Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

When to start solids? Rss

Hi everyone,

I'm just wanting to get some advice when to start my little boy on solids i have people saying 4 months and then i have others telling me 6 months and no later than 6 months. It's all quite confusing.

So just wondering when did you start your little ones on solids?

Hi everyone,

I'm just wanting to get some advice when to start my little boy on solids i have people saying 4 months and then i have others telling me 6 months and no later than 6 months. It's all quite confusing.

Hello kales mummy.
Every one has there opinion on starting solids or anything regarding babies for that matter. Every child different. My son started about 4, 1/2 months.

He didn't take to it straight away so tried closer to 6months
Community nurse will most like tell you 6months.
My little girl was pretty much ready by 3 months so I waited until she was 2 weeks off being 4 months (knowing I wasn’t meant to) They will let you know when they are ready (looking at your food, very interested in what you are doing, Following the spoon/fork to your mouth and my little girl started to make chewing movements while I was eating.) My friends midwife said to keep offering regularly after 6 months and it is a must by 8 months.
I started both of mine when they were just over 4mths old. They were both very interested in watching me eat and would make the mouth movements. my youngest i tried at 4mths but he wasn't quite ready, i waited 2 weeks and tried again with a bit of apple and pear mixed with his formula and he was fine. both of my boys HATE farax or anything similar but i still gave it a go, could have been why he didn't take to it the first time, lol. The "powers that be" always change their minds about what is better, 4mths or 6mths, but just see how your little one goes, if they are showing the signs, then give it a try, see how they go, if it doesn't work, just try again in a week or so.
Good Luck!

My ds is 5 months, and I have made the decision not to give him solids until he is 6 months. Their digestive systems are not ready until then.

Also, just because they follow your fork etc does not mean they are ready. If that was the case I wouldve been feeding my son at like 2-3 months! Once their extrusion reflex I think it's called has gone, then you can feed them. That's when you put something in their mouth and they push it out with their tongue.

My ds follows food, drinks, everything. Tries to grab at everything. Even leans forward to me to try get whatever I've got. He will even do it to toys etc. But when I put it in his mouth he still has that reflex. It is not as bad now, so he will be ready for food very soon.

In saying that though, he does have rusk sticks, and I have put chunks of apple, watermelon, mango and nectarine to his mouth, and after initially pushing it out he does end up sucking on it.
I do hate it when alot of mums start before 4 months reguardless of how you think they are ready, they are not until at least 4 months. Babies copy chewing and star at your food because they are interested in what you are doing.My baby did all this and grabbed my food out of my hand but she jst thought it was a toy(was a rice cracker) she wasnt ready until 5 1/2 months i did try it t 4 and 1/2 months because i wasnt sure. but i could tell by the way she was eating she was'nt ready.Now she opens her mouth and looks like shes enjoying it.They have to lose the tonge reflex thing when you push on the bottom of their lip and if they poke their tounge out they are not ready.
just realised what i said was pretty much the same as the person before me.
Thanks guys was good seeing how everyone else has gone about doing solids! and some good advice. Thanks!! smile

Hi everyone,

My son has the same name spelling and alL!

I started my two at different times, kale was 4 months then I stopped and started again at 5.5 months and my second was round then too. You will know, he will give you lots of signs.
I have visited clinics to get help with both my boys and the recommendations are to begin at 6months still but its just a date it doesnt have to be exactly then. Also they recommend not givng purees at all just lots of finger foods and lumpy soft food, which I found surprising but it makes sense they have to learn to eat that anyway.

Good luck with it all!

My ds is 5 months, and I have made the decision not to give him solids until he is 6 months. Their digestive systems are not ready until then.

Also, just because they follow your fork etc does not mean they are ready. If that was the case I wouldve been feeding my son at like 2-3 months! Once their extrusion reflex I think it's called has gone, then you can feed them. That's when you put something in their mouth and they push it out with their tongue.

Exactly, it is normal behaviour to be curious what we are doing, that would be like saying if you had a cigarette in front of them (not that you should) and they reached for it you would give it to them....
Or if your hubby was drinking a stubby and they reach out, the first thing they would do is try and suck on the top, at this age everything goes in the mouth.
Do you get the general idea, reaching for food does not mean they are ready to eat, digestive systems really cannot handle food before 6mths.
Put it this way you won't harm your babies internal organs by waiting, but you might by starting too early....
DS1 at 4 months...because those were the recommendations at the time and I didn't know any different.

DS2 was 7.5 months...wouldn't touch them before then.

I personally would never start a baby of mine on solids before 6 months and/or if they still had the tongue extrusion reflex.

Sign in to follow this topic