Huggies Forum

Fleas in carpet :( Lock Rss

Can i ever really get rid of them???

Ever since we brought this place, the 1st summer fleas started coming from the carpet, bug bombed and cleaned carpet, all good til the next summer, same again..... etc..... I spoke to the lady in the hardware store and she said that they lay dormant for years......

Will I ever REALLY get rid of them? they are doing my head in!!! Guess what has just come back??? And I have to wait til Thrusday to bomb as we are home til then... its only a few I see then I bomb so not a huge infestation, the animals are not inside much except the cat but he is defleaed and they are different fleas to what the animals get... they are little black things (apparently they are called sand fleas from the sandy soil)....

Is there anything else I can do??? I am seriously considering ripping up the carpet and living on a concrete slab for a while!!! LOL
I feel your pain Jess. I have crossed everything I possibly can that mine don't return this year. I went to the pet shop and got a big flea powder that works of all fleas and vacuumed then sprinkled it in the carpet and left it on for days so we could walk it into the carpet and I haven't seen any since then, perhaps that might be worth a try??
I have heard (but haven't actually tried myself) that you can sprinkle the carpet with salt and leave it for a while, then vaccuum it up (a bit like Shake 'n Vac laugh ) apparantly it kills the fleas.
There is a product that you can get a city farmers (you maybe able to get it at other places) its called melamine, dilute that in a squirty bottle. Make sure you vaccum your carpets and wash them after though and try and keeps the kids away and any animals until it drys. It works really well, we had a really bad flea infestation and that was the only thing that worked.

Also with fleas the little buggers lay eggs EVERYWHERE so until you really get on top of them they wont go away, so it may take a few years of bombing and cleaning carpets before they go away.
when i had fleas inside, i used excelpet flea powder and an excelpet spray stuff especially for inside and dog kennels and stuff. just be sure to do it every couple of days for a few wks. also make sure they arent in ur yard or they will just keep gettin inside. malwash or malawash.. not sure which it was called. was great for outside, really strong stuff but cheap at the supermarket or big w.
Try Borax powder. It's in a white tub from Woolworths. You sprinkle it on your carpet and leave it for a day then vacuum it up. I swear it works. We use to get them really bad from the cats and haven't had any for ages smile

I have heard (but haven't actually tried myself) that you can sprinkle the carpet with salt and leave it for a while, then vaccuum it up (a bit like Shake 'n Vac laugh ) apparantly it kills the fleas.

I've tried itr and it works a treat. use ur normal table salt, wait 20-30 mins and vacumme. do this every couple of days for a week just to make sure you dont miss any eggs.
Sign in to follow this topic