Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Need some help please

Need some help please Rss

So this seems to be the age to start acting up for these little munchikins!

I have a 5.5 month ds, and before he started rolling I was still wrapping him and he was the best self settler. NOW he is just putrid! He is rolling, no longer been wrapped and self settling? What self settling? I can't just put him the cot like I used to because he can only roll back to frOnt and then gets stuck and cracks the sh!ts, so I generally have to put him on my bed and lie with him patting sshhing and that can take up to an hour and a half to get him to sleep and probably 7/10 I end up having to give him boobie to go to sleep. I have noticed though he now sleeps on his tummy and he does sleep longer. He was having 5 x 45 min naps during the day, now he is having 2-3. Generally morning and arvo its a 45-60 minute nap and about a 2hr nap in the middle of the day.

And thats just day time!!

Night time he frigen worse than when he was newborn! He was going to bed 7-7:15pm and would sleep through till about 1-3 and then about 5-6ish. NOW he will not go to sleep before 8-8:30. And then he wakes up about an hour later just screaming and I usually can't settle him again unless I give boob, when he eventually goes back to sleep (about half hour later) he will wake about 1 then 4-5 and then about 7ish.

I have been thinking the last few days that he might need some more food? As I am only BFing at the moment. I don't want to give him anything before 6 months, which really isn't that far away.

Tonight he was still awake at 8:45, got him to sleep, not even half hour, fed him eventually got him to sleep after much fighting, I was just sitting on the couch with him for about 45 mins just tried to put him to bed, he tossed and turned and he is frigen wide awake now!!! I have just put some bonjela again, and now I know I will have to give him boob to get him asleep again.

This is just so frustrating. I'm not sure what I should do? Can somebody please help with something to do, or at least just tell me what's going on with him so I can understand.

Sorry for the novel!

Thanks smile
Have u tried putting him in a sleeping bag so he can't roll over? I know its hot, but I think that you can buy thin ones for the summer months.

Other then that, I have no idea! Its been so long since my dd was that age. I do know that my dd would go through stages of good sleeping and then be a bit of a rat-bag, then back to good. Even at 4yrs old she can still act up.

All I can suggest is keep consistent with what you are doing, and hopefully he will soon go to sleep for you. Good Luck!
Seems once they start rolling the nightmare begins! I slept DD in a sleeping bag while i was away last week and she slept like a gem, since we have been home in this heat wave, shes been sleeping in a long light tee cos its so hot at night and she has been a nightmare.

Once this heat vacates i might try the sleeping bag again, once she rolls and gets comfy its ok, its just when she decides to be a seal i end up getting the screams to roll her or laughter, cos the cheeky monkey can see me.
You are not alone. This is exactly what is happening with my 6 month old. I used to be able to put him in bed awake and he'd go off to sleep no worries. He has never been a great sleeper, waking about twice a night but now he wakes about 5 times a night. I can't resettle him in his cot (I used to be able to do this no worries). The only way I can resettle him is to pick him up and rock him or feed him and I'm afraid of developing bad habits. When I put him to bed now, he cries and cries, I try to calm him and he still cries and takes at least half hour before he falls asleep. He too has just started rolling about the cot and is in an Ergo Cocoon (a zip up wrap but with his arms out, so like a sleeping bag). I'm thinking that this is just a phase he's going through but it's been going on for about a week now and doesn't seem to be improving.
I wanted to add that he is also eating solids twice a day and this doesn't seem to help at all. I would be interested on hearing other stories like this or any other advice.

Have u tried putting him in a sleeping bag so he can't roll over? I know its hot, but I think that you can buy thin ones for the summer months.

Other then that, I have no idea! Its been so long since my dd was that age. I do know that my dd would go through stages of good sleeping and then be a bit of a rat-bag, then back to good. Even at 4yrs old she can still act up.

All I can suggest is keep consistent with what you are doing, and hopefully he will soon go to sleep for you. Good Luck!

No I don't have a sleeping bag. I have actually been thinking about getting one. I didn't realize that it stops them from rolling? Obviously I would only use it at night time, as he seems to be ok during the day. Well I can deal with the hiccups during the day. But he seems to sleep better on his belly, during the day anyways.

