Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Anyone taking Lexapro? Lock Rss

I've just got home from the Dr as I've been feeling down, moody an completely not myself since i first had DD1 3 yrs ago. The Dr has told me I have depression an has put me on Lexapro.

Is anyone else taking Lexapro? or has taken it? An did/do you get any side effects?
I've had Lexapro and mood wise it was good. The main reason I went off it is (this may be TMI) it's a libdo killer. You can function sexually, but no orgasim. Everyone has different reactions or side effect to it, so I would still give it a try. You can look it up in google and find out more.

I've had Lexapro and mood wise it was good. The main reason I went off it is (this may be TMI) it's a libdo killer. You can function sexually, but no orgasim. Everyone has different reactions or side effect to it, so I would still give it a try. You can look it up in google and find out more.

Thats what I was worried about!! Thanks for that. I did a google search aswell just wanted to know peoples experiences with it.
I'm on it too and I was worried about that side effect too but never happened to me. For me they r a miracle and your not necessarily going to get the side effects. During the first 2 weeks I felt a bit spaced out but after that good as gold.
Good luck

I'm on it too and I was worried about that side effect too but never happened to me. For me they r a miracle and your not necessarily going to get the side effects. During the first 2 weeks I felt a bit spaced out but after that good as gold.
Good luck

Have you gained any weight since being on it? cause I'm really worried about that as I'm trying to loose it an only have 4 wks left to do it.
Also did it stuff up your period at all?

Have you gained any weight since being on it? cause I'm really worried about that as I'm trying to loose it an only have 4 wks left to do it.
Also did it stuff up your period at all?

No weight gain and periods did not change at all. In all honesty so far no side effects to report for me but every one is different. I was very reluctant to start lexapro as I'd never been on antidepressants before but I suffer from anxiety, well, that's not accurate because I don't suffer any more thanks to the pills smile but me and my gp discussed all the pros and cons as she knew I wanted to have another child soon but she said they were fine to take and the benefits to me definitely out weighed the possible side effects. Have u tried therapy? That's another thing that really helped me and if ur not sure on the pills maybe try that first.

No weight gain and periods did not change at all. In all honesty so far no side effects to report for me but every one is different. I was very reluctant to start lexapro as I'd never been on antidepressants before but I suffer from anxiety, well, that's not accurate because I don't suffer any more thanks to the pills smile but me and my gp discussed all the pros and cons as she knew I wanted to have another child soon but she said they were fine to take and the benefits to me definitely out weighed the possible side effects. Have u tried therapy? That's another thing that really helped me and if ur not sure on the pills maybe try that first.

I'm starting to think that it's not me with a problem well I'm not causing myself to feel like this I recon its my DP cause I did meditation last night an come out feeling soo good an I get home an DP starts telling me how crap it is an all this other stuff... Then he started on the fact that I went to see the Dr about the way I have been feeling he also thinks that is a load of crap he thinks its all in my head an that if I start taking the pills he isn't going to support me when I'm coming off them cause he is assured that people go skitzo when they don't have their daily tablet an a heap of other crap... So now I'm really confused I thought he would have been supportive an fine with it so he didn't have to live with a moody b!tch 24/7!!!

I'm starting to think that it's not me with a problem well I'm not causing myself to feel like this I recon its my DP cause I did meditation last night an come out feeling soo good an I get home an DP starts telling me how crap it is an all this other stuff... Then he started on the fact that I went to see the Dr about the way I have been feeling he also thinks that is a load of crap he thinks its all in my head an that if I start taking the pills he isn't going to support me when I'm coming off them cause he is assured that people go skitzo when they don't have their daily tablet an a heap of other crap... So now I'm really confused I thought he would have been supportive an fine with it so he didn't have to live with a moody b!tch 24/7!!!

