Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Dr appt yesterday & BF issues

Dr appt yesterday & BF issues Rss

The hospital on discharge said I needed to make a 2 week follow up appt with my doctor. It was yesterday. Saw a different doctor (I don't really have a set one, I just go to whoever is available at that surgery). I asked him about what the midwife suggested (mw & I discussed at length) about PCOS, because I'm having issues breastfeeding.

DD is having about 4x60mL bottles (formula) a day & breastfed as much as possible to boost supply. I'm on fenugreek, oats, brewers yeast, no caffeine (basically doing everything I can dietary wise to increase my supply). I'm also expressing & bought the medela swing. I can express probably 3mL if I sit there for a half hour on each boob.

The mw said that I have underdeveloped breasts. She's right too. I can feel full breast tissue on the outside of each boob, but otherwise they're empty. The left one is bigger than the right and works better. They still get full, they leak if DD doesn't feed at least 3 hourly, but they don't hold much milk.

Getting back to the doctor.. as MIL likes to call 'McDreamy'.. I tried to tell him I've got issues BF, that I can't produce enough milk- that I had the exact same issues with DD1. He basically sat there and said supply=demand, to just feed more often. Like, I have a non issue, next topic, move on. He was all caring & stuff, but didn't acknowledge that there is an actual problem and refused to delve any deeper. It's like he was looking for me to be depressed about it, rather than helping me overcome the real issue. I honestly do want a boob job, it's a sore point for me, and as soon as we can spare the $10,000 I'm going to get one (maybe by the time I'm 50 lol). Besides the cosmetic/aesthetics (which I can deal with), I want to be able to feed my baby.

Btw- Emily lost 12% of her weight by day 3 and so we started supplementing then. I decided not to get all upset about it this time- my supply is obviously an issue, so I'm going to feed her as much as I can, but I'm not going to allow a starving- unhappy baby to go on while I pander to my own need to fully breastfeed. Formula it is.

So, I feel like I have answers now, that it's not normal. I don't think I have PCOS- I have none of the other symptoms. Why didn't I get boobs? *Sigh*

If you got to the end of that, you're patient..lol. Any advice? Anyone been through it before? Thanks!

Has anyone suggested Motilium to you? I have a history of low supply and I'm able to exclusively breast feed my ds2 with the help of Motilium. My ob prescribed it for me initially but now I just get it from my gp.
Might be worth trying.
I would be calling your mw and asking her for a prescription for motilium or something to help boost your supply. As for PCOS, I have been diagnosed with it. Other than a bit of extra hair growth & VERY painful periods, I don't have any other symptoms - I even have regular periods which the doc says is very rare. I conceived quickly with DD but I did have quite a bit of issue with supply when she was born. As for breasts, like you, I have one bigger than the other and one produced more milk than the other. In the end, I was only feeding off the one side. Anyway, don't know if that info helps or not but I would be going to see a different Gp or your mw.

www.facebook.com/LeReveWithSally

I'd stop the abm personally. Just decrease each bottle by a little each day and try to increase the time you're breastfeeding, even if you have to feed 2hrly for a bit. Also as pp mentioned ask for a script for motillium. Small breasts don't necessarily mean less milk. People do seem to assume that big breast = lots of milk and the reverse for small. Perhaps speak to the ABA, they'll probably have better info and support than the dr or midwife by the sound of it. I'd also stop weighing your babe too. Don't let the numbers on a scale undermine your hard work. It's more important to monitor wet and dirty nappies and how your dd seems to you IMO.
Ruby- The main idea with the formula was to up her weight so we'd stop having the midwives every day weighing her. We had no choice. She was weighed until she showed a pattern of putting on weight. We've been discharged from the hospital/ midwife outreach service now so no more weigh ins til 6 weeks. I completely agree with you on stressing about weight impacting.
I'm not saying I can't fully breastfeed because I have small ones, I'm saying I can't produce enough milk because I don't have the breast tissue. I don't have milk ducts all the way around like a properly developed breast. I know that supply=demand, but when the pieces aren't there it doesn't work.

With DD1 I was prescribed Domperidone which had little/no effect. But might try it again soon. Will discuss with DDs doctor at the 6 week check. It can't hurt! Thanks guys

Squidlet wrote
With DD1 I was prescribed Domperidone which had little/no effect. But might try it again soon. Will discuss with DDs doctor at the 6 week check. It can't hurt! Thanks guys

How long were you on it for? It can take up to a week to see a difference. Everyone reacts differently though, I personally saw a difference within 24 hours.
It was about a month before I gradually stopped/forgot to take it- if I don't have more of an increase of supply in the next couple of weeks I definitely will discuss with the GP.

Anyone heard of Bangun Bangun leaves? Know if they're available in Australia? was doing a little bit of research and they're supposed to increase supply by about 60% rather than fenugreek at 20%..worth a try :/

Hey Squidlet,
I am in the same with limited milk supply, My DD is 3 weeks old and i have just started Motilium, I have been eating cookies filled with brewers yeast, oats, taking the fenugreek tablets and drinking nursing tea (which doesn't taste very nice).

