Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 6 month old won't self settle

6 month old won't self settle Rss

Hi Everyone,
Over the past few weeks I have been trying to get my 6 month old son to sleep through the night without a feed and although we have has a few successful nights he is still waking frequently. Most of the time all he wants is for me to help him resettle but I don't want him to get used to it. He has a dummy which I would love to get rid of but I don't know how to..... Has anyone else had to deal with a similar situation or does anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks so much
I have just gone through this recently with my 7 month old DS, he was waking frequently during the night and couldn't resettle himself either. I took the dummy away cold turkey. Started with his first day sleep, settled him by just patting his back and leaving the room intermittently until he finally settled, it can take some time to settle to start with but don't give up. That night he slept through and he is now able to self settle himself. If you want more info or advice you can message me if you like,
Goodluck!
When you say you've been trying to get him to sleep through without a feed, how long is the stretch you are aiming for? 12 hours? I found my son just wasn't ready to give up a feed at 6 months. He was having a feed at 6.30pm, a dreamfeed at 9.30-10 and then lasting til 7am. I have only just given up the dreamfeed in the past week and he is 9 months old! But then my bub is breastfed and I really think there is a difference depending on the milk. I think formula fed babies may be able to last the distance sooner?

Hi there,

Sorry, I dont have any tips - I'm in the same boat and am looking for help too!

My DD is 5.5 months old and she is starting to not want to be wrapped so she is getting her hands out and can't resettle herself. She will wake more often than what was her usual and cry out...its not a real cry, its a sleepy cry and as soon as i put her dummy back in she'll go back to sleep (anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour before we repeat the process). She still has a night feed too...and wakes at 4.30am almost like clockwork!

It's getting really tiring...!

Agree with Jaspers Mum, maybe your bub isnt ready to drop the night feeds yet.

My 7 month old is formula fed and feeds between 6 and 6.30pm, 10.30pm dream feed and wakes around 6-6.30am. If I'm a bit late with the dream feed shes awake and waiting for me smile

I know the books say babies dont need night feeds from 6 months but they are all different, some do need it a bit longer. Better to feed them than be up constantly trying to resettle a hungry baby.
PS My DD doesnt have a dummy and after my experience with my first (who did have one) I think thats part of the reason she sleeps through.

My first would continually wake up and we'd have to replace the dummy.

If you want to get rid of it just take it away and dont give it back - it will be a bit of grief for a few days but worth it.

I'm pro dummy if they want it (first did, second doesnt) but when it comes to night sleeping I think they are better off without one only cause every time it comes out they wake and cry out and you need to go find it for them.
Hi ladies,
My lil boy has been able to sleep 12 hours during the night since he was 3 months. It's not an easy process so you have to be prepared for some crying and protesting for a few days. Ours protested for 3 days and by the 4th, he gave up and went to sleep. I guess it all comes down to routine; he has the same routine every night. Bath, milk feed and sleep. Basically, make sure they go to sleep at the same time every night so they learn how to differentiate between night and day. The key is to not rush to their side every time they cry during the night; give them a few minutes to try to settle themselves. I guess it also comes down to listening to their cries as well whether it's just a protest cry or an emotional one; those ones we don't ignore. Good luck.
N Kitt has your baby gone without night feeds since 12 weeks?
He has a dreamfeed at 10.30pm and that's it. He sleeps right through to 7am since. I dropped the dreamfeed at around 6 months.
My ds dropped his night feed at 3 months old. And slept through the whole night since then. He has a dummy, but he wasnt too fussed when he lost it. He just preferred to suck it to get him off to sleep. But at bout 8 months old when he was cutting his top two teeth, everything went out the window. Going on almost 2 months now my ds wakes constantly throughout the night. He has been sick also with ear infecttions and colds/chest infections. A month ago he woke up and wouldnt go back to sleep for about 5 hours during the night. It was killing my husband and I. We were so used to getting a good nights sleep. The last week has gotten better but his still waking 1-2 a night. We try and let him self settle but when we eventually go into his room he is standing up in his cot.
I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO TEACH HIM TO SLEEP AGAIN..
Oh dear..I really don't know how to help I'm afraid. Mine hasn't learnt how to crawl or stand so we don't have that problem, but he has been waking up during the night between 2-5am. He doesn't cry or anything; just lies there and babble to himself then goes back to sleep. If you've eliminated teething pains, and hunger, maybe he might be cold? I live in Melbourne so the nights are really cold so we rug ds up with a sleeping bag, tuck him in pretty tight and cover him with lots of blankets to ensure he's warm. Maybe try an extra layer such as a sleeping bag to keep him warm during the night. If it's not this then you review his sleep during the day and maybe see if that needs to change. Let me know how you go.
Sign in to follow this topic