Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Huggies Sharing tools
  4. Kids Recipes
  5. Sugar free or sugar alternatives

Sugar free or sugar alternatives Lock Rss

I'm trying to cut down on the sugar in my kiddies diets but am a little stuck in ideas.

Winding if anyone has any easy recipes for sugar free or sugar alternative snack ideas that kids love ??? smile thanks
My kids snacks are plain popcorn, jatz, water crackers, fresh fruit, piklets...can't think of anything else at the moment!
4 surprises. wrote:
I tried this and it didn't work lol so much food has sugar in it or added sugar. Stick with natural foods as much as possible. Carrot and celery sticks with homemade hummus dip. Crackers with cheese and tomato. While I'm writing this the kids are eating a packet of chips lol.... grin

Haha! At least your honest 4 surprises!

I find the hardest part is their lunch boxes! I don't really have time to do much home baking etc. and a lot of the healthier things that they eat at home are too difficult to eat at school or go soggy! My kids used to love cheese and tomato on crackers or avocado on corn thins or rice cakes even for lunch but they used to eat in their classroom, but now they eat outside where there is a lack of tables or grass to sit on. It's not easy for a 6yr old making that on their lap while sitting on a bench seat. Mind you, it's surprising what they sneak into things that you think would be healthy too.

I'm open to any new ideas so I'll be watching this one.

I should say I'm not too fussed on homemade sweet stuff such as cookies etc. more processed foods. My kids still have them, just not every single day.
Ds has nuts and seeds, fruit and dried fruit, rice crackers and corn crackers. We also make ice blocks out of whatever fruit is in season, which he thinks are awesome smile

It is hard, there is so much sugar hidden in everything. A friend of mine just gave me this website also for anyone interested. I haven't Reid anything yet but there are couple of things that caught my eye http://www.sugarfreekids.com.au/category/sugar-...
I'm make tricky chocolate truffles https://www.huggies.com.au/forum/6-general-baby-.... The recipe is in this thread.

Also popcorn, they love dry crackers like vita weat, and they love vegies for snacks too

Rice Bubble bars - Sugar in this is solely from Honey, my kids 18 months, and 10 years both love these bars.
yields 12-14 bars
• 1/2 cup (140 grams) Almond Butter, Peanut Butter or
Sunflower Seed Butter (I used plain butter and found half a cup too much but you can tailor this to suit, so next time I will try 1/3 cup and if thats still too much I will try 1/4 cup.)
• 2/3 cup (220 grams) pure Honey
• pinch of ground Cinnamon
• 1/2 cup (40 grams) rolled oats
• 3 cups (125 grams) Ricies
• 1/4 cup (25 grams) Sunflower Seeds (we like roasted and salted ones)
• 1/4 cup (40 grams) Raisins
• 1/3 cup (25 grams) Chocolate, chopped into small pieces
(I added 1 tbsp of cocoa to this to give them a chocolate flavour.

Method
Spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Heat nut butter/sunflower seed butter with honey and spice in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until well combined. Transfer to a large heat-proof bowl. Mix in cereal, sunflower seeds and raisins. Add chocolate after the mix has cooled down a bit so it does not melt. Transfer mix to your baking dish. Flatten with the back of a spatula or your hands. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until completely cool. Remove from pan and trim into squares. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Notes:
• Feel Free to experiment with your favorite cereals
• Add any nuts, seeds and dried fruits you have on-hand.
Choc-date balls-
1 cup dates
2 cups nuts of your choice
2 tblsp cocoa
Coconut

Whizz up the first 3 ingredients in the food processor until it comes together and is sticky enough to roll Into balls. Roll in coconut then refrigerate. Done!
They are delicious, even for a sugarholic like me!
Scones! Takes 12 min whoa to go, including the 2 mins prep (so you can do it with a crawling baby at your feet). SR flour and buttermilk, add chopped dates if your kids are past the choking hazard stage, bung them on baking paper on a tray in a hot oven and voila! Freeze them in pairs, wrapped in cling film, zap for 1 min 10 sec in microwave (still wrapped ... don't burn yourself unwrapping them). Add mashed pumpkin and a raw egg to the mix for something different, can use wholemeal flour if you want.
Try paleo for kids

http://gustopaleo.com/

Try these 'Where's the Sugar' cookies recipe I found online:
2 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 ½ cups sucanat
2 eggs
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2 sticks butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
How to prepare:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix butter, sucanat, baking soda, and salt until fully combined.
Beat in eggs and vanilla extract.
Gradually add flour until mixture is fully combined.
Roll the dough into a mat and shape with the cookie cutters of your choice.
Bake for 10 minutes.
Sign in to follow this topic