Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Older Siblings
  5. discussing private parts with 5yr old daughter

discussing private parts with 5yr old daughter Lock Rss

hi, my 5yr old daughter has just started asking questions and becoming fascinated with her private parts. would love feedback on how others go about discussing this issue and the names they would use when teaching their child what their body parts are called. thanks!
My daughter is not that old yet and hasnt started asking questions so I cant help you there but on the other topic of names and what to call them, im pretty sure these days - especially for school aged children its advised that they are referred to by their proper names eg. vagina and penis. Im pretty sure this is because if god forbid anything every happened to them, when questioned by authorities its important that the correct names are referred to.
Hope this helped a little.
Hi there,
I have heard that you should be naming parts right from the word go, so when they are in the bath you should be saying we something like "time to wash your vulva/penis" etc. You should always use the correct names too.
Good luck, always tricky subjects!
I use the proper names with DS.....though he's not old enough yet to teach him about the difference between boys & girls. He knows his parts.

hi, my 5yr old daughter has just started asking questions and becoming fascinated with her private parts. would love feedback on how others go about discussing this issue and the names they would use when teaching their child what their body parts are called. thanks!

My DD is 4 and askes questions, I just answer them as normal and tell her the trough.

We call her bits a Gina and DS has a willy but who wouldnt know what it means really! Im sure if they were talking about it the person whould know what they were refuring to smile

Hi i just had the big discussion with my almost 3 year old. We have always referred to 'bits' - boy bits and girl bits but we had a talk about his penis and testicles and scrotum and how just boys and men have them. I didn't go into the girl bits with him cos I don't think he needs to know that yet. But i did hear a child psychologist talking on subject. She said that it's totally fine to use the slang words we all use but that they should know the proper names for their parts. Partly just for having the right info and and partly s they can tell you specifically what is sore or itchy etc (from a medical view point). Made sense to me but glad he initiated it! Oh and cracked me up when he asked if Grandad had a "scrote and tentacles" laugh

Hi i just had the big discussion with my almost 3 year old. We have always referred to 'bits' - boy bits and girl bits but we had a talk about his penis and testicles and scrotum and how just boys and men have them. I didn't go into the girl bits with him cos I don't think he needs to know that yet. But i did hear a child psychologist talking on subject. She said that it's totally fine to use the slang words we all use but that they should know the proper names for their parts. Partly just for having the right info and and partly s they can tell you specifically what is sore or itchy etc (from a medical view point). Made sense to me but glad he initiated it! Oh and cracked me up when he asked if Grandad had a "scrote and tentacles" laugh

Lol hehe My DS calls them His balls. blink

we only have boys and they know penis etc but always say doodle, willy etc but to me vagina is not really the ' correct' term .Isn't the vagina the part inside not what you see from the outside,I am with a pp who used vulva

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic