Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. Advice for feeding 7 month old vegetables

Advice for feeding 7 month old vegetables Rss

I know it's early days but am hoping to try and nip this problem I'm having in the bud if possible asap.

Bit of background. I have a 6 year old boy who from day 1 would not eat vegies. I did everything - pureed, mashed, tomato sauce, honey, roasting, steaming, hiding, - you name it - we tried it. And.... to this day, he still doesn't eat vegies. I don't try anymore. He's always offered it on his plate in some form but it's never eaten.

Now I have a 7 month old baby boy. I was in heaven at first because he LOVED pumpkin, carrot, & sweet potato. I then tried him on green beans, peas, broccoli and Zucchini - which he hated. When it got in his mouth he gagged and stuck out his tongue until it all came out - then sealed up those lips.

Now... he won't even eat his pumpkin, carrot or sweet potato or potato. Except - frozen pumpkin in a net!!! I get one or two spoons in and that's it. I've also tried pureed chicken - nope to that too.

He loves his rice cereal and fruit and yoghurt.

What do I do? I am EXTREMELY anxious about it because I don't want to go through this again - like I did with my 6 year old - was a nightmare.

I've asked community nurses and they weren't much help. Telling me it takes up to 10 times to accept a new taste. They said that with my first son and he never took to it.

I know I shouldn't force him to eat the vegies - so what do I do when those lips are clamped shut? sad It's really stressing me out. (I've tried mixing vegies with apple or pear - works for a few mouthfuls then he shuts up shop).

Thanks for any advice.
I would suggest stopping any fruits or yoghurt etc and only offering vegies. A lot of the time bubs will stop eating veg once fruit is introduced because it is so much sweeter so they don't like savoury bland food anymore.

I'd probably give chunks of food a go and try with baby led weaning.

Forever, for always and no matter what

Thanks Tickled*pink. I did try that but it's not for me!! I'm anxious enough as it is LOL - I'm afraid of him choking. I did try some steamed broccoli - he gave it a go but didn't really eat any of it (mouthed it a bit) but he ended up throwing it on the floor. I tried some whole banana - which he liked holding and putting in his mouth - he bit a big chunk. My heart went through my mouth. I held my breath as he sat there staring at me - not chewing. Eventually I think he tried to swallow it but he coughed it out and I threw it away. Was too stressful lol. Thanks for the advice though.
Tutu&Lulu wrote:
I would suggest stopping any fruits or yoghurt etc and only offering vegies. A lot of the time bubs will stop eating veg once fruit is introduced because it is so much sweeter so they don't like savoury bland food anymore.

I'd probably give chunks of food a go and try with baby led weaning.

Yeah, I think that's exactly what's happened. Do you think if I stop the fruit and yoghurt he will eventually take to it??? I really hope so!

See prev reply about my baby led weaning attempt. I'm too much of a stresshead for it. Thanks for replying smile I might try what you suggested about stopping the fruit for a bit.
HappyHead wrote:
Hi

I have two kids, one would eat anything and everything, the other super fussy SO dont expect the worst, especially at only 7 months. Its all hit and miss at this point, what they like one day they wont the next. Just keep offering different things and possibly introduce as finger food rather than mashed or pureed.

Zuchinni is particularly bitter so not suprised he didnt like it smile Beans and broccoli are pretty bland.

I never pureed meat, just seemed wrong. Have you tried a baby bolognaise? I made one using premium beef mince, really finely diced onion, a touch of garlic - sautee those in a dab of butter and break up the mince as you go with a spatula so it is a fairly fine but lumpy consistency and then add a tin of tomato puree and simmer a while. You can then mix with cooked risoni pasta and put on a little grated cheese.

With the chicken, try offering pieces of tender roast chicken. A vegie omelette... finely diced onion, sautee along with grated carrot and zuchinni then pour in two beaten eggs, cook on low heat putting a bit of grated cheese over the top, cool and cut into little squares.

