Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

PND Rss

Hi all

I have recently been diagnosed with PND (which I think is from undiagnosed depression previous to even getting pregnant). Anyways I am on the slow road to recovery.

I was interested in how other PND sufferers best explain how they feel to their loved ones?

Although at times I may "act" like everything is ok around my partner, I am still not feeling that great on the inside. I am trying to find a way of describing to him how and why I feel like this. Why I get anxious when it comes to social situations especially.

What are ways you explain to your family and friends what you are going through to make them understand??
I was upfront and honest once I was diagnosed, and once I was diagnosed I stopped trying to hide my emotions. I told my family that I had been diagnosed with PND (they all live interstate) and they were all shocked because they hadn't seen me and thought that because I sounded ok on the phone, that all was ok. DH was just as relieved as me when we finally knew what was wrong with me.

In the beginning, I also found it really hard to leave the house. I became really anxious and irrational. I'd be paranoid that DD would scream in the shops, or do a massive poo everywhere, so I just stopped going out. I was given a low-dose anti-depressant and it really helped with the anxiety and also helped me sleep.

I think it's really important that you be upfront and totally honest with your partner and loved ones. They will want to help you and support you, and they can only do that if you let them. If you're having a bad day tell them. Take the help that's offered.

I didn't see a counsellor at the start and I should've. I think it's really important to talk to someone who is educated in that area and can help you find some ways to cope with anxiety, and offer fresh ideas.

Make sure you do get out of the house, even if it's in little spurts. A change of scenery can change your whole day, and give you a new perspective especially if you are having a bad day. Exercise really does help, and as hard as it can be to get going, it's worth trying.

Anyway, I hope I've helped a bit. Remember you are not alone. There are plenty of other going through what you are and there are some great women on here with great suggestions/advice. All the best. smile
First of all Im really sorry to hear this... But you are def not in it alone.
I suffered clinical pnd with my first and second babies.
It is really important to be able to talk openly and being able to repeat yourself over and over again to others, or a loved one there is no limit to how much to tell.

If you have a really supporting husband and family it is a great help.

They need to understand that this is not the normal you, that the chemicals in your brain are unbalanced making you feel mixed, have mood swings etc.
If you can say, I want to get better, then you will get better.
A lot of people get so low and spiral down til they hit rock bottom, leaving themselves with nothing and no way or want or hope to get back up.
Working with your own will power, faith, medication and the right support you WILL get better.

I was one of the few that lost to pnd.
Loosing my husband to divorce, suffering harming myself and a deadly eatting disorder, I thought I couldnt be helped that I didnt want help, it wasnt until my 24 hour care nurse told me my children were going to be taken away if I couldnt help myself, that I fought with my demons and pulled myself to wanting to get better, taking medication, support, faith and my beautiful babies eyes watching from my bedside, I Won the battle.

9 years on and I am remarried to the most amazing man, we have four children now, life is handled with tlc in our house, every breath taken is never taken for granted.

Happiness is a beautiful thing. Be strong, have faith and be happy dear.

Hi all

I have recently been diagnosed with PND (which I think is from undiagnosed depression previous to even getting pregnant). Anyways I am on the slow road to recovery.

I was interested in how other PND sufferers best explain how they feel to their loved ones?

Although at times I may "act" like everything is ok around my partner, I am still not feeling that great on the inside. I am trying to find a way of describing to him how and why I feel like this. Why I get anxious when it comes to social situations especially.

What are ways you explain to your family and friends what you are going through to make them understand??

Give him some info on it then tell him how you feel and that it is PND. Keep it simple and let him no that you may need some help, but most of all you need support and for him to help give you confidence. Ie, if you going out somewhere, if you say you need to go home, that he knows he has to drop everything and leave with you.

Hi all

Hi,
I was also diagnosed with PND and I did suffer with it before but never got help kept it to myself, my husband helped me alot we have a clinic here in albury for parent and baby unit they help with ways to tell partners I was lucky my husband picked it up in me, but I think if you have access with a place on line called www.tresillian.net they are wonderful can help talk you though it. This is the first major step to try and get people to understand I tried to get my parent to understand but no luck as they are very single minded, but I did find a neighbour who had depression and we helped each other though it I did use here to talk about my feels and if I wanted to say something to my husband I did but as I had a wonderful neighbour she worked though it with me as she had some idea what I was dealing with. I can say your a wonderful brave person I was so single minded didnt ask for help and got alot worse congratulations your taking a wonderful step. Try tresillian they might be able to help. Take care Shaz
perhaps this link can help you:
http://www.panda.org.au/practical-information/about-postnatal-depression/30-impact-of-postnatal-depression
Pnd sucks. And you need the support of family and friends and health workers. The best way I would describe it is a black cloud on a sunny day. And it follows you everywhere.
I had Pnd with my first but not with my second. It made me realise what I was missing.

Another thing that worked well. I took my DH with me to a midwife appt whilst I was pregnant, she asked me about Pnd and what I would do if I got it again. I talked honestly with her and described how it felt and what i had been through and how I knew when I needed help. My hubby sat there and listened. When we came home he gave me a big hug and said he had no idea that was what I had gone through. Since then it has been much easier to talk. Hope that makes sense. It is hard to explain.

Good luck. And my advice us get help asap so that you can enjoy this time ad a mum and with your beautiful child.

Emma

Have you checked out beyondblue’s website on postnatal depression and anxiety – www.justspeakup.com.au
Sign in to follow this topic