I have not heard of Bangun Bangun leaves but i am going to ask my lactation consultant tomorrow and also ask at my local health food shop, Ill try/eat anything to get my supply up.

Hope your supply increases!

[quote post="3330966" name="Squidlet"][b]Squidlet wrote[/b]:
The hospital on discharge said I needed to make a 2 week follow up appt with my doctor. It was yesterday. Saw a different doctor (I don't really have a set one, I just go to whoever is available at that surgery). I asked him about what the midwife suggested (mw & I discussed at length) about PCOS, because I'm having issues breastfeeding.

DD is having about 4x60mL bottles (formula) a day & breastfed as much as possible to boost supply. I'm on fenugreek, oats, brewers yeast, no caffeine (basically doing everything I can dietary wise to increase my supply). I'm also expressing & bought the medela swing. I can express probably 3mL if I sit there for a half hour on each boob.

The mw said that I have underdeveloped breasts. She's right too. I can feel full breast tissue on the outside of each boob, but otherwise they're empty. The left one is bigger than the right and works better. They still get full, they leak if DD doesn't feed at least 3 hourly, but they don't hold much milk.

Getting back to the doctor.. as MIL likes to call 'McDreamy'.. I tried to tell him I've got issues BF, that I can't produce enough milk- that I had the exact same issues with DD1. He basically sat there and said supply=demand, to just feed more often. Like, I have a non issue, next topic, move on. He was all caring & stuff, but didn't acknowledge that there is an actual problem and refused to delve any deeper. It's like he was looking for me to be depressed about it, rather than helping me overcome the real issue. I honestly do want a boob job, it's a sore point for me, and as soon as we can spare the $10,000 I'm going to get one (maybe by the time I'm 50 lol). Besides the cosmetic/aesthetics (which I can deal with), I want to be able to feed my baby.

Btw- Emily lost 12% of her weight by day 3 and so we started supplementing then. I decided not to get all upset about it this time- my supply is obviously an issue, so I'm going to feed her as much as I can, but I'm not going to allow a starving- unhappy baby to go on while I pander to my own need to fully breastfeed. Formula it is.

So, I feel like I have answers now, that it's not normal. I don't think I have PCOS- I have none of the other symptoms. Why didn't I get boobs? *Sigh*

If you got to the end of that, you're patient..lol. Any advice? Anyone been through it before? Thanks![/
quote]

If i wa you id go back and ask for motilium.

Honestly, i was the same as you topping up, pumping like mad, using supplements and so on. Once i got motilium things picked up very very quickly!

Now bub is exclusively Bf. He has recently refused bottle too. So Im going to try ebm but looks like its nipple or nothing. Lol

And u know if you point out to a man that all the uni training in the world can't erase the fact they have no idea what its like to bf or bf while looking after another child. They tend to give u what you want. In my experience anyway. Lol.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Squid I really think you would benefit from a private lactation consultant rather than going back and forth between MW and doctor who may or may not have sufficient knowledge in more complex breastfeeding issues. Find someone decent who can work on a plan with you to steadily increase your supply and decrease formula without causing weight gain problems in Emily.

Sometimes women have a small breast capacity but are still able to fully breastfeed. What I mean by that is some women will need to feed the baby more frequently so they get the same volume of milk. Does not mean the supply is bad, just that feeds need to be done more often. I have PCOS and small breasts and this was me - I had to feed 2nd hourly until about 4 months in and even at 6 months was feeding 5 - 8 times a day. It was tiring but I didn't mind because I enjoyed it

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Squidlet wrote:
Ruby- The main idea with the formula was to up her weight so we'd stop having the midwives every day weighing her. We had no choice. She was weighed until she showed a pattern of putting on weight. We've been discharged from the hospital/ midwife outreach service now so no more weigh ins til 6 weeks. I completely agree with you on stressing about weight impacting.

Was she born prem? Was there a specific reason they were concerned about her weight early on? With dd after the initial weight was done following her birth I declined any further requests to have her weighed, you always have a choice smile
Skubala wrote:
Squid I really think you would benefit from a private lactation consultant rather than going back and forth between MW and doctor who may or may not have sufficient knowledge in more complex breastfeeding issues. Find someone decent who can work on a plan with you to steadily increase your supply and decrease formula without causing weight gain problems in Emily.

Sometimes women have a small breast capacity but are still able to fully breastfeed. What I mean by that is some women will need to feed the baby more frequently so they get the same volume of milk. Does not mean the supply is bad, just that feeds need to be done more often. I have PCOS and small breasts and this was me - I had to feed 2nd hourly until about 4 months in and even at 6 months was feeding 5 - 8 times a day. It was tiring but I didn't mind because I enjoyed it

I didn't know pcos impacted on bf? How?
I have pcos, average size boobies and had bf problems. Ds is still feeding 2 hourly and nearly 4 months. Sometimes he goes longer or just has s small feed. But 95% of the time has both boobs and if its time for sleep usually has both sides more than once.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Sign in to follow this topic