Huggies Forum

Late for school Lock Rss

Do what I did with my now teenage daughters when they wouldn't get ready in time.....drive them to school in their pyjamas!!!!!!!! My DD's thought it was an idle threat until I finally had enough one day and loaded them into the car dressed in whatever they'd managed to get into by that time and were mortified when mum pulled up at the front gate of the school and offered to walk them in in front of all their mates LOL

They've never dragged the chain again hehehehehe

PMSL thats awesome

I have 3 school age children and this is their morning routine:

Out of bed by 7:30am
Dressed and at the table by 7:45am
Breakfast finished and dishes in the sink by 8 am
Make their lunches and have their bags packed by 8:15am
Brush teeth, wash face do hair and be at the door by 8:30am

They all have rewards charts that I have laminated with their chores/what you see above on it and I make it their responsibility. We are the same, no TV no distractions and if they get 5 days in a row with no crosses they get rewarded with canteen.

I had to be like a drill sergent for the first week, tough love, if you hadnt finished your breakfast too bad move to the next task and if you have time at the end finishe it, if not then you learn the hard way.

I know it probably sounds horrible, but now they get themselves ready and are ready to head on time everyday. Kids respond well to a good routine and clearly set out guidelines.

Its at the point now where I dont even have to get out of bed and they have it all done. (not that I have ever had the chance to sleep in, but Im sure I could trust them).

Give it a go and see if it works.

Good luck

This is a great plan! You could use a little kitchen timer to set the time and if they arnt done then move on!

Do what I did with my now teenage daughters when they wouldn't get ready in time.....drive them to school in their pyjamas!!!!!!!! My DD's thought it was an idle threat until I finally had enough one day and loaded them into the car dressed in whatever they'd managed to get into by that time and were mortified when mum pulled up at the front gate of the school and offered to walk them in in front of all their mates LOL

bahahahahahahahaha

lol
My friend has 4 kids. 3 are school age (5, 6 and 7y/o) and the youngest is 4 and goes to childcare twice a week. She gets them there by 9ish. If they don't finish or even start their breakfast by the time they have to leave then they miss out. The eldest has been telling the teacher that mum doesn't have time to feed them breakfast sad She also says that her mum and dad are too drunk at night to feed them dinner. I know this isn't true sad It's breaking my friends heart because the teacher and principal think she's hopeless. She had a letter sent home the other day asking her to 'make a bit more effort with your parenting and try to get your children to school by 8.40am'. She's losing it. She tries so hard but they just don't listen sad She said parents with 1 child are turning up as she is or as she's leaving so the letter made her feel like they're really watching her. She came over the next morning (I was taking DD1 to childcare) in tears. DH had about 2hrs sleep but stayed up, had a chat and made her a coffee till I got home.

This thread has been great! I'm going to pass on these tips to her smile
I love huggies!

My friend has 4 kids. 3 are school age (5, 6 and 7y/o) and the youngest is 4 and goes to childcare twice a week. She gets them there by 9ish. If they don't finish or even start their breakfast by the time they have to leave then they miss out. The eldest has been telling the teacher that mum doesn't have time to feed them breakfast sad She also says that her mum and dad are too drunk at night to feed them dinner. I know this isn't true sad It's breaking my friends heart because the teacher and principal think she's hopeless. She had a letter sent home the other day asking her to 'make a bit more effort with your parenting and try to get your children to school by 8.40am'. She's losing it. She tries so hard but they just don't listen sad She said parents with 1 child are turning up as she is or as she's leaving so the letter made her feel like they're really watching her. She came over the next morning (I was taking DD1 to childcare) in tears. DH had about 2hrs sleep but stayed up, had a chat and made her a coffee till I got home.

This thread has been great! I'm going to pass on these tips to her smile
I love huggies!

My eldest had his OT appointment on Thursday and I was told that I wasnt hard enough on him. I thought that I was pretty much a drill sergent mother but apparently not enough. She just needs to find a voice that works for her - shouting doesnt always get you what you want - I was taught (by the OT) to use a low voice and put my hands on his shoulders and put pressure on him. I hate doing it, but if it works its worth it. Last night when he had his nightly fit at me instead of shrieking orders at him I tried the pressure low voice and we ended up having a conversation, he went to bed and sleep without the usual fight.
From the other side now....

I'm a teacher and it is soooo frustrating when children arrive late. late arrivals disrupt teh entire class, they stop my teaching time, they then take time away from the class because I have to explain the task to them again.
For the child it makes it difficult to be organised and prepared for the day. you know how you feel if you are rushing somewhere. They tend to be the children who have forgotten their readers, leave lunch boxes at home etc.
Also consider how much time they actually miss by being late regularly. It adds up. Half an hour a day equates to more than a week each term. By the end of primary school hat is more than a whole year of their education they have missed out on. (That's not including any days off!)
Totally agree with chloejane1. Im also a teacher and it is soooo frustrating having those late comers. We dont punish the children as we dont know if its the childs fault (primary years). My day starts as soon as the bell goes and we do Literacy. The poor darlings always miss out on the most important learning steps when they are late and it shows in their learning (usually)

As a PP said, rewards would be great. I think canteen money is the best idea so far as children love getting money and buying something small from the canteen. If you already do money each morning i would not give it unless they are ready on time and if you dont already do it, give as a reward on Fridays. I would start off by saying if you are on time 4 of the 5 days to start off you get some canteen money and as they get better change the rule to 5 days out of 5 on time.

Ignore the comments if the school doesnt care dont worry. It is a huge problem that needs to be resolved. Goodluck.
Sign in to follow this topic