Even without teeth they can chew, the gums are very efficient.

Thanks Happy Head. I'll try the bolognaise. As for Baby Led weaning, I'm so afraid of choking.... the banana really scared me. But will give it another go. The omelette would be easy for him to get down as well. Yum recipes. You've got me all inspired again. Will give it another go.
I know what you mean BLW is a bit scary but I did it with DD2 and while i hovered like a maniac ready to pull her out of her chair and get what ever it was out of her mouth she never once choked on food. A few times she gagged but that is really just them testing their limits and seeing what they can and can't do. Fair enough if you don't want to give it another shot but it really is great. We didn't do banana for ages because its quite sticky and a texture that you can't just swallow easily. What i used to do was steam sweet potato to the point where it was almost falling apart and put it on DD's tray for the first few weeks she just squished it in and played with it but eventually she started to squish it up and put some in her mouth. There was no risk of choking it was as mashed up as if i was spoon feeding her but she was doing it herself no pressure to eat anything and she was enjoying it throughly. then we progressed to pumpkin zucchini really really soft carrot etc. She controlled what she ate and how much and she also worked out exactly how to chew the food and when to swallow etc.

I think if you take away all sweet foods he may just get used to the savoury but i can't tell you for sure as i've not been through it. We didn't offer sweet foods until after about 9 or 10 months

Forever, for always and no matter what

Tutu&Lulu wrote:
I know what you mean BLW is a bit scary but I did it with DD2 and while i hovered like a maniac ready to pull her out of her chair and get what ever it was out of her mouth she never once choked on food. A few times she gagged but that is really just them testing their limits and seeing what they can and can't do. Fair enough if you don't want to give it another shot but it really is great. We didn't do banana for ages because its quite sticky and a texture that you can't just swallow easily. What i used to do was steam sweet potato to the point where it was almost falling apart and put it on DD's tray for the first few weeks she just squished it in and played with it but eventually she started to squish it up and put some in her mouth. There was no risk of choking it was as mashed up as if i was spoon feeding her but she was doing it herself no pressure to eat anything and she was enjoying it throughly. then we progressed to pumpkin zucchini really really soft carrot etc. She controlled what she ate and how much and she also worked out exactly how to chew the food and when to swallow etc.

I think if you take away all sweet foods he may just get used to the savoury but i can't tell you for sure as i've not been through it. We didn't offer sweet foods until after about 9 or 10 months

Ok .... I'll give it another go - and do it like you did. I get mixed responses about the nutrition side of things for his age. Some things I've read says that the first year is just them getting used to taste and texture and they still get all their nutrients from their milk. Others say no, the nutrients from breastfeeding alone aren't enough. I'm still breastfeeding him. If I give him only rice cereal and vegies only, will he be ok as far as nutrition goes? If he doesn't eat it? What about constipation? Thanks again smile
I am not being rude at all when I say this..but I think the issue is more your anxiety and stress then your bub eating. He is only 7 months old and there is plenty of time. There has been a lot of great advice in regards to suggestions to give him.

I think its really important for you to work on yourself though. Your baby sounds normal. Lots of kids aren't ready to eat at 7 months old. Lots of kids aren't interested in puree and even though BLW stresses you out, it doesn't mean its not safe or that your baby wouldn't benefit. BLW is about letting your kid learn how to eat - which is the whole idea of solids.

When a parent is stressed about solids/food/dinner then a kid is stressed about it too. Your anxiety could very well be causing the thing you are trying to prevent. You really really need to relax and let meal times be pleasurable. Would you be relaxed if someone was sitting there anxiously watching everything you eat? Of course not! Would you want to eat something you had never seen, smelled, tasted touched before? Think of this in a restaurant situation. There is a bowl of brown sludge on the table, you know nothing about it. You are unable to pick it up to look at it. You are unable to smell it. Suddenly someone you know says eat it. You are unsure, but you are unable to do any of the things you instinctually want to do such as touch it and smell it to see what it is. "eat it, eat it." The pressure is on. Your heart rate rises as you aren't sure, but the person is adamant. They hold a spoon next to your mouth and try and convince you to open it. Eventually you do. You don't recognise the taste at all. You don't particularly like it. The texture is weird. Suddenly the person is praising you and you are meant to do it all over again, but you don't really want to. You feel stressed, you feel pressured and it takes all the fun out of the meal.

