Huggies Forum

bright kids Lock Rss

Okay, so my DS is 5 and I just had his end of year interview with his teacher this morning. If any of you have read my previous posts he has had a few behaviour dramas at different stages throughout the year and most of it stemmed from moving from NSW to QLD and the differences with kindergarten and Prep standards (thank god for National Curriculum coming in in the next 2 years is all I can say!) - and of course the other stuff kids his age go through when you move anyway like thinking you'd still have your friends and then finding out they aren't actually moving schools/house with you even though thats what you think when you are that age! Poor little tyke.

Anyway, I've kept him going this year by doing extra stuff with him reading books and those school work books etc, also going for walks many mornings and so forth, which I'm sure you understand isn't so easy when you have a 5yo 3yo and expecting or have a little baby. and this worked each time he got a bit unruly and settled him down again, although since my DH has been working away so much this last 5 months I have noticed that around September he started getting bored again until the teacher gave him more work to do (him and 2 other kids in the class).

So today I've had his interview and the teacher said he is already where he would need to be to go into grade 2.

I knew he was bored again but I had no idea just how ahead of his class he was intellectually (socially though he is very much a 5 yr old boy!)

What I am wondering is if anyone has any ideas to keep him occupied/amused and more importantly out of trouble over the next 7 weeks of school holidays AND I need to figure out how to not keep challenging his mind because I don't want to have the same boredom issues happening next year.

I just had a thought as I was typing this that I might see the principal to ask if there will be a yr 1/2 composite class next year - that might help for then, (not that we find that out until the week before school resumes) but its going to be a LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGGG holiday I think so please throw your ideas at me.
Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your replies!!!

[img]

Maybe a musical instrument?

Sorry not much but would stimulate the mind and it's good basis for Maths later on
lock them in their room.lol

I dont know but mine is driving me batty.
my first thought is lots of physical stuff - bushwalks, games, adventure playgrounds, beach etc
Boardgames, camping in the backyard, library/musuem/circus school holiday programs.

Personally, I don't think you should restrict challenging him. I think you should try and find things that challenge him that he won't learn at school anyway. Life is about learning. If he is too bright for his year at school - maybe a school that can meet his needs might be the answer. But don't hold back on his interest in learning and being challenged. He can be bored at home or at school. To a kid it makes no difference. Follow his interests and see where it takes you! If he likes taking things apart - go to the op shop and get some old typewriter. Maybe an electronics kit so he can make his own stuff. Building a model, puzzles. What are his interests at the moment, maybe we can think of something around that?
My first though would be to have the teachers accelerate him in the areas that he is well advanced - or maybe even consider skipping year 1 if he is that far ahead?

My brother went thru school being bored. We found out too late though. He was destructive and disruptive at school, from quite early on as he wasnt stimulated enough. We found out later after he wagged most of year 9 and done no homeowrk, then still managed to top the class for his yearly maths exam and do pretty well in others. Wasted I tell you!! He HATED school.

My little sister is in year 3 is going to a different school than us 3 older kids went to, and she is being pushed because she needs it. Mum's parent portal for her results says that she is currently sitting at the top of her class for most subjetcs (including year 4 maths). She went to a preschool 'master coaching' class 2yrs before she went to school cos mum couldnt keep up with her and needed to learn some new ways to challenge her. As the youngest student they had ever taken on, she finished the furthest thru the course than any person before - and she still had another year of preschool! Mum started her at piano lessons when she was about 4, and though she was learning, she wasn't ready for the discipline of it. She took it up again when she was about 7 and now at 9 she is doing great. She also plays a team sport summer & winter. Baseball in the summer and either netball or soccer in the winter. She LOVES school and gets very bored during school holidays.

Thats my experience with children who are quite bright in their class. One good example of what can/is happening and one not so good.

Also add, my sister LOVES boardgames like scrabble, upwords or monopoly. And I'm sure you can get junior versions of these games too.

Good luck smile

ETA that sounds really harsh on my brother. he's not a total waste! He is very mechanically smart. He can pulll apart and rebuild a motorbike engine etc. He masters any piece of machinery he attempts to operate and at nearly 21 is often praised as being a better operator than blokes who have done it for decades. I think each person has their 'area', and for him, school was definitely NOT it.

