Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

PND? Lock Rss

So Ive just had my 2nd child 6wks ago and have a 3yr old also. I suffered PND with my first but never used medication to treat it as my partner at the time wouldn't allow me to. I have now moved on and am engaged to my now partner n father of my second child and everything should be great. When I step back from my life and look at it its perfect I have everything I need and more and a beautiful loving family to boot but I hate everything and just want to run away from it all. I tried breastfeeding both children n failed both times and am a stay at home mum now again and had a terrible pregnancy-I was sick for 9mths and went into labour at 31wks and had to be rushed to Brisbane (im in Bundaberg) where they managed to stop it after nearly 24hrs but I was on my own nearly the entire time I was in labour n it was the scariest experience of my life and I have been scared of being on my own since it happened. Now Ive had my son I am no longer sick all the time but still feel really depressed n still scared and anxious when I'm on my own. Im on my own all day every day with the kids now as my partner works very big hrs n hes gone b4 the sun comes up n is lucky if hes home b4 it goes down and the kids r driving me nuts! My 3yr old daughter wont get out from under my feet constantly and I find myself screaming at her all the time now which is terrible I just get sooo angry I cant control how I react to her. When my son is crying I somtimes just look at him and wish he would stop becuase I dont want to pick him up n deal with him again-I love him and hate that I even contemplate just leaving him to cry instead of attending his needs-I havent yet I have always picked him up after hes crying but I find its gettin longer n longer before I do pick him up. I cry all the time n find myself in a ball on the floor hiding from the kids and hitting walls which I have never done and yet I am so angry I just have to hit somthing n I dont dare be near my kids when I feel like this-I wait til i calm down b4 I go back to them coz Im scared of losing it n hurting one of the kids-I feel like the worst mum in the world n i feel silly coz I should be able to cope and be happy but im just not and it is even starting to affect my relationship with my fiance to the point where we are now post-poning the wedding-I dunno if the things i get angry about with him r real or Im just losing it with him for no reason too coz i just cant cope anymore n I feel like he should be able to fix everything but he catn n that makes me angry-thats stupid i no. I even did try to get help I went n saw my doctor n he told me I was full of *** its jsut baby blues have a blood test n fuk off basically-I have changed doctors now and have an appointment tomoro arv coz my finace wants me to go but im now scared of being told im full of *** again and dunno if im even going to be able tot ell the doctor how im feeling as i dotn want to be judged like the other doc did. I dont know if this even makes sense but I just need help n have no idea wat to do anymore. I have no friends and nowhere to turn so Im posting here...
Oh honey you poor thing. I looks to me like you may be suffering PND again. And its nothing to be ashamed of, but it does need to be assessed and you will probably need to go on some kind of medication just to get you out of this rut you are in!!! I suffered from PND with both of my 2 babies and I am pregnant with my 3rd and have come to terms I may get it again!! But I am prepared and willing to go back on the medication if the doctor advises me to!!

If you find that you dont have the support of the doctor go to your local maternity health or community health and talk to one of the nurses there. they will point you in the right direction.

You need to try and get your finace to with you so he can understand PND and see what he can do to help you through it!!
OH hun im so sorry your feeling like this. The first thing is you are probably exhausted! I have just had my DD who is now almost 5 months and my DS is 2. The first few months was honestly just chaos, i felt that i was slipping into a depression as well, but realised that it was more to do with my circumstances...anyways no suggesting thats the case for you, just want you to know that you are not alone in feeling totally overwhelmed by everything.

I think your old dr sounds like an absolute ASS and i would not be ever going back there. Try not to worry about the new dr doing the same thing to you, i think you were just very unlucky to get that dr. I'd just explain how your feeling, and tell them how you felt when the other dr turned you away so that they realise you really are trying to reach out and its not the first time you have tried. And thats another thing, the fact that you are reaching out for help is really really great, thats the first step to feeling better. Maybe some anti depressants might just be what you need to help you for a little while? Anyway the dr will make that judgement.

