Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Older Siblings
  5. What would you do if you found

What would you do if you found Rss

Would you read it?

Just wanting to know what others think of this as I don't have a teenage daughter yet... this is about a friend of mine.

i'd like to say no but i probably would.
I would hope i wouldn't read it since it is private

very hypothetical, only boys here I would like to say no but would be tempted lol

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

My mother did this, and I'd still do it though, sometimes there are just things you need to know, that she won't tell you. Thats how my mother found out DP and I were having sex. She gave me some of the best advice I've ever had after reading it..

but in saying that my mother never forgave for saying I wished she wasn't my mother (I wrote it in there and meant it, still do infact). So you have to be careful what your getting yourself into

my mum read my diary and approached me about what was written in it. I was about 19 and had moved away from home, doing the usual experimentations, had a steady BF and I used the diary to vent into so it didnt have any good stuff in there. I am now 32 and I have no trust in my mum due to her doing this, and I have also become a very private person and feel I cant vent anywhere now, all stemming from that HUGE invasion of my privacy.

If I were to have real concerns about a young teenager, I may be tempted to read it, but I would never let them know, that trust cannot easily be gained back. I wouldnt read it just for the curiosity factor though.

Would you read it?

Just wanting to know what others think of this as I don't have a teenage daughter yet... this is about a friend of mine.

My DD1 (13) has a book that she writes down her vents and feelings down in, so I guess that is pretty much a diary hey. The guidance officer suggested it so she could have a place to vent without feeling like there would be consequences for what she was thinking or saying. It is a place where she can call me, her Dad, her siblings every name under the sun when she is upset, a place to whinge about her friends, a place to vent what is happening in her life and how she is feeling about it all. I have picked DD's book up from random spots in the house several times (where she left it laying around) and I'd by lying if I said I haven't found myself tempted to read it BUT I haven't because it is her one little completely private outlet, a book that is just for her and no one else. If I read it I have no doubt I would be upset with what she could have written in there when she was at her most upset or angriest and just because she writes those words in anger does not mean she means them once she has cooled down IYKWIM.

I wouldn't want anyone reading my diary, because they are usually filled with our most intimate thoughts, fears and feelings, and that is why I don't keep one myself.
hmm... imo that it is majorly crossing the line- but my daughter is only 3 so maybe I'm jumping the gun?

My friends found their daughters diary - not only read it but went and blasted her for the things in it (stuff about hating her parents and wishing them dead). And they yelled and screamed at her in front of another family and about 5 of this girls friends - repeating a whole heap of stuff that was in the diary. They took her phone off her and have grounded her.

I had a diary at that age... and I hated my parents too - isn't it just a hormonal teenage girl thing? The stuff I wrote in my diary was awful - but it was my way of venting and getting it out because I didn't know how to cope with all those new strange and confusing feelings.

I was upset for their daughter - her mum was telling me about it and I said nothing for fear of offending her and seeming like I was telling her how to parent her when I don't have a teenager... but I was completely appalled!

Hubby had the view that it's crossing the line to disipline her like they did, especially in front of other people but said he would have also read it because imagine how you'd feel if she'd written suicidal things in it and you read it after she'd actually done it. (bit extreme hubby but yeah, I see your point! lol)

Not proud to say it, but I would read it.

If she was doing something that was dangreous, I'd hate to think that I could have helped her or stopped it somehow, and it was too late. My mum read some private stuff of mine when I was younger, and I was angry at the time but we had the best talk when she confronted me about it, and it helped open the communications between us so I can't help but think it was a good thing in the end.

ETA that I just read your post - I would never be angry for her saying she wished we were dead etc etc - that is just venting and letting off steam. But if I saw that she had been doing drugs/drinking/driving around with drunk boys/having sex (!!), those are the things I would confront her about. Confront is probably the wrong word, approach maybe.
A diary is very private and I would not want anyone reading mine if I had one.
In saying that though, IF there was something I was concerned about (if she had a change in attitude or I had a bad feeling something was going on etc.) I would probably just try to flick through it to see if I could find something linked to my concern. I would not read through every page just because I could.
popular saying.. 'Curiosity killed the cat..' It's popular for a reason.
My step-mother read my diary when I was 15 and I have never been able to look at her the same way, I do not trust her with anything private at all.

I have a journal now and I wouldn't want anyone to read it.

I wouldn't read my daughter's diary unless I knew something was very very wrong and I needed information.

Anything you read in someone's else's diary is hard to take in context as it is about what they felt at that exact point in time which for some can change hour to hour or day to day. It would be so hard not to be offended by what was written about you though.

Hubby had the view that it's crossing the line to disipline her like they did, especially in front of other people but said he would have also read it because imagine how you'd feel if she'd written suicidal things in it and you read it after she'd actually done it. (bit extreme hubby but yeah, I see your point! lol)

this is my reasoning too. i wouldnt approach her about the normal i hate my family stuff but if she was having sex and drugs and all the other things we as parents fear, i will then be having a talk to her. if all was ok, she wouldnt even know i have read it.
Sign in to follow this topic