Huggies Forum

Guilt Rss

I am 36 weeks pregnant and I have a son who is a few months over 2 and at the moment I'm starting to feel guilty about having this new baby and not being available to look after him like I do now
I know what you are feeling i was there over a year ago!! It's so hard to think maybe i wont love him as much as the new baby!!All these thoughts are normal but it's a great feeling welcoming a new joy to the family! My son loves and adores his sister!!

I am 36 weeks pregnant and I have a son who is a few months over 2 and at the moment I'm starting to feel guilty about having this new baby and not being available to look after him like I do now

Hi, DS2 was born a month before DS1 turned 2. It was, and still is, hard to divide your time between looking after the baby and still spending the time needed with the older child. A good piece of advice I got was to always tend to the older child first, if both are hungry, feed the toddler before the baby, as the older will know the difference but the baby wont. It will take a few months to adjust but dont feel guilty, you do work out how to spend the right amount of time with both, you just end up doing different things with them than you did with just one.
Oh honey...I went through the exact same feelings when I was pregnant with DS2. My son is also two and a bit! In the last few weeks of the pregnancy I would have days when I would just cry non stop at the very thought! I felt guilty right from the very moment we found out we were having our second child and the guilt just seemed to build up towards the end. I couldn't stop thinking that for some reason I wouldn't be able to love two, or that the love I had for DS1 would have to be shared...VERY untrue!

My DS2 is now 7 weeks old and the love I have for him is just as much as what I have for DS1. I struggled in hospital having to be away from DS1...so much that I ended up discharging myself from hospital!

My DS1 is still the happy healthy well adjusted child that he was before his brother came along...he still gets attention and special times and he loves his brother like there is no tomorrow.

If anything, having DS2 has made me realise the DS1 is a little boy now and not a baby and he has grown up so much.

It must be all the hormones that make us feel this way...it's a horrible feeling but from what I can gather, totally normal!

You'll do a great job, the best way you know how and once you hold that baby and see the love your older child has for the baby everything will fall into place.

Good luck!
Sign in to follow this topic