Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Any advice please ! Rss

Hi Ladies

I had PND quite bad with my first and was hospitalised with it for 4 weeks. I am now 25 weeks pregnant and not on any meds (went off them prior in December)and some days are obviously worse than others.

I am getting frustrated with sleeping - it seems to be my trigger. Apart from peeing like 3/4/5 times a night, last night I had problems after a 4.00am toilet run, trying to swtich off to get back to sleep.

Of course, its a problem for me to "switch off" my brain - even more now that my hormones are all over the shop. Knowing that I have to work in the morning.

How does everyone cope not being on meds and getting through this last long haul ?

I HAVE to work which is just an added pressure I guess.

Oh yeh, and I stop drinking water at 6.30pm at night - doesnt make a difference.....

Sorry for my rambling, just need some advice cause starting to get emotional about it all. I'm affraid thats the PND rearing its head, not hormones.

smile
If you can feel those feelings coming again, then maybe talk to your Dr. I had Ante-natal depression with my second baby and was put on a low dose of Effexor around the 29th week of pregnancy. Then when she was born they put the dose up and it was safe to take while breastfeeding.

With my last baby I did pregnancy without any meds and it was hard for the last few months. All I did was talk to my Dr, let my mum know I wasn't coping and discussed things with my DH. The more people who know the better. Don't be ashamed to ask for help. I've had to ask for help with all 3 of my kids.

Find out what help is available in your local area. Maternal Health Nurse or Midwife might know how can help you.
Thanks for your reply RelliMC. I guess I am just worried about changing or going on meds (cause I WAS on Lexapro). Someone I knew changed meds, went on Zoloft and was very suicidal.

Also, I dont want to leave it too long (with not sleeping etc etc) that I get to that stage anyways.

Its such a vicious cycle. At least when the bub's out I know I can get back on Lexapro and possibly take a Xanax and sleeper as well to get me through it.

I know this sounds very meds related but I find the natural therapy etc etc very hard to conquer.

smile
Yes I've had lexapro in the past, it worked well for my depression, but killed my sex drive lol. Suicidal thoughts is a common side effect of Zoloft. Keep your head up and you will get there. But I do remember not sleeping toward the end of my last pregnancy and thinking the same. If I don't get on top of it now, what am I going to be like when bubs comes along. Dr prescribed a sleeping tablet and Zoloft, but I didn't take the Zoloft. I only used the sleeping tablet when I had to. My mum came over a couple of times and looked after the kids, so I could get some sleep. I felt bad about having to take the anti-depressants again. If medication is what we need to keep our head above water and be the mums we want to be for our bubs, then that's what we have to do. Maybe ask your midwife what sort of assistance can you get after leaving hospital in your local area. I know that I had visits from a psychologist that was funded by Medicare. Local council also had a Maternal Health Nurse that comes to the home. Maybe look around and see if there are PND counselling services too. I put a post in the section on here for ladies in my area. We now have a network of 6 ladies, who meet up regularly for lunch, walking and keep in contact with eachother. They're my Best Friends. Also have a group of girls from Huggies that were having babies the same time as me that I am still actively friends with on facebook.

Here if you ever want PM me:)
That sounds like a good idea - the maternal health nurse thing. I will definitely ask when at hospital about it......just in case of course !!

Some days are better than others. Its just such a beast !!!
Sorry, meant to say......how do you find the post in this section about the ladies in your area ???

Sorry, meant to say......how do you find the post in this section about the ladies in your area ???

Go into forums and look under Communities, it has a list of states. Click on the State your are in. A list of posts by other months will come up for different area's. If you cann't see anyone from same area, put your own post and check it regularly, they might just find you:)
Sign in to follow this topic