Huggies Forum

sun safety at school? Rss

dd1 starts primary school next week and i was wondering about sun safety. i will put sun screen on her before school but how long will it last? i put it on again after lunch at home. She has a school hat and I assume they have lots of shade around.
plus for the first term she has swimming at school every day.

how does sun safety work at your kids school?
Generally, schools have a 'no hat, no play' policy through the warmer months. Children must be wearing their hats whenever outside, otherwise they must play in the shade. Some classrooms have a sunscreen pump, but it's not mandatory. If you want your DD to reapply at lunch then perhaps show her how to do it herself and send her to school with a tube. You could also encourage her to play in the shade on extreme days. Schools are very good at teaching sun safety so I don't really think you need to worry. As for swimming, if it's outdoors (I've only known school swimming to be indoors), I am sure the teachers will be right on to sun protection, but send your DD with sunscreen, a hat and protective clothing anyway.

Remember, a little bit of sun each day is very good for children too. Vitamin D is crucial for brain and body development. With their hats and uniforms on, only a small amount of skin would likely be exposed in the short time that they are out at play anyway. This will likely do more good than harm.

Our school has a no hat no play policy, the children that don't have a hat are not allowed to play on the playground and must sit up in the under cover area, the school also likes us to send roll on sunscreen along in the school bags so the children can re apply the sunscreen before going out to play.
Tigerlily. wrote:
Generally, schools have a 'no hat, no play' policy through the warmer months. Children must be wearing their hats whenever outside, otherwise they must play in the shade. Some classrooms have a sunscreen pump, but it's not mandatory. If you want your DD to reapply at lunch then perhaps show her how to do it herself and send her to school with a tube. You could also encourage her to play in the shade on extreme days. Schools are very good at teaching sun safety so I don't really think you need to worry. As for swimming, if it's outdoors (I've only known school swimming to be indoors), I am sure the teachers will be right on to sun protection, but send your DD with sunscreen, a hat and protective clothing anyway.

Remember, a little bit of sun each day is very good for children too. Vitamin D is crucial for brain and body development. With their hats and uniforms on, only a small amount of skin would likely be exposed in the short time that they are out at play anyway. This will likely do more good than harm.

+1

I actually hate how our school makes our kids wear hats in the middle of winter! I make sure my kids get plenty on the weekends but so many kids just don't get enough. Don't get me wrong, i'm all for sun safety in the other months of the year!

I'm not sure about how they do it in NZ but as pps have said, they are pretty strict about it in Aus. Like other have said, send her with her own just incase.

boofarama wrote:
Tigerlily. wrote:

+1

I actually hate how our school makes our kids wear hats in the middle of winter! I make sure my kids get plenty on the weekends but so many kids just don't get enough. Don't get me wrong, i'm all for sun safety in the other months of the year!

I'm not sure about how they do it in NZ but as pps have said, they are pretty strict about it in Aus. Like other have said, send her with her own just incase.

I don't think it's right in the middle of winter either! Winter is a time when most people would struggle to get adequate amounts of vitamin D - any exposure at this time would be beneficial. The school I was last at just had the policy mandatory for terms 1 and 4 which is fair. So many people are vitamin D deficient these days and I do believe we have gone a little overboard with sun safety.

Sign in to follow this topic