Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Survey: Please complete if your bub was sleeping thru by 3 months of age!

Survey: Please complete if your bub was sleeping thru by 3 months of age! Rss

My daughter is 9 months old and has just started to sleep through the night. I have always been mystified (like many parents!) of WHY some babies sleep through the night from an early age and some don't. So I've concocted this survey to try to find some sort of pattern. I've tried to think of any variables that may contribute to early sleeping through.

We need to remember though, that if there's a pattern somewhere, it may not be the answer to all our prayers. eg we could say that eating bread causes car accidents because 95% of people that have a car accident have eaten bread in the last 24 hours! Some things are just a coincidence.

If you have more than one child who was sleeping through regularly by 3 months of age, please complete one survey per child.

For arguments sake, let's say that "sleeping through" means not feeding or needing resettling for eight hours or more, for 5 or more nights a week.

Please copy and paste the following into your reply and then add your answers along side. Once there are a bunch of replies, I'll tally up the results and see what we find out!

Early Sleeping Through Survey

Child's first name:
Boy or girl?:
Age when started to sleep through:
Was this child your first child?:

At the time of starting to sleep through:
Was your child breastfed or bottle fed?
Number of feeds per day?
Was your child sleeping in your bed, a cradle, a bassinette or a cot?
Was your child sleeping in your room, a room with another sibling or in their own room?
Was your child being wrapped for sleep?
Was your child of above average weight, average weight or below average weight?
Was your child being put to sleep in your arms, put to sleep by you in their bed or self settling in their bed?
Was the weather hot, cold or average?
Did you have a regular bedtime routine and what was it?
What sort of sleeper was your child during the day?
Anything else that may have contributed to your child sleeping through?

WA, daughters born May 2005 and June 2007

Child's first name: Catherine
Boy or girl?: Girl
Age when started to sleep through: 6 weeks (before that only got up 1 a night for feed)
Was this child your first child?: Yes
Was your child breastfed or bottle fed? Bottle Feed
Number of feeds per day? 6
Was your child sleeping in your bed, a cradle, a bassinette or a cot? Bassinette then in her cot a few weeks after that.
Was your child sleeping in your room, a room with another sibling or in their own room? In our room
Was your child being wrapped for sleep? Yes
Was your child of above average weight, average weight or below average weight? Average Weight
Was your child being put to sleep in your arms, put to sleep by you in their bed or self settling in their bed? Always self Settling
Was the weather hot, cold or average? Cold
Did you have a regular bedtime routine and what was it? Yes at the time it was 7.30pm
What sort of sleeper was your child during the day? Excellent
Anything else that may have contributed to your child sleeping through?

2 Perfect Girls Catherine7/8/05 & Mirelle17/10/07

Child's first name: Jebediah
Boy or girl?: Boy
Age when started to sleep through: 4-6 weeks

Was your child breastfed or bottle fed? boob until 9 weeks
Number of feeds per day? 5
Was your child sleeping in your bed, a cradle, a bassinette or a cot? cradle then went to cot at 11 weeks when out grew it as it started playing up with his sleeps
Was your child sleeping in your room, a room with another sibling or in their own room? Own room
Was your child being wrapped for sleep? Yes
Was your child of above average weight, average weight or below average weight? Well above average
Was your child being put to sleep in your arms, put to sleep by you in their bed or self settling in their bed? self settling in his bed
Was the weather hot, cold or average? cold at night
Did you have a regular bedtime routine and what was it? Bath, bottle, bed
What sort of sleeper was your child during the day? Excellent 2x2hour + 1hour nap
Anything else that may have contributed to your child sleeping through? While he did have a 10:30pm bottle he always went straight back to sleep after without a problem. He would sleep from 7:30pm to 7/7:30am so the sleep after his dreamfeed would be at least 8 hours. Plus he was a good routine during the day feed 5x200ml bottles 4 hourly.
Child's first name: Sonja
Age when started to sleep through: 6pm-2am at 4 weeks, 6pm-~4/5am by about 8 weeks
Was this child your first child?: Yep

Was your child breastfed or bottle fed? Breast
Was your child sleeping in your bed, a cradle, a bassinette or a cot? Padded insert in her cot
Was your child sleeping in your room, a room with another sibling or in their own room? Own room
Was your child being wrapped for sleep? Not by that stage
Was your child of above average weight, average weight or below average weight? Above average
Was your child being put to sleep in your arms, put to sleep by you in their bed or self settling in their bed? Always self settled
Was the weather hot, cold or average? Coming into summer.
Did you have a regular bedtime routine and what was it? Yep, bath, boob, bed.
What sort of sleeper was your child during the day? At that stage very good, at 12 weeks beacme a napper like many babies.
Anything else that may have contributed to your child sleeping through? Was woken or 10pm feed untill 4 weeks, night feeds were always subdued with only the TV for light. A couple of times she woke early - was given dummy or water. Dunno if that has anything to do with anything, I think I am just very lucky. smile .

