Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Mothers advice! Lock Rss

Hello! I have a gorgeous 4 week old baby girl and I have started her on the bottle about a week ago as I disliked breastfeeding. Wanted some advice on the dream feed??
I demand feed her and she's feeding about every 3 hours but wanted advice if I feed her and then if I need to go out she will sleep in the car and then when I come home it's only been say an hour or two since her last feed she won't go to sleep should I then just feed her??
The dream feed - do you wake your baby at around 10:00-10:30pm to give them this feed? My girl goes down around 6:30pm-7:00pm and sometimes doesn't then wake till after 12:00 or 1:00am for her next feed and then may sleep till after 6:00am.
Also do any Mum's wake their babies up in the morning at all to start their child on a pattern/routine?
It's all so new and making sure I do the right thing for my baby.
hi Breegirl,

Sounds like the same situation I was in. My dd is nearly 3 months. I tried breast feeding and had to stop. I switched to formula and suddenly she started to sleep longer at night. Formula sits more heavily in the tummy and the 3 hour feeds that breastfed bubs have tends to stretch a little further with the formula. I would wait until she wakes for a demand feed.

DD had the same pattern as your little one, waking around midnight then again around five in the morn. At around 1 1/2 months she dropped the midnight feed which meant that we were getting many hours of uninterrupted night time sleep. Take it as a blessing!! During the dark hours I let her call the shots with feeding. She fell into a fairly predictable routine. Always one big sleep followed by a shorter ( but still a few hours) sleep

During the day, I just fed every 3-4 hours from the moment she woke up. Like I said, she naturally started her own routine.

See how you go, if you feel like she is sleeping too much into the daylight hours you might try waking her. It is really up to you and your baby. We found that with regular feeds during the day ( we even woke her if she started to push the 4 hour mark- even though they say not to!)she slept better in the night.

I just wish my little one would sleep through the day now!!lol.But she blesses us at night sleeping from about 8pm-5am.

Every bub is different and remember- if she is hungry in the night she will tell you!lol
My daughter is 4 weeks old on Wednesday.
We do the dream feed at 10.00pm. Although, she is a little young to actually 'dreamfeed' so we usually change her nappy to wake her up slightly. I think once they are about 6 weeks old it is okay to 'dreamfeed' them proper (not waking at all).
We always wake her at 7.00am to start the day with a feed. That way it helps for her to know the difference between night and day. I will always wake her at 7.00am, even if she last fed at 5.30am (thats a killer though I tell you)! If she wakes up at 6.00am or after then I usually try and stretch her to as close to 7.00am as I can before I feed her.
So, with the dreamfeed (so to speak) she usually wakes again at 2.00ish and then through to about 6.15am. If we did not do the dreamfeed she would wake at about midnight and then again at about 4.00ish. So it certainly helps her and I to get a big block of sleep (although, because of the dreamfeed we dont usually make it to be until 10.30pm or 11.00pm).
We used the exact same process with DD1 and she thrived on it. We always found it to be her best feed as she would be asleep, drink the most, not get windy, not be fussy etc.
Good Luck.

Hello! I have a gorgeous 4 week old baby girl and I have started her on the bottle about a week ago as I disliked breastfeeding. Wanted some advice on the dream feed??
I demand feed her and she's feeding about every 3 hours but wanted advice if I feed her and then if I need to go out she will sleep in the car and then when I come home it's only been say an hour or two since her last feed she won't go to sleep should I then just feed her??
The dream feed - do you wake your baby at around 10:00-10:30pm to give them this feed? My girl goes down around 6:30pm-7:00pm and sometimes doesn't then wake till after 12:00 or 1:00am for her next feed and then may sleep till after 6:00am.
Also do any Mum's wake their babies up in the morning at all to start their child on a pattern/routine?

Thank you for the advice - do you find each week or so with your bottle fed baby that you're needing to increase your formula ml's? Lily this week is only sleeping for 2 - 2 1/2 hours and I wonder if its as she's not completely full or whether its because she has such a HUGE night sleep that she is making up for it having shorter sleeps during the day?
It's hard to say. My DD is WAY off the percentile chart for her height and therefore her weight (big babies run in the family- lucky me LOL) so we spoke to the child health nurse at 3 weeks. She did some fancy calculation and worked out that we could afford to give another 10-20 mls each feed. We definately found that this settled her and right on cue, a week or so before she was due to go up to the next level of formula she got restless again. She was even crying after her feeds for more. She we increased it slowly again. Just a spot- it made all the difference.

