Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Exclusive pumping. How much milk do you get?

Exclusive pumping. How much milk do you get? Rss

I exclusively pumped with my DD, exactly what you are describing is what happened to me. I tried all natural known supply boosters first (fenugreek, lactation cookies, etc) and nothing really helped, so my doctor gave me a prescription for Motilium which helped immensely. The gp you saw must have been a bit of a nuff nuff if she didn't know about Motilium. I still ended up having to comp feed with formula, but at least I could get 100ml per boob every 4-5 hours. The problem is is that the pump does not stimulate the breast to produce milk like a baby would, so it's normal for your supply to drop after awhile. Go back to any gp and ask for a prescription for Motilium - if you wait another week you may find you have almost no supply left by then.

I would try one of the herbal galactogogues in the mean time (fenugreek, blessed thistle etc), and if you are making the cookies yourself, try the raw dough, it is more effective that way smile. I would also try pulling the I need help feeding my newborn baby card with your regular GP/reception staff, say you saw another doctor but they couldn't assist and you need help now. There are usually emergency spots and people do have a soft spot for little bubs.

Regarding fitting in expressing, have you considered using a hands free pumping bra/thing - there are a few around, but this sort of thing http://www.nursingangel.com.au/products/Hands-F.... I haven't actually used one, but thought about it for expressing at work with DD1, if it works it would free you up a bit. Definitely a double electric pump, if you aren't already using one.

I presume from your post that direct feeding isn't an option? If it is a latch or similar issue I would be getting assistance from a LC (or a new one), it is so much easier then expressing once you are up and running with it, but is sadly not an option for everyone.

I hope it gets a bit easier soon.

Double electric breast pump. Way quicker and more effective than a single. Bubs crying will actually help with letdown so as long as he's not distressed you could keep expressing anyway.

We use domperidone for parents at NICU here. It's officially a drug for nausea but apparently has a "side effect" of increased milk supply so we use it for increasing milk supply as opposed to nausea.

It's hard to maintain milk supply through expressing alone and often it will decrease over time. Hope you manage to get it to increase. Good luck!
Supermummy wrote:
Double electric breast pump. Way quicker and more effective than a single. Bubs crying will actually help with letdown so as long as he's not distressed you could keep expressing anyway.

We use domperidone for parents at NICU here. It's officially a drug for nausea but apparently has a "side effect" of increased milk supply so we use it for increasing milk supply as opposed to nausea.

It's hard to maintain milk supply through expressing alone and often it will decrease over time. Hope you manage to get it to increase. Good luck!

Domperidone is Motilium - that's why her gp is an idiot - any doctor worth his salt would know that a side effect of it is milk production.

Your baby would do a much better job at getting what he needs from your breast and I agree with pp about seeing a lactation nurse. I was only ever able to get about 5mL but fed dd until 14mths. Pumped volume doesn't = availability.
From memory I think I got 400- 500ml / day pumping 4 hourly during the day but this was only possible as was taking domperidone (motilium) , you were right to ask for that when u saw your gp, how frustrating that it was a wasted visit and now you need to go back.
Also my midwife gave me a "natural" recipe to drink throughout the day, 1 litre milk, 1 banana, 2T icecream 1 T milo, 1 teaspoon yeast all whizzed up and drink it over the day, apparently it's the yeast in it that helps. Unsure if this did make any difference but it was a good way to help keep fluids up but you sound like you're already very good at that! Getting the domperidone is what you'll need to help keep up supply tho smile
nursenellie wrote:
Also my midwife gave me a "natural" recipe to drink throughout the day, 1 litre milk, 1 banana, 2T icecream 1 T milo, 1 teaspoon yeast all whizzed up and drink it over the day, apparently it's the yeast in it that helps

The yeast would need to be brewers yeast, usually available from health food shops.
Wow I'm impressed! Just a thought - you could try pushing the expressing to 4 hourly (then perhaps you'd be able to "drop" one session during the day to free up a little more time - tho to keep a good supply domperidone might help enable that?
if you were/are ok about formula then you could always top up with that if you don't ever have enough EBM (worked well for us smile and luckily she accepted both equally) - might take the pressure off "running out" if you know he'll accept both?
I take my hat off to you, expressing and looking after a baby is a full time job in itself and you have older children to run around after too!
Kittkatt wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions lilgem and nurse Nellie.
Yes gp is an idiot, paid $72 for nothing!
Perhaps my supply isn't as bad as I thought I get roughly 800ml/day but was getting around 1100_1250 less then a week ago so started to worry that it would continue to decrease until I have none left.

It is definitely not as bad as you are probably worrying it is. 800ml/day is slightly more then most babies between 1-6 months of age need smile Expressing is way easier in the early days with the hormonal oversupply tending to be in force, but you are still managing plenty at the moment and with the natural/prescription galactagogues I am positive you will have plenty for a long time to come!

I had a bit of a look and these may help, KellyMom in general is also worth a browse if you can find the time
How much milk will my baby need - http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milk...
Hands free pumping - http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/hand...

Expressing is a tough road, but you are doing an awesome job, he is a lucky little man smile

ETA: Yay about common sense prevailing at the doctors! Hopefully you will just need to grab the script.

Know what you mean, it's so easy to get caught up in all the "mights" - I like to think of it as being prepared for different outcomes!
Sounds like you have a sensible receptionist at the gp's, yay. if you don't end up getting a script till next week your milk def won't dry up before then plus as soon as you have motilium it'll quickly pick up. So thats one thing you can stop worrying about! smile
Like lilgem said, he's a lucky little man smile
I exclusively pumped for my first for about 7 months (till I went back to work) after a horrific month trying to establish breast feeding. In the beginning I was expressing every time my daughter woke for a feed and then after about two months I dropped to 5 times a day. I would get huge amounts in the morning and average amounts towards the evening, but overall plenty for her. I didn't comp feed and didn't take any supplements - lucky to have a good supply I guess. My assumption is that because I did it so often in the beginning it helped regulate my supply. That said, with my second I was a total breast feeding success and expressing fail smile

Sign in to follow this topic