Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Bottle feeding.... Rss

I just started FF my little man, and he isn't drinking as much as the tin says a baby his age should. I know it's only a guideline, and I'm not too worried, I'm just curious as to how much your babies had at his age.
He is 5months old, and he has 4 bottles a day, but never finishes them. I think he probably drinks about 500-600ml a day... He has 150ml first thing, 150ml after his morning nap, 180ml after afternoon nap, 80-100ml before bed. He also has baby rice breakfast and dinner...
He is growing, so I'm not worried, mostly would just like to know what your babies had at this age...

My dd was the same smile rarely, if ever, finished a bottle or went with the guideline amounts. She was fine, always healthy and grew well. She didn't start solids til around 6-7 months and didn't actually like it until more like 9 months so that milk was all she had and she was fine smile
He is bigger than DD was at the same age, so I'm not worried about his size. I just find it interesting that the tins have this recommended amount they 'should' be drinking, and nobody I know ever fed their kids that much...
I wasn't going to start solids till 6months but I was fb and struggling with supply and the poor kid was hungry all the time. He went from feeding 3x a night to sleeping through after a plate of baby rice. And he loooves it, DD never liked the stuff but he does, so I figure it can't hurt him. Still want to try kinda-BLW when he hits 6months...

Cuddles for Me wrote:
He is bigger than DD was at the same age, so I'm not worried about his size. I just find it interesting that the tins have this recommended amount they 'should' be drinking, and nobody I know ever fed their kids that much...
I wasn't going to start solids till 6months but I was fb and struggling with supply and the poor kid was hungry all the time. He went from feeding 3x a night to sleeping through after a plate of baby rice. And he loooves it, DD never liked the stuff but he does, so I figure it can't hurt him. Still want to try kinda-BLW when he hits 6months...

Absolutely! If he was hungry and the baby rice filled him and he was obviously satisfied if he was sleeping through, then it was definitely the right choice for him I reckon. I wish my dd would have gone for Solids earlier then she did. 9 months old and still now wanting to eat?!! Stubborn child smile now she's nearly 2 and I can't fill her! We did BLW and purees, she didn't love either :\
Raspberry Sundae wrote:
I was given a calculation by the SCBU paed for DS1 so I went by that for all three of my kids and they drank that almost exactly to the ml! There might have been a skim left on the bottom of each bottle.

Because it was pretty exact we would make it in a big jug and pour it out from there so as not to waste any by making it bottle by bottle.

What kind of calculation? I'm getting there with DS, we are kinda both learning how to tell when he has had enough and when he is too distracted to eat. We will get there though... And if he has a large amount left and it hasn't been reheated, I put it in the fridge and use for his baby rice. Guess if you calculate what goes down the drain though, it's probably close to 50ml(1 scoop) a day, but I guess that's life....

*misskel* wrote:
Absolutely! If he was hungry and the baby rice filled him and he was obviously satisfied if he was sleeping through, then it was definitely the right choice for him I reckon. I wish my dd would have gone for Solids earlier then she did. 9 months old and still now wanting to eat?!! Stubborn child smile now she's nearly 2 and I can't fill her! We did BLW and purees, she didn't love either :\

DD didn't like BLW, and she still won't touch cooked vegies etc. she will happily eat them raw though. She did eat some purees, but she was (and is) super fussy. Hopefully DS is different! And I'm so glad carrots are cheap as she eats them straight out the bag smile I read somewhere that you shouldn't feed a child raw carrots till they are 4 as it's a choking hazard. Well, carrots and cucumber are her staple vegie diet, dunno what I would feed her without them!

According to that calculation DS should be having 260ml per bottle! Even if he had one feed during the night he wouldn't drink that much... And I was saying that was quite a bit, if I discard the equivalent of one scoop per day that's equal to one bottle every four days. It doesn't sound like much, but I bet it would equal close to a full tin in a year! Ah well, guess that's what happens...

Haha, maybe I am and I'm starving my child tongue

He is on solids, but I make sure to feed him his solids after a bottle. He was 6.5kg two weeks ago... I'm not worried, cos I know kids all eat different amounts, it's just funny that the formula worked for all three of you our little cuties and not DS... And it could still be the solids I guess, cos without the solids he would probably have an extra bottle at night...

Raspberry Sundae wrote:
My boys were getting for a year old by that weight so that explains it smile

Anyway glad you got the bottle sorted out because I know that wasn't going so well for bit

Thanks smile it took a couple days both me and DH being sick, next to no milk for me to decide that was it. I kinda regret stopping altogether, wish I could have mix fed, but oh well...

we are ff and DD has 4 x 200ml bottles and one of 100ml overnight and 2 solid feeds a day she is 8.62kg though and is on special formula

Sign in to follow this topic