Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Older Siblings
  5. Bedtime Routine for Different ages?

Bedtime Routine for Different ages? Rss

Hi,

I have a 3 year old, 2 year old and a 10 month old and a bub on the way. I also have a husband that works away. So a lot of the time there's only ONE of me to do EVERYTHING!

So what I'm trying to find out is how to do a bedtime routine that that doesn't drag bedtimes out longer and longer everynight. I know I need to be firm. I'm just trying to get suggestions on how I can do that with all 3 (soon to be 4) kids and get them into bed (preferably sleeping) at a reasonable time?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kate,QLD,Toddlers x 2, Just crawling and Bub in th

I would put the 3 and 2 year olds to bed together at the same time, then deal with the 10 month old. I’ll tell you what I do and it might help you. I have three kids – 6, 4 and 11 months and I put them to bed on my own most nights. The kids are in bed with lights out by 7pm.

I start cooking dinner by 4:15pm so it’s just about finished by 5pm.

Bath all 3 together at 5pm. Sitting down to eat dinner by 5:20pm.

Toilet and brush teeth straight after dinner at around 6pm.

Leave the baby up to play while I read to the 6 & 4 year olds – one book for two kids. Their lights are out at around 6:45pm.

Last feed for the baby, read a book and lights out by 7pm.

You’ll need to alter things slightly as your oldest are a bit younger than mine – you might want to take all 3 kids pjs into the bathroom so you can dry and dress one while the others stay in the bath. Make sure that dinner is mostly the same thing for all three kids. I don’t know what you’re going to do once the baby arrives though – good luck!

I agree with the PP. I have a 8 year old and a 8 month old. I am not as organised in the arvo as the PP but the 8 month old is in bed at 6pm at the latest, after a bath, bottle and then bed. The 8 year old is in bed at 7.30 at the latest, but usually 7pm. This gives her time with us without the baby around, and we have dinner together without the baby at about 6-6.30. I think you need to have a night time routine that you stick to that makes it easier when your partner is not there. I like the PP's routine though, the bonus of this is that the children know what to expect next and after a few teething problems in the beginning, it will make your life easier. Hope this helps.
Hi I have two toddlers

My dh doesn't get home until late so I do most things
4.30 start dinner
5-5.30 dinner
6pm bath
6.30 story quiet time
7pm bed for both ( almost 3yr and a 16mth old )

Megan: Cathrine 21/10/06 Alex 25/03/08

Hi I have 3 and 1 due in 3wks, 7yrs,3yrs and 2yrs, the youngest 2 share a room but wont go to sleep if i put them to bed at the same time, so heres my routine: dinner between 5-5.30
shower at 6.00 for all 3
play till 6.45 while i clean up after dinner
toys away by 7 then youngest 2 have a cup of milo while we read a book or 2,
brush teeth 2yr old in bed at 7.30
3yrold bed 8.00
7yr old bed between 8.30-9.00.
you can gaurantee all will be up by 7am the lastest every day.

jade82

I have 4 kids 11 years, 8 years, 6 1/2 years and a 2 yo.

My kids have dinner between 4.30 and 5.30. They usually have what dh and i had night before so all you have to do is reheat.

Bath/shower for all after dinner.

Fruit or small treat after shower.

Teeth, book and bed for 2yo 6.30

7-7.30 bed for 8 and 6 1/2 yo's

8pm bed for 11 yo.

Bed times here are the latest as I like to have some quiet time for me/us before bed.

I cook our dinner when 2 yo has gone to bed of getting ready.

Sign in to follow this topic