Your not a moody bitch, us mums have a lot of pressure,our job is a 24hr one.Look i dont know your DP but a good relationship makes a big difference.He doesnt sound very supportive at all which would be so hard for you.I have just stopped taking Lexapro 7 weeks ago after being on it for 8 years.Yes the withdrawals are quite uncomfortable but done properly its pretty bearable.The reason i needed Lexapro was from anxiety attacks.My husband was diagnosed back then with a mental illness which he will have for good and who also takes Lexapro, and i wasnt coping too well.His break-down was due to stress and childhood trauma which surfaced and brought on hallucinations etc.Lexapro is one of the better anti-depressants with fewer side effects.I too had problems with intimacy and thought i wasnt attracted to my husband anymore but that doesnt mean you will experience the same.I never gained weight either but the reason i stopped it is because i became irritable and tired and felt it was no longer working.In actual fact it wasnt Lexapro, i did bloods and although i have Graves disease which is an overactive thyroid, i found out i was deficient in vitamin d and iron which can mimick depression.Get your dr to do some bloodtests to test everything including thyroid,vit d and iron...everything.I have been taking vitamins to get them back to normal and already feeling better.We are lucky that there are medications out there that can help us live a fairly average life.You sound lovely im just sorry it sounds that you dont have a very supportive happy environment.Dont panic too much about the medication, it did help me a lot.Anyway im sure you know your body if it doesnt agree with you,you can always stop.You need to do whats right for you.By the way...id hate to think how my husband would be if Lexapro didnt exist.Please take care,talk to your doctor and i hope you get as much help and support as you deserve, hang in there things will get better.

Your not a moody bitch, us mums have a lot of pressure,our job is a 24hr one.Look i dont know your DP but a good relationship makes a big difference.He doesnt sound very supportive at all which would be so hard for you.I have just stopped taking Lexapro 7 weeks ago after being on it for 8 years.Yes the withdrawals are quite uncomfortable but done properly its pretty bearable.The reason i needed Lexapro was from anxiety attacks.My husband was diagnosed back then with a mental illness which he will have for good and who also takes Lexapro, and i wasnt coping too well.His break-down was due to stress and childhood trauma which surfaced and brought on hallucinations etc.Lexapro is one of the better anti-depressants with fewer side effects.I too had problems with intimacy and thought i wasnt attracted to my husband anymore but that doesnt mean you will experience the same.I never gained weight either but the reason i stopped it is because i became irritable and tired and felt it was no longer working.In actual fact it wasnt Lexapro, i did bloods and although i have Graves disease which is an overactive thyroid, i found out i was deficient in vitamin d and iron which can mimick depression.Get your dr to do some bloodtests to test everything including thyroid,vit d and iron...everything.I have been taking vitamins to get them back to normal and already feeling better.We are lucky that there are medications out there that can help us live a fairly average life.You sound lovely im just sorry it sounds that you dont have a very supportive happy environment.Dont panic too much about the medication, it did help me a lot.Anyway im sure you know your body if it doesnt agree with you,you can always stop.You need to do whats right for you.By the way...id hate to think how my husband would be if Lexapro didnt exist.Please take care,talk to your doctor and i hope you get as much help and support as you deserve, hang in there things will get better.
Reneex2 is spot on. A supportive partner does make all the difference.
Sounds to me like ur DH is very uneducated when it comes to antidepressants as most of my family and friends were too. They are still stuck on the old stories they heard about people going on these drugs and being addicted and not able to function without them. Not the case these days.
You need to worry about u and looking after ur little one and if taking 1 pill a day is going to make u feel better than y not? People take pills for everything, heart problems, blood pressure, headaches, menopause so what's the difference with depression and anxiety?? There's still such a stigma when it comes to these very real conditions which is a shame for people like yourself who think they have to suffer sad I was the same until my husbands Aunty pulled me aside and told me she was in lexapro and it changed her life.
Whatever u decide I hope your partner stands by you and ur decision and I wish u all the best of luck.

Thankyou so much for your kind words an support smile

Reneex2 is spot on. A supportive partner does make all the difference.
Sounds to me like ur DH is very uneducated when it comes to antidepressants as most of my family and friends were too. They are still stuck on the old stories they heard about people going on these drugs and being addicted and not able to function without them. Not the case these days.
You need to worry about u and looking after ur little one and if taking 1 pill a day is going to make u feel better than y not? People take pills for everything, heart problems, blood pressure, headaches, menopause so what's the difference with depression and anxiety?? There's still such a stigma when it comes to these very real conditions which is a shame for people like yourself who think they have to suffer sad I was the same until my husbands Aunty pulled me aside and told me she was in lexapro and it changed her life.
Whatever u decide I hope your partner stands by you and ur decision and I wish u all the best of luck.

Thankyou so much for all the help you have given smile
Sign in to follow this topic