say you can't keep everything quiet, a baby has to fit into your life but in the early months when you just want bub to sleep it helps! I can't reccommend wrapping enough too.

Good luck, I hope this helps.
thanks for your help girls. he hates his dummies. everytime i try to give it to him he spits it out. but he'll gladly suck on my finger. i thought maybe it was cause my finger is warm...like the boob lol. so i tried warming the dummy up and squirting some breast milk on it so he thinks its the boob but he still wouldnt take it. i tried wrapping him the other day only to have a massive tantrum thrown for 20mins until i unwrapped him and he was asleep within 5minutes.
i must say the wrapping has worked for him today.
I have always made it so he cant see anything stimulating. i got a plain white bassinet and plain white sheets...the walls are white and theres only one dark green curtain that he is able to see from his bassinet.
i walked around the house about 20 times and hes asleep.finally. he's usually fine with settling down so long as im bouncing him...but the past 2 days hes been a bit uneasy. i took him to the car racing on sunday....i didnt go anywhere near the track so it shouldnt have been too noisy for him...but he still may have got a headache. i gave him 2ml of parecetamol 30mins ago so maybe thats calmed the little niggle he might have going on.
Big hugs to you!!! Myself and one of the other girls is going through the same thing, I have had it almost non stop since birth. I have found a small amount of success if I can get the bed to roughly the same temp as her. At the moment that is easy I just warm the bed with a wheat pack and move it to the side when I put her down (it is usually the same temp as my skin by then) I have noticed if I put her down she seems to notice change in temp and that wakes her up. Also I have a fan going in the room (not facing her) the white noise helps. I'm sure you already know this, trying to settle as soon as they show signs of tiredness and not letting them get overtired and start crying. Swaddling works sometimes with mine. It is a hard slog, if you want to chat you can PM me and I will go through with you all the tricks the CHN has got me to try. I am now being referred to a sleep clinic with mine. Good luck !!!

Sounds like you've got it! My DD didn't like the dummy at first either. It wasn't until a tearful (mum) & noisy (DD) ride to a chemist late one night when the BF had completely failed that I just kept shoving it in to keep her quiet for the understanding driver (dad). My friend also reccommends a natural calming med by Brauers, I haven't used this one but I use their Colic relief & teething relief & they are great.
Around 6-7 weeks babies go through their first 'growth spurt', where they become clingy and cranky and don't sleep. The frequent night waking is often so they can feed more to get your milk up for the growing they are about to go through. It is not uncommon for them to feed every hour or so for a couple of days before returning to normal. There is a great book called "Wonder Weeks" that helps you to understand what the different growth spurts are about; what baby is going through developmentally. It can make it easier to cope if you know why they are behaving the way they are.

In terms of other settling methods, Harvey Karp's Five S's theory has worked well for me and my mothers group. They are swaddling, sucking, side/stomach, shusshing and swinging. There are a few video demonstrations on the net.

You could try applying a bit of outward pressure to the dummy by pulling it gently to encourage him to suck on it, just until he is used to it.
try using a swaddle blanket it is the best investment that i ever made. As some of the others have suggested a dummy always worked for me too. But just remember when your at the end of your tether there is always someone waiting in the wings to give him a cuddle so mummy can have a sleep. Hope all goes well for you and good luck. Jenny
not sure if you've got this sorted yet but I thought I'd add my 2 cents..
My daughter went through this exact same thing at that age, it was driving me mad.. then I noticed that she would fall asleep everytime I put her on her tummy for 'tummy time' but would wake up as soon as I rolled her on her back to continue sleeping. So I tried putting her in her cot on her belly when she started getting tired and she would fall aslepp in less than a minute and would stay alseep for at least a couple of hours. Now she she sleeps on her belly everytime during the day and only sleeps on her back at night when I'm not able to watch her.
So perhaps you could try different sleeping positions too?
I wrote my own Android app to put my baby to sleep (colic). You may try that also, it's free on the market (Baby Soother FREE). Good luck!
I had exactly the same problem. I work night shift and my wife is in real estate. Her loss of sleep had a huge impact on her work and it was devastating to see my loving wife in that state. I came across an insane trick developed by a child psychologist that would put any baby to sleep. One little man click on this link https://318dagkbr4-um20agk59t20u07.hop.clickban... to watch the video. Hope this will be of help to you and others. It made a huge impact to our lives.
What to do so that a baby give a better sleep?
Sign in to follow this topic