Please dont be so hard on yourself, a newborn is full on! And i think walking away from the kids and taking a moment to compose yourself is the best thing to do in those times of frustration. You are doing ok! Just trust in yourself that you are capable, dont beat yourself up for being tired, as crazy as it is at the moment, just know that it wont be like this forever and you wont feel like this for much longer. I wish you all the best, and may tomorrow be a fresh day for you and i hope things seem a little brighter xx
With my first baby I thougth it was all going to be fairly basic and I would be great!!! I would give birth naturally and be able to breastfeed straight away and everything would be perfect!!! How wrong was I.....

My beautiful little DS was born by emergency c section after 48 hours of labour and dilating 3 cms, and he becoming distressed and his heart rate dropping during a contraction and rising too high when it finished. I found out 3 days later that the cord was wrapped around his neck and restricted his breathing when i had a contraction which made his heart rate drop and when it stopped it rose to high as he was freaking out!!! If he had been born naturally he wouldnt have made it!!! He then spent 2 days in the special care nursery and without my permission or knowledge he was given 40 mls of formula to build up his immune system. My milk didnt come through for nearly a week so everytime i tired him on the breast he was so used to getting a feed he sucked so hard he nearly ripped off my nipples. After 2 weeks of expressing more blood then milk I gave up and gave him formula which at the time was the most devastating thing that could have happened. I felt like a failure of a mother and found myself not wanting to be anywhere near my son. I felt like he would have been better of without me and hated myself so much. it was such a hard time and it took me 7 months to go and seek help as I was too scared to tell anyone in case they agreed with me and took my son away!!! Once I spoke to someone about it, it got so much better, my maternal health nurse made a dr appointment for me and came with me and my husband and between the 4 of us worked out a plan to help me get back on track and once the medication kicked in (it will take up to 3 weeks to start working!) I starting to realise I wasnt a bad mum b ut I did need to start asking for help!!!

So Ive just had my 2nd child 6wks ago and have a 3yr old also. I suffered PND with my first but never used medication to treat it as my partner at the time wouldn't allow me to. I have now moved on and am engaged to my now partner n father of my second child and everything should be great. When I step back from my life and look at it its perfect I have everything I need and more and a beautiful loving family to boot but I hate everything and just want to run away from it all. I tried breastfeeding both children n failed both times and am a stay at home mum now again and had a terrible pregnancy-I was sick for 9mths and went into labour at 31wks and had to be rushed to Brisbane (im in Bundaberg) where they managed to stop it after nearly 24hrs but I was on my own nearly the entire time I was in labour n it was the scariest experience of my life and I have been scared of being on my own since it happened. Now Ive had my son I am no longer sick all the time but still feel really depressed n still scared and anxious when I'm on my own. Im on my own all day every day with the kids now as my partner works very big hrs n hes gone b4 the sun comes up n is lucky if hes home b4 it goes down and the kids r driving me nuts! My 3yr old daughter wont get out from under my feet constantly and I find myself screaming at her all the time now which is terrible I just get sooo angry I cant control how I react to her. When my son is crying I somtimes just look at him and wish he would stop becuase I dont want to pick him up n deal with him again-I love him and hate that I even contemplate just leaving him to cry instead of attending his needs-I havent yet I have always picked him up after hes crying but I find its gettin longer n longer before I do pick him up. I cry all the time n find myself in a ball on the floor hiding from the kids and hitting walls which I have never done and yet I am so angry I just have to hit somthing n I dont dare be near my kids when I feel like this-I wait til i calm down b4 I go back to them coz Im scared of losing it n hurting one of the kids-I feel like the worst mum in the world n i feel silly coz I should be able to cope and be happy but im just not and it is even starting to affect my relationship with my fiance to the point where we are now post-poning the wedding-I dunno if the things i get angry about with him r real or Im just losing it with him for no reason too coz i just cant cope anymore n I feel like he should be able to fix everything but he catn n that makes me angry-thats stupid i no. I even did try to get help I went n saw my doctor n he told me I was full of *** its jsut baby blues have a blood test n fuk off basically-I have changed doctors now and have an appointment tomoro arv coz my finace wants me to go but im now scared of being told im full of *** again and dunno if im even going to be able tot ell the doctor how im feeling as i dotn want to be judged like the other doc did. I dont know if this even makes sense but I just need help n have no idea wat to do anymore. I have no friends and nowhere to turn so Im posting here...