Can you see where I am going with this....lol

You need to relaaaaaaaaaaax.
constipation is either too much solids too soon, or too much rice cereal. You are better off preventing it rather then fixing it. If the poos start looking like they are more solid, then cut it back a little. Don't wait until they are constipated and don't offer too much at once.
I'm struugling with this too smile seems to be a universal problem wink.

I don't 'feed' ds veggies coz he hates them lol I hide them in his food I make him meatballs and grate carrot and brocolli and cauliflower in them.

If I make mac and cheese I puree cauliflower and swedes and parsnips and add them to the cheese sauce
I make veggie bakes and crustless quiches and put in mushrooms,spinach,carrtots,mixed veggies.

that way hes getting all the goodness and fussy man doesn't even know.
I think blw is great but never worked with ds and veggies would just thorw them on the floor time and time again.

ZachnLeonsMum wrote:
I know it's early days but am hoping to try and nip this problem I'm having in the bud if possible asap.

Bit of background. I have a 6 year old boy who from day 1 would not eat vegies. I did everything - pureed, mashed, tomato sauce, honey, roasting, steaming, hiding, - you name it - we tried it. And.... to this day, he still doesn't eat vegies. I don't try anymore. He's always offered it on his plate in some form but it's never eaten.

Now I have a 7 month old baby boy. I was in heaven at first because he LOVED pumpkin, carrot, & sweet potato. I then tried him on green beans, peas, broccoli and Zucchini - which he hated. When it got in his mouth he gagged and stuck out his tongue until it all came out - then sealed up those lips.

Now... he won't even eat his pumpkin, carrot or sweet potato or potato. Except - frozen pumpkin in a net!!! I get one or two spoons in and that's it. I've also tried pureed chicken - nope to that too.

He loves his rice cereal and fruit and yoghurt.

What do I do? I am EXTREMELY anxious about it because I don't want to go through this again - like I did with my 6 year old - was a nightmare.

I've asked community nurses and they weren't much help. Telling me it takes up to 10 times to accept a new taste. They said that with my first son and he never took to it.

I know I shouldn't force him to eat the vegies - so what do I do when those lips are clamped shut? sad It's really stressing me out. (I've tried mixing vegies with apple or pear - works for a few mouthfuls then he shuts up shop).

Thanks for any advice.

Firstly, the more anxious and pressurizing you are the less likely you will make head way. So take a deep breath and let it flow out of you before you start feeding him

With dd right from the start I offered first savory then sweet so she would eat her vege (or later meat and vege) then be given her fruit or small amour of egg custard.
If I had trouble getting her to eat vege id put a dollop in one end of the bowl of her fave fruit then mix it through to half way so one end was fruit the other vege. This way as she ate. This way from fruit to vege without realising.
When she had done that a couple times I just gave her the vegetable and had no problem.

Dd eats most vege without issue now.

Good luck.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I think everyone has covered my thoughts on the anxiety.

Broccoli is supposed to taste bitter to babies too isn't it? I stay away from broccoli and beans, but I do put zucchini in things and my bub eats that.

The trick to starting solids is NOT to try everything in the book. Go back to your basic veg that he liked in the beginning. Variety is not the spice of life for babies! They like things to be consistent, and that applies to food as well.

When you want to introduce a new food, add ONE thing to his usual food so that it doesn't alter the taste too much, and give him the same thing for a week. Then try another food, etc.

Good luck.

Sign in to follow this topic