Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Weaning onto Cows Milk Rss

Hi Everyone, I am just after some advice on what to do with my nearly 1 year old DD. For over a week now we have been mixing her bottles half cows milk and half water or formula. She was fine for the first 4 days but has had the runs ever since. She has been having yogurt, cheese and milk on cereal since about 9 months and has had no problem.

She also has 2 top teeth cutting through and goes to daycare 2 days a week and there has been a nasty tummy bug going around. She doesnt seem unwell and is not vomiting.

So my question is should I cut back on the cows milk and see if her tummy settles and how did other go about weaning onto cows milk.

She has 3 bottles a day and was hoping to make the 2 daytime bottles cows milk and the night time 1 formula just until the end of winter.

Any advice would be great

Thanks smile

Hi Everyone, I am just after some advice on what to do with my nearly 1 year old DD. For over a week now we have been mixing her bottles half cows milk and half water or formula. She was fine for the first 4 days but has had the runs ever since. She has been having yogurt, cheese and milk on cereal since about 9 months and has had no problem.

She also has 2 top teeth cutting through and goes to daycare 2 days a week and there has been a nasty tummy bug going around. She doesnt seem unwell and is not vomiting.

So my question is should I cut back on the cows milk and see if her tummy settles and how did other go about weaning onto cows milk.

She has 3 bottles a day and was hoping to make the 2 daytime bottles cows milk and the night time 1 formula just until the end of winter.

Any advice would be great

Thanks smile

Its tricky because your bub can get runny poos when cutting teeth - and with the gastro happening at daycare that could be another contender, it may not be the cows milk causing the runs. My kids have had gastro a few times with no vomitting, just the runs and then everything they eat or drink goes straight through them.

Perhaps you could try just giving her formula for the next week and see how that goes and when her poops are back to normal then re-introduce the cows milk slowly. I'd give 100mls a day for a week and let her adjust to it, then you can increase it... because the different milk will affect their stools.

I never mixed half formula or half water and half cows milk or boiled it, just gave a smaller amount to begin with and gradually increased it.
I have not put my two boys in daycare because of the amount of bugs going around. The childcare you use with hundreds of children in one centre means hundreds of bugs whereas small groups of 4 children in homebased care reduces the risk. Homebased are out and about as well so get more fresh air whereas daycare centres keep them inside wheucator in Cambridge with PORSE. Sickness in children in homebased is very minimal compared to daycare.
Sign in to follow this topic