Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Older Siblings
  5. teacher said my son is tired at school

teacher said my son is tired at school Rss

ok so i went and picked my 4 eyar old son up from pre kindy today and the teacher said to me that my son is always tired at school. she then asked me what time he goes to bed and i told her 7:30 she then asked what i feed him for breakfast and i told her usually toast banana and milk ok so then she said well maybe you should give him something that will give him energy and i said i do. anyway i said to her maybe it is him just ajusting to going to school 4 days a week its a big thing to go through and i also explained that he is an early riser he wakes up at about 6ish.

i guess she just left me feeling a bit blah like im not doing a good job. you know i do my best he always goes to bed early never stays up past his bedtime, he always has a good lunch to take with him to school with more then enough food and a little treat for him aswell.

And then to top it off i told hubby and i asked him what i could do to help him have more energy and he said well feed him PROPER breakfast and i said to him well that is a proper breakfast in my eyes...i dont know i guess i need some reassurance and maybe some advice on how i could get him to sleep in or something,

thanks

does he like cereal? maybe something like sultana bran would keep his energy levels up a bit longer. not to make you feel bad, but i know if i just had banana and toast i would still be hungry, because fruit doesn't keep me going on its own. i need to have cereal.

what sort of bread does he have? wholegrain is best to sustain energy levels.

ETA to help his sleep in you could perhaps try to get one of those alarm clocks where the face changes when its time to get up?

Is it white bread or brown or multigrain???

iw ould personally be trying some cereal or an egg or something... our houserule is a proper breakfast on kindy and swimming mornings and treats on weekends.... a proper brekky for me is porrige/weetbix with sultanas/sultana bran etc with milk and a piece of toast after OR they have 2 boiled eggs with whole grain toast..... weekends/non kinder days they are allowed to have just toast but I don't feel it fills them up as much, they are usually starving within an hour
Do you think she was having a go at you or concerned for your child. Maybe the questions were just trying to figure out why he's tired. Having said that I would have to agree to you adjusting to 4 days is a big deal my DS is doing that right now and he is definately tired, my DS does go to bed later than yours and I am trying to change that. If it were me I'd just keep an eye on it, hopefully it will improve over the next few weeks as he settles. Good luck.
He could be iron deficient. I am, and it's tiring! My body just doesn't hang on to it very well so I have to get regular checks. That's despite having a well balanced diet.
Is his toast white bread or multigrain? How many pieces does he have? Maybe some baked beans and toast for breakfast will give him a bit more fuel. Eggs and toast. Tuna on toast with avocado. Banana sandwiches. Last nights left overs.
I find that if I swing meals around, lunch for breakfast, dinner for lunch, breakfast for dinner, I get through the day with much more energy, and also have a better sleep that night.
I think that breaky is ok, bit it might be worth trying him on something like porridge or wheat bix with a banana and milk. It might make a difference or it might not.

One thing I do with my DS is to give him a kids multi vitamin everyday and that helps him heaps. If he gets tired or hungry or down his behaviour goes really bad. The multi vitamin really helps him. Maybe your DS is a bit low on iron or something and that is making him tired.

You are doing a good job so don't let anyone let you think you aren't.
hi thankks for the replies, i dont think she was having a go at me but i just felt that guilt of maybe im not feeding him enough when i though i was. i think i just got to me coz now im doibting myself IYKWIM.

he usually has white bread with jam or vegimite a piece of fruit and a glass of milk for breakfast. i wont feed him cereal or very rarely coz i know when i eat cereal i feel hungry very quickly so i guess thats why i was giving him toast coz thats what i eat and that is enough to satisfy me. i will be trying eggs and everthing starting from tomorrow to see if that helps..now i need to stop this guilt running through my body aaarrrgggg its horrible

