Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Older Siblings
  5. Coordinating older sibling whilst in hospital having baby

Coordinating older sibling whilst in hospital having baby Rss

I am pregnant with my second child, and I have an older child (who is very excited about her pending sibling!). I do not have a supportive group around me (I found out the hard way when I had my first child) and I am prepared for this but I am stuck on what I am going to do with my older child when I do go into labour especially as she will be at school - obviously, being in hospital giving birth, I cannot do school drop offs and pick ups. My family refuse to help me (I have been told more than once to "Work it out for myself" and "Get over it") and there is a good chance that my hubby with be working away when this all happens. I am thinking of asking a friend to help me out but, that could interfere with her work so its really not fair on her.

I am just wondering what other people did. How did you prepare? I am going to have to prepare my daughter's meals and freeze beforehand and make up our animal's meals in advance. Where did your older child stay during your hospital visit? Any other suggestions?
Very tough situation...and tough family to work with!

Is there any way your husband could roster some time off around then so that he's here for it? Or, can he arrange to get home ASAP once you go into labour?

If not, I would definitely ask your friend because it may well be ok with her to drop off and pick up your daughter for a few days.

A nanny might work too, but, you'd need someone who can sleep over with your daughter too. Do you have any "older" nieces or friends kids perhaps who could use some extra pocket money? What about mums from school even - do any of them run a "home day care" maybe?
Yeah, having an Au Pair was awesome, I didn't have to worry about anything while I was in hospital smile

Anirtak wrote:
Yeah, having an Au Pair was awesome, I didn't have to worry about anything while I was in hospital smile

I have seriously thought about the Au Pair before - given my situation and isolation another set of helping hands would be wonderful! How did you organise yours??
what about your hubbys family are they in the picture?
aunty or uncles?
Sign in to follow this topic