Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Don't know what to do??? Rss

Hi,
I'm laying in the spare bed of my sons room at 3am trying to keep the peace. My DS is 7 and keeps waking each night and can't get himself back to sleep. He says he is scared of the dark so we have a night light and leave the bathroom light on. But this doesn't seem to help. This has been going on for nearly 1.5 months and I am struggling to deal with this anymore. I just don't know what to do. It is causing issues with my DH as he doesn't cope with this at all. I feel I have no support... Sorry i just need to vent I'm really worried how this is affecting DS as he said tonight he hates himself it broke my heart what do I do???

Mum to 3 gorgeous boys...

Firstly GBH!!

Have you sat him down during the day and asked him what is scaring him? Is it shaddows outside the windows, noises? Or is it bad dreams?

Its so hard, i can understand both your and your DH's stance on the matter. I hope things get easier soon.
Put his matress on the floor at the end of your bed or at your foot of your bed, problem solved.....

we went through this and its a hard one.

Also talk to your husband and tell him that he needs to get a grip, he is an adult Your son is still little, and he isn't helping the situaltion and probably stressing your son out more and making it worse.
I spoke to DS this morning to try and work out what it is that is still bothering him. He says that he is afraid of the dark and he hears sounds in the house that scare him. We already leave lights on for him at night so I reaasured him there is no reason to be afraid when they r on. As for the noises I told him that it is the house going to sleep and that it will creak and make silly noises but it's ok.

We have tried letting him sleep in out room but I feel like it just makes the situation worse as I want him to learn to settle in his own room. He knows he is welcome in out room after 5am but no earlier. I usually end up in his room on a bad night. Plus he snores really badly...

As for DH he works early starts so the disruption to sleep is an issue for him. It is a hard one as I find I am able to tolerate the sleepless nights but after awhile my patience wears thin too.. This is when I feel the most guilty as I want to be as supportive an understanding as I can be but it gets to the point where I don't know what to do anymore.

I spoke to DS this morning to try and work out what it is that is still bothering him. He says that he is afraid of the dark and he hears sounds in the house that scare him. We already leave lights on for him at night so I reaasured him there is no reason to be afraid when they r on. As for the noises I told him that it is the house going to sleep and that it will creak and make silly noises but it's ok.

We have tried letting him sleep in out room but I feel like it just makes the situation worse as I want him to learn to settle in his own room. He knows he is welcome in out room after 5am but no earlier. I usually end up in his room on a bad night. Plus he snores really badly...

As for DH he works early starts so the disruption to sleep is an issue for him. It is a hard one as I find I am able to tolerate the sleepless nights but after awhile my patience wears thin too.. This is when I feel the most guilty as I want to be as supportive an understanding as I can be but it gets to the point where I don't know what to do anymore.

Have you tried puting on some quiet music (raindrops etc)? Maybe try some relaxation techniques e.g. meditation, deep breathing, or guided imagery before he goes to bed.
Could you move one of the other boys in there?
playing quiet music throughout the night is a fantastic one, maybe take him to a shop which has all those CDs set up with headphones (like national geographic shops) and let him listen and choose one that makes him feel safe..call it a special safe dreaming bed time CD or something lol.
but my trick with DD is my teddy..the teddy ive had since i was a baby..it stays in my room up on the shelf and when DD has a bad dream she gets to sleep with 'mummys special teddy' i told her it will look after her at night and help the bad dreams stay away, instant fix in our case smile also i put a couple of dream catchers above her bed and told her that they keep the bad dreams away so she only has happy dreams..again helped immensely.

for me when i was little my dad gave me a little bag of 'worry dolls' i think they were made in nepal you should be able to get them from any bazzar/hippy type shop. its a little bag with a number of tiny 'dolls' that before bed each night you wisper a 'worry' to each doll then put them under your pillow and they take the worries/fears away while you sleep smile i still have mine lol sounds tacky but often with kids its all phycological

hope this gives you some ideas
DS already shares a room with DS2 but it doesn't seem to make much difference.. We have tried calming music we even put some on an iPod for him. It helps some nights but not always. My mum gave him a dream catcher first thing he said was that it wouldn't help as he has to be asleep for it to work. Hard when he is a clever little thing ..

I went to the library and borrowed a book on ways to help kids overcome their fears and sleep. Fx some of the new ideas help. I have laid firm boundaries to follow and hopefully we can all get some sleep tonight
Thanks for all the replies it is such as stressful thing to deal with it is nice to vent and have support from other mums. I really appreciate it smile. I will let u know how we go ...

Well what a night... Yawn! Things started out really well he went off to sleep perfectly. Woke at 2am sat with him until he settled and he went back to sleep no crying or yelling out... Until 4am when the tantrum and crying started okay! So really hoping tonight will be better I am expecting that it is going to take awhile to change his patterns and behavior Fx we get there in the end smile

Sign in to follow this topic