Seems once they start rolling the nightmare begins! I slept DD in a sleeping bag while i was away last week and she slept like a gem, since we have been home in this heat wave, shes been sleeping in a long light tee cos its so hot at night and she has been a nightmare.

Once this heat vacates i might try the sleeping bag again, once she rolls and gets comfy its ok, its just when she decides to be a seal i end up getting the screams to roll her or laughter, cos the cheeky monkey can see me.

Well he was still kinda ok when he first started, and I was still wrapping him then also. But because he was still a bit unco it was still fine, but now he is pro at rolling, I can't wrap him and he just won't lie there! This is the 2nd week this draMa has been going on for now.

at 5 months they change their sleeping pattern, I've heard it also happens again majorly at 10months (but we never had that problem).
you could look at getting a safe t sleep or somnething similar to stop rolling, but I found if I just left him to sleep on his tummy he would be fine.
Also because your DS has just started rolling he will be waking more because he wants to practice.
When our DS went through this we ruled out anything else - wind, hunger, pain etc then tried CC - not everyone's choice but worked for us.
however it took us a month or so of me rocking before we decided to try CC.
you could look at www.thesleepstore.co.nz for different settling techniques you could try, also make sure you've got a consistant bed time routine.
day naps we had - shut curtains, nappy change, grab cuddlies, put in sleeping bag. Night time we had bath, bottle, story, bed.
good luck.

I think if I got something to stop him rolling he would gets the sh!ts even more! Lol his been rolling for almost a month and a half now, you'd think his had enough practice! But I do understand that.

I will have a look at that website, but I don't think I will go down the path of cc. I did have a very strict bedtime routine when he was newborn, but it has been some what relaxed overtime. Not dramatically though, I used to bath him at 6:30 on the dot, now it is between 6:30-7. Apart from the last 2 weeks that this has been happening, I would bath and then I would feed and e would hardly be able to stay awake. Even after having a sleep at 5 till about 5:30-5:45. Now I'm lucky to get him to sleep at that time so he will be up for like 4-5 hours and still not go to sleep.

You are not alone. This is exactly what is happening with my 6 month old. I used to be able to put him in bed awake and he'd go off to sleep no worries. He has never been a great sleeper, waking about twice a night but now he wakes about 5 times a night. I can't resettle him in his cot (I used to be able to do this no worries). The only way I can resettle him is to pick him up and rock him or feed him and I'm afraid of developing bad habits. When I put him to bed now, he cries and cries, I try to calm him and he still cries and takes at least half hour before he falls asleep. He too has just started rolling about the cot and is in an Ergo Cocoon (a zip up wrap but with his arms out, so like a sleeping bag). I'm thinking that this is just a phase he's going through but it's been going on for about a week now and doesn't seem to be improving.
I wanted to add that he is also eating solids twice a day and this doesn't seem to help at all. I would be interested on hearing other stories like this or any other advice.

I hope it's just a phase! Also I think I am developing bad habits. As when he wake up during the night I just pick him up and feed him back to sleep, I don't actually try and settle him again. I wonder if when I fo start solids it will help? I'm just a bit torn at the moment if I should start now, or wait until 6 months like I have always said I would.
You are only a couple of weeks away from 6 months so you could try solids if you wanted to or it won't take long to reach 6 months if you wanted to wait. I started with baby rice at about 5 months and that seemed to make his sleep worse but for some people it makes the sleeping better.
I hope things improve for you soon.

You are only a couple of weeks away from 6 months so you could try solids if you wanted to or it won't take long to reach 6 months if you wanted to wait. I started with baby rice at about 5 months and that seemed to make his sleep worse but for some people it makes the sleeping better.
I hope things improve for you soon.

Oh my god don't tell me that!! Do you know why it made the sleep worse?

Oh my god don't tell me that!! Do you know why it made the sleep worse?

Sorry, you probably didn't want to know that. Not really sure sure why, It may have just been a coincidence that he started sleeping worse. Or perhaps it was that he was learning a new skill and digesting food. I stopped the rice cereal for a while and then gave it another go. His sleep got worse again but then a lot has been happening, rolling over etc.
Sign in to follow this topic