aw poor sweetheart you need to get some help, dont be ashamed or feel silly or guilty, having a baby is a very big deal and having a toddler aswell is so bloody hard. You are not alone, many women feel this way, it is really hard looking after little completly dependant souls who rely on you for everything and the first three months of 2nd bubs arrival is definately the hardest. First step is to get yourself to the local 'child health clinic' if you havnt already. This is where you might be going for bubs weigh-ins each week, they run all sorts of work shops and activity groups, play groups etc but they also have a midwife there most of the time to answer any questions and refer you in the right driection for help with any parenting issue at all. My local one is fantastic and I can not speak highly enough of the service and support I got through them. My first born had reflux and was a terrible sleeper , I was going nuts when the midwife first referred me to a day stay clinic for help and when that failed I went to a week stay place at Brisbane where me and bub stayed to work things out, it was all free. I also had PND with my 2nd and went to the clinic regulary for councelling and another service available is there will be a local nurse/coucellor/child whisperer lol that you will be able to access with a referal who can come to your home to talk and help you with issues with the kids, you can get 5 or something home visits covered by medicare. I would waste no time in finding your local clinic, you will find that they are very caring and helpful and that there are playgroups you can join to meet people and support groups also. I do not have any family here to help me either and the clinic is a godsend, I feel completely confident most of the time with any major issues because I know I can go straight up there for help and support, its like my backup plan, and no issue is too big to overcome with their help. I dont mean to go on but you can also take your 3yr old with you to the clinic because it will be decked out with toys and books and stuff, I sometimes go up to the clinic just because its a rainy day and we wont to get out of the house, my boys love playing with their toys. Hang in there, things will get better. I wish I was closer i would come straight over and be your angel.
Please keep reaching out until you find the support that you need. Your Child Health Centre may also be worth a try.

We also have some additional links to support groups in our community which may also be good references.

Take care <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>
Well I have managed to finally get the help that I need. I am having fortnightly counselling sessions with my new doctor until I can get into see the psychologist and have been put on Lexa-pro anti-depressants. That was a week ago and as a side effect of the tablets that I was warned about I am not sleeping at all now and am very very agitated and depressed and have not done anything all week except for what I absoloutely have to like bottles n the washing-dishes are still piled up and floor is messy but I just don't feel like doing anything. Hoping these tablets start making me feel better soon coz right now im just gettin worse n it sux!!
hi,
I'm also on Lexapro and have been for 7 months, the first few weeks were really strange for me, I felt nauseous and spun out but it did settle down and i think they have made a huge difference.
Give abit longer but if you feel they aren't right for you your dr can change them, they are so many different types of ant idepressants out there and it may take a few different tries before you find the one that works for you.
I hope you start feeling better soon.

With my first baby I thougth it was all going to be fairly basic and I would be great!!! I would give birth naturally and be able to breastfeed straight away and everything would be perfect!!! How wrong was I.....

My beautiful little DS was born by emergency c section after 48 hours of labour and dilating 3 cms, and he becoming distressed and his heart rate dropping during a contraction and rising too high when it finished. I found out 3 days later that the cord was wrapped around his neck and restricted his breathing when i had a contraction which made his heart rate drop and when it stopped it rose to high as he was freaking out!!! If he had been born naturally he wouldnt have made it!!! He then spent 2 days in the special care nursery and without my permission or knowledge he was given 40 mls of formula to build up his immune system. My milk didnt come through for nearly a week so everytime i tired him on the breast he was so used to getting a feed he sucked so hard he nearly ripped off my nipples. After 2 weeks of expressing more blood then milk I gave up and gave him formula which at the time was the most devastating thing that could have happened. I felt like a failure of a mother and found myself not wanting to be anywhere near my son. I felt like he would have been better of without me and hated myself so much. it was such a hard time and it took me 7 months to go and seek help as I was too scared to tell anyone in case they agreed with me and took my son away!!! Once I spoke to someone about it, it got so much better, my maternal health nurse made a dr appointment for me and came with me and my husband and between the 4 of us worked out a plan to help me get back on track and once the medication kicked in (it will take up to 3 weeks to start working!) I starting to realise I wasnt a bad mum b ut I did need to start asking for help!!!
Sign in to follow this topic