Hi there, I wouldn't take it personally, it sounds like she is just trying to work out if there is something else that can be done to help him enjoy his day more. I also have a brekky rule, I don't allow just toast for brekky, it has to be with egg or beans as well otherwise I know they are just hungry again withint the hour. Starting school is a huge deal for little kids and I'm sure your son is not the only littlie struggling during these early weeks, don't feel bad. It mustn;t have helped, having your DH make you feel bad too but keep up with the early nights and good brekkies, and hopefully he adjusts before too long. I even used to keep my oldest son home for a day a week in the beginning when he first started if he seemed too tired, just to have a veg day and catch up, otherwise he was foul. Good luck smile
Honestly 1st thing I would be doing is switching his white bread for something else, I am not trying to be rude but white bread does not fill you up, he needs something low GI like wholemeal/wholegrain bread and jam really has nothing in it but sugar, what about some cream cheese? Avocado spread on toast and grilled cheese on top? As he is a child he needs a lot more fuel as he will be burning a lot of energy, I really don't like cereal much either, I normally just have 2 coffees but I wouldn't be feeding that to my kids cos it works for me!! LOL I would be giving a Low GI cereal a go, or the eggs if he eats them.... sometimes if I scramble them I can hide some vegies in them too, some mushrooms, grated zuchhini then put them on wholemeal toast

He could be iron deficient. I am, and it's tiring! My body just doesn't hang on to it very well so I have to get regular checks. That's despite having a well balanced diet.
Is his toast white bread or multigrain? How many pieces does he have? Maybe some baked beans and toast for breakfast will give him a bit more fuel. Eggs and toast. Tuna on toast with avocado. Banana sandwiches. Last nights left overs.
I find that if I swing meals around, lunch for breakfast, dinner for lunch, breakfast for dinner, I get through the day with much more energy, and also have a better sleep that night.

thanks for the advice actually i never thought about his iron becasue i am anemic myself but does in run in families. and thanks for the breaky suggestions i never though of baked beans ok toast. i think i would gag mashing the banana up for sandwiches only coz i hate the texture of it LOL and the left overs is a good idea.

my husband has this whoile thing about breakfast he has to have a cooked breakfast everyday thats what he used to and i was always used to having toast or cereal something like that i guess i have to admit that he is right LOL damn it

Um i think thats a perfectly good breakfast. Is it wholegrain bread? My DS is 4 aswell and he choses his breakfast. This morning he had cornflakes with a banana chopped on top. He has either wheetbix, ricies or cornflakes, sometimes with fruit, sometimes on its own. Or some mornings he just has 2 pieces of toast, a cup of milk and a banana, the same as your son has.

My DS does get tired at kindy when hes there for the whole day. The teachers have told me before that he's really active in the morning and is usually running around outside and in the arvos he often does quieter activities inside like doing puzzles etc. They've never asked about his bedtime or breakfast, i think its natural for kids at that age to get tired at kindy! my DS goes to bed at 8pm and is also an early riser, awake at 5.30am sometimes.

I like PP's suggestions of eggs and toast, or baked beans. Don't feel bad, it sounds to me like you are doing everything right

Um i think thats a perfectly good breakfast. Is it wholegrain bread? My DS is 4 aswell and he choses his breakfast. This morning he had cornflakes with a banana chopped on top. He has either wheetbix, ricies or cornflakes, sometimes with fruit, sometimes on its own. Or some mornings he just has 2 pieces of toast, a cup of milk and a banana, the same as your son has.

My DS does get tired at kindy when hes there for the whole day. The teachers have told me before that he's really active in the morning and is usually running around outside and in the arvos he often does quieter activities inside like doing puzzles etc. They've never asked about his bedtime or breakfast, i think its natural for kids at that age to get tired at kindy! my DS goes to bed at 8pm and is also an early riser, awake at 5.30am sometimes.

I like PP's suggestions of eggs and toast, or baked beans. Don't feel bad, it sounds to me like you are doing everything right

thanks for the reply now i dont feel as bad, just looking at what others feed their kids i am doubting myself that maybe its just not enough for him. I will definitly be taking the advice of everyone and i am heading to the shops later to get multigrain bread eggs and baked beans. And my son is very active running around all the time and i think it may take a couple of weeks to adjust so hopefully me changing his breakfast will help him with that aswell.

also what multivitamins are best? to anyone that knows thanks

Sign in to follow this topic