Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Got way of topic Rss

WOOOOOOOO!!!!
Thats alot of back and forth I was just reading through!
I'm a young mum of one, and I know exactly what it is like to be judged just because of my age.
The stares I sometimes get when walking down the street, when I rang up this furniture place the other day just because I have a daughter and I'm young he assummmmmmed I needed some kinda quote for winz?? I was really offended.. I would say that yeah some young mums out there ain't that great! But hey some older mums aren't either, so why mainly the younger mothers are getting badly judged I don't know sad
I know alot of young mothers whom didn't plan their pregnancy, but turns out they love motherhood!
Being younger means obviously you are abit fitter and healthier so can easily "concieve" BUT theres alot more knowledge out there about safe sex for teens.
Times have changed and I think generally the older generation (NO OFFENCE PLEASE) think that we are still in their frame of time.
Thats just my little say
O and one more thing I have noticed....
Is that its not just the judgmental people its the rudeness and arogance to any mother!
Public transport people will not help a mother if she is struggling for example to get her pram onto the bus or train. And YES another one for young mums is they get put second if waiting to be served & some people are quite rude!
I feel for any one who gets mistreated in any way
My post above is purely because I'm abit pissed from my own experiences lately sad

Cheers
I would love to give my opinion....

I am 20, and happily married with two beautiful daughters who have the same father who I have been with since I was 15.

This isn't about age, it's about what other people are doing to today's pregnant mothers. EG

some people look down on young mothers and say that they should use contraception and that it's not fair on the children etc (my kids were planned) and some people look down on older mothers saying that they're too old and it's not fair on the children....

WELL I JUST WANT TO SAY BUGGER THEM ALL!!! LADIES WHETHER THEY ARE OLDER OR YOUNGER ARE BEAUTIFUL WHEN THEY ARE PREGNANT, WHEN THEY GIVE BIRTH AND WHEN THEY HAVE THEIR BEAUTIFUL BUNDLE OF JOY. No matter what age you are, you will still feel love for that beautiful baby and I say that you should keep your chin up and love every day you have with your baby. Older/younger mothers have the same rights and DEFINATELY the same responsibilities once the baby is in their arms.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with this post as I am purely saying that a mother is a mother no matter what age and as long as she takes responsibility for her child then nothing she is doing is wrong.

ANY WAYS i just skiped the last couple of post gets messy after a few you can never =make everyone happy thats why we are all different...

i am 20 and have a 7 month old but i also look 16 without make-up and my hair done soo i do get all the looks a young mother or pregnant person would get as i did... i hated it ppl would always ask how old i was and if i was still with the father bla bla bla i felt alot of ppl were starin at me and thinkin she is only doin it for the money rah rah bla bla and all the rest i just never left the house without my face or hair done lol but now its a bit hard too do all that soo i just make sure i have my engagment ring on lol but truely i dont give a shit anymore cause he is mine and i look after him by myself as DP works out of town and hardly gets too see us the things you have too do too live...

DP and i have been together since i was 15 and i have basicaly been tryin too fall pregnant since i was 16 its all i have ever wanted too be pregnant too give birth too love someone soo much too watch someone you love soo much grow and call you MUM thats the best feelin in the world and its all i have ever wanted and i have him now and TTC no.2 i only wish this all happened sooner...

Posted by: Amber-87

I am 20, and happily married with two beautiful daughters who have the same father who I have been with since I was 15.

This isn't about age, it's about what other people are doing to today's pregnant mothers. EG

some people look down on young mothers and say that they should use contraception and that it's not fair on the children etc (my kids were planned) and some people look down on older mothers saying that they're too old and it's not fair on the children....

WELL I JUST WANT TO SAY BUGGER THEM ALL!!! LADIES WHETHER THEY ARE OLDER OR YOUNGER ARE BEAUTIFUL WHEN THEY ARE PREGNANT, WHEN THEY GIVE BIRTH AND WHEN THEY HAVE THEIR BEAUTIFUL BUNDLE OF JOY. No matter what age you are, you will still feel love for that beautiful baby and I say that you should keep your chin up and love every day you have with your baby. Older/younger mothers have the same rights and DEFINATELY the same responsibilities once the baby is in their arms.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with this post as I am purely saying that a mother is a mother no matter what age and as long as she takes responsibility for her child then nothing she is doing is wrong.

i agree smile

Hey 26iRLY! We sound so similar!! I love the picture smile I agree, I just skipped the middle posts. But since when is it bad for young mummies ??? I can understand when some people come from though as there ARE some mummies that have gone around saying that they did it for the money. I think there was something on the news about it a while ago and they interviewed a girl who was pregnant aat 14 years. They're the girls that make us look bad (The ones who do it forthe money and then palm their babies off to family members)

I forgot to say before that yes we all have the same rights BUT.... I also got looked down on for being young. I used to want to hide my tummy because of the way people acted. The doctor was REALLY old I went to when I was pregnant with my second daughter. He looked me up and down and goes, "I wish all you young people would protect yourselves from getting pregnant, it will save me time" (in his words, I can't remember to the exact word) he said it really nastily and i almost cried. Then he asked if I will be having an abortion. I TRIED TO CONCEIVE THIS BABY FOR 7 MONTHS....... AS IF I WOULD ABORT IT. I look him in the eye, flashed my wedding ring and said "I am married and this baby was planned." Mind you this was the second app as the first one he kept telling me the test was negative (There was a second line there but he was sooooooo blind!)
Also some mothers have looked at me when I have been taking my kids out and you hear them talk... I used to get home and bawl. But now I think "Think what you want, I don't mind, you're the one being immature, my kids are dressed well, and are clean and fed properly"

PLEASE BE NICE TO LADIES NO MATTER THE AGE AND DO NOT JUDGE.... OLD VERSUS YOUNG IS NOT A COMPETITION, IT SHOULD BE FRIENDLY.