I say either speak to a child health nurse or just go up another 10 mls and see what happens.They told me that if she is hungry she will take it. If it is too much she will spit it up or be a little unsettled afterwards ( sort of like when we have a huge meal and feel all bloated). Or if she is full she will play with the teat and try and push it out. My DD sticks her bottom lip out and refuses to open wide!LOL

Do not worry about her gaining too much weight etc. I'm not sure how tall/heavy she is but she may just need that little bit more.

Our DD often leaves the extra mls for some bottles but for others ( like her morning feed) she will take it all.

Hope this helps smile

Thank you for the advice - do you find each week or so with your bottle fed baby that you're needing to increase your formula ml's? Lily this week is only sleeping for 2 - 2 1/2 hours and I wonder if its as she's not completely full or whether its because she has such a HUGE night sleep that she is making up for it having shorter sleeps during the day?
Hi Breegirl smile
Congrats on the arrival of your baby girl!! Very exciting!!
K, these are my thoughts on your questions!!
1) Are you finding it a transfer issue when you go out?? As in, she'll sleep in the car, but won't go back to sleep once you transfer her?? If so, I don't have much advice for you there! LOL Some kids (mine included) just don't transfer at all. I STILL at 20months sometimes have to drive around for an hour just so DS can get his sleep!! Awful, so I try to avoid it at all cost!! However, if you find you can get her back to sleep with a feed, then do that!! Whatever works for you smile

2) The Dream Feed - This never worked for my DS. I found it would just wake him out of his sleep cycles & he'd have trouble getting back into it again. However, the idea is not to wake your bubby, but just gently put the bottle/boob in their mouth without waking them too much & just let them feed slowly. In the case of a bottle, for some babies you don't even need to pick them up!! Most people give the dream feed between 10pm & 11pm before they retire for the night. It can take a few weeks to work, so if you decide to do it, give it some time if you find it's not working before you give it up completely.

3) I do wake DS up in the morning, though 9 times out of 10, he wakes up just before I go in there!! However, I didn't do this until he was in a good routine during the day (around 11months). Guess it depends on how routine orientated you'd like to be. Again, it's whatever works for you!! I find it helps with my body clock more than anything!! LOL

Motherhood is very daunting!! God knows I still struggle some days!! But just remember that even with all the advice in the world, the thing that will work best for you & your little girl is whatever you feel is right for you. What works for some may not work for others. The most important thing, I think, is not to get too involved with the nitty gritty stuff. Just enjoy those moments with your precious baby girl, because it all just goes too fast!! All the best xx

hi there smile i am also bottle feeding - issues with producing milk! my little one is 9 months now smile

Re the fancy formula the nurse had, i use that too! very helpful to know and use, to make sure the little ones are getting roughly the right amount of milk per day
it is:
150g (suggested weight gain per week) x baby's weight, then divide by the number of feed baby has per day
so, if baby weighs 6kg, and has 5 feeds per day: (150 x 6)/ 5 = 150ml milk per day hope this helps

i used to wake my little one for a dream feed(bottle number 5) at about 10-11pm...between 2-3 months...then around 4 months she started to drop the last bottle (at 10pm), but by then she was heavier so i increased her volume to 200ml for the other bottles...

hope this helps! good luck!

when we dreamfed we would get bubs up at 10.30 and give them a full feed and put them back to bed. if your bubs is only getting up once during the night from 7pm to 6-7am, i would not worry about the dream feed.

with ds, he was on a very strict routine as we had alot of sleep issues with him so i would wake him every day at 7am no matter what to start the day. we did this for about a month and then he started to wake up naturally at 7am.

can i just say that there really is no right way. we did this with ds as it was what he needed but i did not do this with dd as she was a pretty good sleeper and did slip loosley into her own routine.
I demand feed at beginning and gradually around 5 months he started to want a bottle less at night so i gradually fed him more during day. He gradually learnt day from night by himself and recognised the same routine at the end of day. Everytime i did something different like go to town of visit family his sleep partern changed i still find it hard to this day to sleep all night at someone elses house oh well.
Sign in to follow this topic