Ben 25/10/06 + Erin 10/9/08

Okay, so my DS is 5 and I just had his end of year interview with his teacher this morning. If any of you have read my previous posts he has had a few behaviour dramas at different stages throughout the year and most of it stemmed from moving from NSW to QLD and the differences with kindergarten and Prep standards (thank god for National Curriculum coming in in the next 2 years is all I can say!) - and of course the other stuff kids his age go through when you move anyway like thinking you'd still have your friends and then finding out they aren't actually moving schools/house with you even though thats what you think when you are that age! Poor little tyke.

Anyway, I've kept him going this year by doing extra stuff with him reading books and those school work books etc, also going for walks many mornings and so forth, which I'm sure you understand isn't so easy when you have a 5yo 3yo and expecting or have a little baby. and this worked each time he got a bit unruly and settled him down again, although since my DH has been working away so much this last 5 months I have noticed that around September he started getting bored again until the teacher gave him more work to do (him and 2 other kids in the class).

So today I've had his interview and the teacher said he is already where he would need to be to go into grade 2.

I knew he was bored again but I had no idea just how ahead of his class he was intellectually (socially though he is very much a 5 yr old boy!)

What I am wondering is if anyone has any ideas to keep him occupied/amused and more importantly out of trouble over the next 7 weeks of school holidays AND I need to figure out how to not keep challenging his mind because I don't want to have the same boredom issues happening next year.

I just had a thought as I was typing this that I might see the principal to ask if there will be a yr 1/2 composite class next year - that might help for then, (not that we find that out until the week before school resumes) but its going to be a LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGGG holiday I think so please throw your ideas at me.
Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your replies!!!

Have a squiz thru this site
There are some really fun science kits available now...making superballs, making slime. What about some more advanced puzzles, mechanno would probably keep him entertained for a while, bunnings sell a billycart kit which could be fun for him to make and paint, learning magic tricks might also stimulate his brain but isnt school taught so he wont be advancing past his peers...see if you can get a cheap or even second hand video camera and get him to make a movie you will be surprised what he comes up with.

Cheers Ness

dh was bored in school too. Dropped out in yr 10, year 11 and year 12. He knows maths, science, english all at university level - but was so unstimulated in school he just used to go and play basketball and sit at home wagging to watch documentarys. huh He has no formal qualifications but is incredibly intelligent and can tell you the theory of anything, learn languages at the drop of a hat and do anything with computers. i am a big believer in matching the education to the child not the other way around....
Some brilliant ideas here that I shall have to borrow!!
I think the best way is to extend sideways rather than 'up' if that makes sense. I'd suggest that you focus on things that aren't as strongly emphasised at school rather than the things he'll be doing at school so look into craft/art activities, physcial activities e.g. little athletics, swimming lessons etc, something to do with music. It can also be involving him in day to day things that will relate to things he's going to be doing at school e.g. helping with the shopping for money, cooking for things like measuring and just giving him some areas of responsibility (at a level he can deal with e.g. feeding a pet or something).

If you focus on things that will be emphasised at school all that's going to happen is he will disengage with the work because its so easy for him and this might lead to him underachieving at school.

Another thing to consider is his own interests/starting up a hobby and look at extending sideways in those areas maybe by joining a group in your local area or by learning about the hobby at home e.g astronomy isn't something that is really dealt with at school but there might be an astronomy group he could join in your local area/you can buy him a telescope/take him to an observatory and he can learn about the different stars and constellations etc (encouraging him to read about them - age appropriately of course without focusing on the reading, its an incidental learning).

Maybe look into something like Scouts/Boys' Brigade for him next year as a social activity that will extend him in areas outside traditional school work. I think they normally have multiple age groups in each level, I know Girls' Brigade was Cadets: Year 1-3, Juniors: Year4-6, Seniors: Year7-8 and Pioneers: Year 9-12 and think Boys' Brigade does something similar (first level used to be called Anchor Boys). This way he'll be in a group with kids up to a few year levels above him so getting challenged but the leaders also recognise that different children will be able to complete activities at different levels so they have age appropriate and skill appropriate expectations.

Leisa.
Swimming lessons are great for getting them to think about how their body works

I got my son into Karate which he loves and is getting really good at... orange belt now. but when he starts to get a bit fuzzy durning the day i send him out side to his punching bag and also to practise his karta...

this is great especially if you are going to have a child who lets face it be really good at school..... surely won;t get picked on for doing well.

you have to hae an outside interest
Sign in to follow this topic