Posted by: 26iRLY
Posted by: Amber-87

i agree smile

[Edited on 08/08/2007]

Reading threw all these posts i dont think i can even remember what the original poster was talking about. Its like chinese wispers. It gets lost along the way and people start talking about something differant. ARGH!! Crazy as a coconut.

Heres my peice. Ive said it once and ill say it again and again.
I got pregnant with my son when i was all but 15 years old. I had him when i was 15. ( 3 months before my 16th ) I only got a measly 800 dollars after i gave birth to my son and that went straight to my hospital bill so people cant say i had my son for the money. I was only with my partner at that time of when i fell pregnant for approximatley a month. We have now been together 4 years and are about to have our second.
I just want to say that not all teen mothers deserve the respect of others. I agree with the majority of the posters you have to prove that your a good mum to not be judged. I no teen mums who take there kids to parties. Now common that is bad parenting if they cant give up there social life to raise there kid then in my opinion that is damn selfish.
I no all the hurtful things people say. I went to school up until the day i was pregnant people said cruel things to me everyday at school but i kept going. I was determined even more by these low lifes that i was going to succeed and become something.
After my son was born i ttok a few months off and returned to school the following year. I completed Year 12 with A's and B's and worked my ass off to pass. I then completed a Certificate 4 in Beauty Therapy and now run my own buisness from home. All of these things i did for myself and to make something of myself and prove that because i had a baby young it didnt mean i had to give everything away.
My life just did not end then and there. I see people who teased me when i was pregnant saying i would get no where and they are doing NOTHING with themselfs and i have my own buisness and all done with a kid. They had nothing. Yet they chose to make nothing of themselfs.
All i wanted was to make my son proud and i hope when hes older he does realize that i did bust my ass of at school to provide for him incase things didnt work out with his father and i.
I think if you want respect you earn respect no matter what age. You prove yourself to be a good mum and people will accept you as a mum not a teenage mum.
I dont think im the best mum in the world by all means but i do everything i can for my son and still i get judged. No matter what society is always going to look down on younger mums and older mums etc theres nothing we can do about it. Sure them that your better then that. That you can be something. And that will shut them up.
Just dont let it get to you. everyone is allowed to voice there opinion just shrug it off and dont care about it. If you no what your doing is write and you no you can be the best mother you can be then thats all you can be nothing more and nothing less no matter what people say.

becstarr88 I totally agree with you. Some people battle through it, after having my daughter I went back to school. It was through open access (phone lessons) but I still did it. I am currently doing certificate III in aged care, then I will go on to do my nursing. It is very hard to do this while having a family but I (just like you and other mothers) wouldn't change it for the world. People like us prove that young mums are good mum, but that shouldn't have to be proven, it should just be known.

Congratulations on your second baby. I hope the birth goes well for you. Two children are definately hard but think of the love they'll have for each other! I wouldn't have it any other way smile Tayah is almost 2 and Kailey is 13 weeks. Xx

Post deleted by administrator.
Post deleted by administrator.
I was 20 and pregnant. People thought I was 16. I left the father as he wouldn't work and put drugs before me and our child. It pissed me off that because I had the kid on my hip, I was labeled, yet he got to walk around with no tag. I wanted to tell people that I wasn't the losser in this, I was doing the best thing for my child. My son was my saviour.
Some people thought I was baby sitting...hahaha

On the same note, I have known terrible young mums how put a social life and drinking before their children. But this isn't only limited to young women.
hey im 21 and a very proud single mommy to my 2 and a bit yr old DD. i too know what those looks your talking about are like, and how if im waiting in line people quite often seem to be happy to push in fromt whilst staring at my DD.
the reason im single is not cos im 'promiscuous' but cos my now ex BF want mature enough to be a father so we split when i was pregnant. Hes seen DD once.
the thing is people judge me before even speaking to me, i must have had DD to save my relationship or keep him, NOPE i had her for the $$$$, NOPE or cos i wanted someone to love me? NOPE so i didnt have to work? NOPE i cant wait to get back to full time work. i admit i fell pregnant whilst not using B/C cos i was told from a young age that pregnancy was very unlikely to happen naturally, so when my ex who knew i wasnt taking the pill etc... asked me to kill the child we had concieved i said no and we split.
My DD is well looked after properly fed and dressed. shes rarely sick although she does have genetic problems but shes a happy healthy two yr old. im currently studying via distance ed whilst working part time so that i can have a career to fully support her.
i dont go out i dont drink and i dont smoke, yet its assumed i must dump my DD on my parents and go out to pubs etc.... all because im young.

im not saying older mothers dont have problems but try this when you look at a mom see her as that not a 18 yr old or a 45 yr old etc... but a woman who has a child/ren for one reason or another.
UNLESS WE REALLY KNOW SOMEONE OR KNOW WE ARE BETTER THAN THEM AT EVERYTHING THAN WE HAVE NO RIGHT TO JUDGE ANYONE.

Sign in to follow this topic