Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Older Siblings
  5. Mums with kids who have just started school

Mums with kids who have just started school Rss

How are your kids coping with starting school?

My DD started on Monday and has 2 good days and 2 bad - I think its a huge change in her life that is a bit overwhelming.

Up till now she's been home with me, she did 2 full days at preschool last year and loved it, we also went to playgroup and did lots of other things together. She's very independent and confident but I think its the change of going to 5 full days and with so many other bigger kids, plus she's really tired... on the 2 bad days she said things like "I hate school, I dont ever want to go to that school again.." things like that.

I know it will take time to adjust but just wondering how other mums and their kids are coping. She separates easily, its just when I pick her up that she's upset and then the "I hate school" comments come, also on the way there this morning she said it again. She's also been a lot more clingy to me when she is at home and wants me to pick her up and carry her (like I do her 2 year old sister).

I dont want her to hate school.... I need some reassurance...
My ds has just started fulltime too. He started on Wednesday last week, so not a big deal but this week I can see he's struggling. He slept in this morning and although isn't upset when I leave him in the morning, he is a little clingy and wanting more cuddles. I think I'll keep him home tomorrow smile It's a big adjustment for them. In your case I think I'd also have a chat to the teacher (or aide) and ask about your dds friends and how she's intereacting with the other kids, it might just be that she hasn't clicked with a particular child or is having trouble making friends.

My ds has just started fulltime too. He started on Wednesday last week, so not a big deal but this week I can see he's struggling. He slept in this morning and although isn't upset when I leave him in the morning, he is a little clingy and wanting more cuddles. I think I'll keep him home tomorrow smile It's a big adjustment for them. In your case I think I'd also have a chat to the teacher (or aide) and ask about your dds friends and how she's intereacting with the other kids, it might just be that she hasn't clicked with a particular child or is having trouble making friends.

I was thinking of chatting to her teacher about how she's going, I think the friends side of things is ok because she's got several friends from preschool in her class and has talked about playing with her friend from another kinder class at lunchtime (also from preschool)... but still its a massive change for her to be 6 hours away from me every day plus with all the other children older than her in the playground at recess and lunch.

I was wondering too if I should keep her home a day or pick her up half day - in the paperwork for school it says you can do reduced hours if they are tired to begin with... to me going straight into five full days at a time seems a bit much and possibly if she did 2 days, day off then 2 days she might cope better? Just for a week or two to adjust.

I dont know, its hard!
Hi, my son was a bit like this last year but in alot of vicorian schools they dont start full time until term 2. He had every wednesday off for a rest day in term 1 which ithink helped him transition into full time school a bit easier. But anyway after a few weeks of the i hate school and stuff he got used to it and is now in grade 1 and loves it. So hang in there it will get easier
My DS1 started full time last Wednesday too, hes in Pre Primary, he loves school but i am starting to see that he is getting tired. The other night he came out of his room about 8pm bawling his eyes out saying to me "I just miss you and I love you" so i think he is realizing that he wont see me all day everyday and I think he is also tired, which i dont blame him because he only went 2 full days last year. He still asks me every night "what are we doing in the morning?" and I say "you've got school" and he said "oh again!" but he does love it and once he gets used to it i think he will be fine.

Sign in to follow this topic