Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Older Siblings
  5. 6yr old started pooing pants again...what the ???

6yr old started pooing pants again...what the ??? Rss

i have no idea why this has started, she tells me she doesn't knows she doing it. she does it at school, at home and at friends.
anyone got any ideas what this could be?

My DS was doing the same thing. He was totally toilet trained at the age of 3, no problems, it took us about 2 weeks & he was done, all good. But then when he was 5, when he started kindergarten & at the same time i had a just given birth to my 3rd child, he started pooing his pants all the time. I was told it might be an attention thing & that i should just keep an eye on it. He is now 7 & he still occasionally does it. He goes at least a week between doing number 2's as well which doesnt help the situtaion. We even had his bowel xrayed & it showed up masses of poo in there, it was amazing (IYKWIM)to see it so clearly. He was put on a form of child laxative to soften it so it wouldnt hurt when it did come out. But he too says to me, he doesnt feel it coming at 1st, then when he feels it, its too late. He is a very nervous child too, so im not sure what the go is, but its very frustrating & i just wanted to let you know you are not the only one.

DS 9, DD 7, DD 4

Wow this seems to be a common problem DS is 7 and in yr 1 at school, he has the same problem i took him to the ER a few times cos he refused to poo and was screaming in pain, x-rays showed his bowel was full with masses of poo, (he is the oldest of four and a very shy/nervous child. It all started at preschool he wouldnt poo at school because of the huge windows that looked into where the toilets were.

The doctor told me that because he doesnt poo regular enough, the poo just keeps compacting, getting harder in his bowel and stretching it out of shape. Over time some of the poo turns to slush and gathers in the stretched out sides of the bowel, this slush can seep out without the child knowing until it is too late. My doc says the only way to help him is to re-train his bowel, he has to sit on the toilet after breakfast everyday for 10min and try to push out a poo. This should over time teach the bowel to have regular motions again and the bowel should return to its normal shape.

This is the plan, but my boy doesnt like to sit on the toilet everyday. It's a fight to get him on there and when he does he refuses to try to get one out, he has been on senakot, lactulose, movicol and they seemed to only make his "accidents" less solid and very watery so I took him off them. This has gone on for 3yrs now, sometimes he will poo regular and he can go a month without an "accident" but then all of a sudden he stops pooing again. His accidents started around the same time as the birth of our third child, also he never tells me he has had one he just waits till I can smell it, which is very frustrating.

Sorry for the essay but its kind of a relief to know that their are some people in the same situation.

My DS was doing the same thing. He was totally toilet trained at the age of 3, no problems, it took us about 2 weeks & he was done, all good. But then when he was 5, when he started kindergarten & at the same time i had a just given birth to my 3rd child, he started pooing his pants all the time. I was told it might be an attention thing & that i should just keep an eye on it. He is now 7 & he still occasionally does it. He goes at least a week between doing number 2's as well which doesnt help the situtaion. We even had his bowel xrayed & it showed up masses of poo in there, it was amazing (IYKWIM)to see it so clearly. He was put on a form of child laxative to soften it so it wouldnt hurt when it did come out. But he too says to me, he doesnt feel it coming at 1st, then when he feels it, its too late. He is a very nervous child too, so im not sure what the go is, but its very frustrating & i just wanted to let you know you are not the only one.

Just thought i would share my happiness with you ladies who are going through the same thing as me. My DS7 is now finally after all the above problems, going to the toilet to do a #2 on a daily basis. The best part about it is im not having to ask him to go to the toilet to try, he just takes himself to the toilet just before going to bed each night & out it comes sorry if TMI. Its no longer hard anymore, its smaller as well. I am so proud of my DS. I think because of his age (8 in october), the penny finally dropped, which i honestly thought was never going to happen. I was sure i going to be wiping his bottom for him in high school, ha, ha!

I found that i had to stop the "asking him to go" & then after about 1-2 weeks he just deciced to take himself & presto... We do make a big deal about it still when he does do one, he's quite happy to show us his efforts too IYKWIM. He is also still seeing a child pshycologist once a month which i think is helping him also. I have just learnt to "back off" a little on the whole over bearing parent thing, its hard, but at his age i have been told he just wants more freedom & inturn he will do more things for me, which he is in alot of ways!

I would still love to keep in touch with you & your boys progress, as i know how draining the whole situation can be!

Thanks for listening to my problems once again.

DS 9, DD 7, DD 4

i have no idea why this has started, she tells me she doesn't knows she doing it. she does it at school, at home and at friends.
anyone got any ideas what this could be?

I have found this to be a common problem, we also went through this with my then 5yr old, started with some bullying from older girls at school, kids playing in the toilets etc (which I didnt know about till much later), to start with we thought she was being lazy but she kept saying she didnt know it was coming till it was too late so took her to the doctor (after quite a long time of thinking she was being lazy or just not wiping properley)and he gave her lactulouse to make it eaiser but she wasnt conspitated at all, her motions were completely normal and regular apart from these little escaping bits.
anyway went back to the doctor and he gave her a script for senakort I think and it has really worked, no more poo undies, its 1 small pill a day and really works
Sign in to follow this topic