Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Older Siblings
  5. thoughts about homeschooling?

thoughts about homeschooling? Lock Rss

Its not something I could do, I love my kids dearly but I have no patience! and I am not the sharpest tool in the shed either so I wouldn't do it BUT in saying that we live in a very small town and the school here has just on 100 students and everyone knows everyone, not saying bullying doesn't happen here but you are more likely to be abl;e to nip in the bud....

TO DEE......

Just wanted to say one of my besties was pulled out of school in year 8 until year 10 due to bullying and fighting amongst girls her mum homeschooled her until she was better able to cope with the issues and she did very well

TO DEE......

Just wanted to say one of my besties was pulled out of school in year 8 until year 10 due to bullying and fighting amongst girls her mum homeschooled her until she was better able to cope with the issues and she did very well

Good to hear positive stories like that Jess, thanks smile If things get too out of hand with DD this is something we will be looking at doing too. Hoping it doesn't get to that stage and she can remain in school.
My SIL has home schooled her brood of 9.

Some have now gone to school because she is obviously not equipped to teach such a large number of kids in such a huge age range. I think her interest was lost about the time her eldest was old enough to do her job... NOT my idea of a good education. Not much a childhood for the eldest either.

Obviously some people do it amazingly well. I used to teach craft and jewellery making to some and they were well taught and regimented. It's very important to belong to a network and to do some form of team sport.

Also, in my SIL's case the 2 oldest kids are no longer school aged, but they do not have any plans and seem to wander aimlessly around with no future plans or qualifications.

Some things to consider:
The NSW board of Studies recommends home schooling only in periods of about 18 months to 2 years.
What qualifications are you aiming for your children to have access to.
Are you able to give your children the structure that they need to operate in society? My SIL's kids have never been puctual I put this down to a lack of structure.
There is no comprehensive AUSTRALIAN curriculum for home schooling. The Christian one mentioned before is adapted for our curriculum from the US version.
Finally, there is no measure or reporting process for "bad" home schooling...

I know, I'm a downer, but I have an educational degree and a Masters in educational psychology and I could go on for days with other reasons not to do it, but ultimately it is your decision.

Both my DH and I would be very unlikely to employ a home schooled teen in our businesses.
Sign in to follow this topic