Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Older Siblings
  5. What should a he be able to do?!

What should a he be able to do?! Lock Rss

[font="Palatino Linotype"][size="3"][color="#800080"]Just curious as to what my DS1 should be able to do, he will be 4 in January! He can: [/color][/size][/font][list][*][font="Palatino Linotype"][size="3"][color="#800080"]Say the Alphabet / Recognise Letters[/color][/size][/font][*][font="Palatino Linotype"][size="3"][color="#800080"]Count / Recognise Numbers[/color][/size][/font][*][font="Palatino Linotype"][size="3"][color="#800080"]Write pretty much anything including Letters/Numbers[/color][/size][/font][/list][font="Palatino Linotype"][size="3"][color="#800080"]I am pretty happy with what he can do, but just wondering if I should be teaching/encouraging anything else?[/color][/size][/font]
dd is four and can do the same and write her name her brothers name mum dad cat dog and we sent her to kindy this term and the teacher couldnt believe she could spell her name Jaime
So i think what he can do is great but not sure what the level of learning is meant to be for 4 years old
hth
DD is 4.5 and doing the same..... something I have done with her is brought a scrapbook.... put the letters A through Z one on each double page.... then together we cut out pictures and she says what they are... I say the sound of the letter and we go through and find where it should be glued in... then I write the word underneath it...

My sister also suggested yesterday that what she does with her 4yo is gets a word like CAT for example... shows DD, they say it together and say the letters... then she put 2 other words and says now see if you cxan still find cat and makes it harder and harder and she loves that 'game' and recognises lots of words that way....
My ds is 4 in January and can do 50% of what your son can do and he is advanced for his age. So you have one clever little boy on your hands.
My suggestion for things you can do would now be more physical, learn to ride a bike, tie shoelaces etc. More hands on things. He's not even 4 yet and once he starts school it's all about learning. I would encourage play because before you know it he won't have much time for that anymore.
sounds like he is doing well.However,I would encourage more gross motor skills too.I recently sat in on our school's new kindy orientation and our principal prefers them to come to school with just recognition of their name.If they can write it then its good but not essential.Also he said knowing the alphabet is fine too but its not useful until they are in yrs 2+ when they have to put things in alpabetical order.Prior to that they learn sounds.

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Wow my DS is 4.5 and can do half of that. He can spell his name out when asked. But isnt very good at writing it yet. He seems to have a bit of trouble writing. He recognises all letters. He can count and recognise numbers but again has trouble writing them

My DS is a very physical little boy and finds it hard to concentrate for long and gets bored easily so hes difficult to teach

My DS is a very physical little boy and finds it hard to concentrate for long and gets bored easily so hes difficult to teach

Mine was the same!!!! he could name every make and model truck, could pick them without seeing him them, just by sound and leanrt his colours reading trucken life magazine..... loved riding his bike and being outsdie but honestly even when he started kinder ar 4.5 years, he could only count to 10, knew his colours if he concentrated and couldn't write his name... but he thrived at kindy and learnt so much.... I figured it was my job to do the fun stuff and leave the teching to the teachers tongue

BUT DD1 has been so different, she loves to learn.... she can do physical things to but she just loves learning new things, and I think DD2 will be the same... as she can count to 20, knows her alphabet and colours etc...
My 4 yr old DD enjoys counting, writing and reading too.

I spoke to her 3 yr old kinder teacher about it, as I was concerned that she might be bored when she starts school.

I asked if I should NOT teach her things.

The kinder teacher said "If she wants to learn, NEVER hinder her learning."

Hope that helps, Lindie

My ds is 4 in January and can do 50% of what your son can do and he is advanced for his age. So you have one clever little boy on your hands.
My suggestion for things you can do would now be more physical, learn to ride a bike, tie shoelaces etc. More hands on things. He's not even 4 yet and once he starts school it's all about learning. I would encourage play because before you know it he won't have much time for that anymore.

Definitely. They spend so much time learning why not just let them play and enjoy themselves. My older DD couldnt do any of that until she was taught at kindy. When she got to kindy something new and exciting was to be enjoyed.

Before then I just let her live her life kidstyle smile

Definitely. They spend so much time learning why not just let them play and enjoy themselves. My older DD couldnt do any of that until she was taught at kindy. Before then I just let her live her life kidstyle smile

Ijust want to say that my kids do have a kid lifestyle they still spend a lot of time outside with their animals, riding bikes etc.... my DD ASKS me to teach her these things, so she does enjoy it and it never forced smile
DD is 4.5 and can count really well - together we've counted to 100, but she did need help here and there smile

She's not great with the alphabet tho... sings the song, but mumbles thru some parts of what she doesn't know - L M N O P - they kind of become one big mumble! laugh

She can write her name and DS's and DD2s. Some of her letters are back to front, but she gets the gist of it.

I've got some good (albeit boring) books which help with sounds - ie the have printed in big letters 'at' and then each page introduces a new letter to put in front to make a word - cat, pat, hat etc.
They have been helpful.

Sounds like your DS is flying along!

DD1 is 4 in March and is no where near that clever tongue She can say and recognise letters and numbers but she doesn't really draw and has only just recently leaned how to write the letter S (her name starts with S). Daycare is not at all concerned about her development so I think she is pretty average in regards to it all.
Sign in to follow this topic