Child's first name:
Boy or girl?:
Age when started to sleep through:
Was this child your first child?:

At the time of starting to sleep through:5 weeks
Was your child breastfed or bottle fed?bottle
Was your child sleeping in your bed, a cradle, a bassinette or a cot?bassinet then cot
Was your child sleeping in your room, a room with another sibling or in their own room?our room
Was your child being wrapped for sleep?not always he didnt liked being rapped
Was your child of above average weight, average weight or below average weight? average
Was your child being put to sleep in your arms, put to sleep by you in their bed or self settling in their bed? sometimes selfsettling sometimes rocked
Was the weather hot, cold or average?cold
Did you have a regular bedtime routine and what was it? not really
What sort of sleeper was your child during the day?great
Anything else that may have contributed to your child sleeping through?nope

[URL="http://tinypic.com/flek.php?f=o6a69g&s=2&qu...

Child's first name: Jessica
Age when started to sleep through: about 6 weeks
Was this child your first child?: yes

Was your child breastfed or bottle fed? breastfed
Number of feeds per day? approx 6
Was your child sleeping in your bed, a cradle, a bassinette or a cot? bassinette but shortly after in cot
Was your child sleeping in your room, a room with another sibling or in their own room? when in bassinnette in our room then in own room in cot
Was your child being wrapped for sleep? no (she didn't like being wrapped after about 2 weeks old)
Was your child of above average weight, average weight or below average weight? average
Was your child being put to sleep in your arms, put to sleep by you in their bed or self settling in their bed? self settling
Was the weather hot, cold or average? hot and average
Did you have a regular bedtime routine and what was it? not really
What sort of sleeper was your child during the day? she slept a lot through the day aswell
Anything else that may have contributed to your child sleeping through? i think me and my husband had a relaxed attitude which helped

Jess 2005, Steph 2006, Chris 2008 and Olly 2009

Child's first name: Jordan
Age when started to sleep through: 8 weeks
Was this child your first child?: No

Was your child breastfed or bottle fed? Bootle
Was your child sleeping in your bed, a cradle, a bassinette or a cot? Bassinette
Was your child sleeping in your room, a room with another sibling or in their own room? Their own room
Was your child being wrapped for sleep? No
Was your child of above average weight, average weight or below average weight? Average
Was your child being put to sleep in your arms, put to sleep by you in their bed or self settling in their bed? Self settling
Did you have a regular bedtime routine and what was it? No
What sort of sleeper was your child during the day?Great
Anything else that may have contributed to your child sleeping through?Having a musical mobile over her cradle may have helped her go to sleep

ayla (4 months), jordan(4yrs), maddys(7yrs)

Child's first name: Kegan
Boy or girl?: boy
Age when started to sleep through: 6 weeks
Was this child your first child?: yip

Was your child breastfed or bottle fed? Bottle
Was your child sleeping in your bed, a cradle, a bassinette or a cot? Moses basket in his cot
Was your child being wrapped for sleep? No (was using a safety sleep though)
Was your child of above average weight, average weight or below average weight? Average
Was your child being put to sleep in your arms, put to sleep by you in their bed or self settling in their bed? put into there bed sleepy but awake
Was the weather hot, cold or average? coolish
Did you have a regular bedtime routine and what was it? bed at 7pm
What sort of sleeper was your child during the day? cat napped to start but ended up regular 2 hours
Anything else that may have contributed to your child sleeping through? putting him into a routine ASAP dictating when he would feed and giviong the majority of his feed between 7am and 7pm

Hope this helps

kiwi, 12/10/05

Child's first name: Asher
Age when started to sleep through: 2 1/2mths

Was your child breastfed or bottle fed? Both (about half half)
Number of feeds per day? About 6-7 I think
Was your child sleeping in your bed, a cradle, a bassinette or a cot? Bassinette
Was your child sleeping in your room, a room with another sibling or in their own room? Own room - he was a noisy sleeper so I had to move him into his own room when he was about 2 mths.
Was your child being wrapped for sleep? Yes I wrapped him and he slept on his side because he chucked a lot.
Was your child of above average weight, average weight or below average weight? He is big for his age because he is very tall. Not fat just tall, in the highest percentile.
Was your child being put to sleep in your arms, put to sleep by you in their bed or self settling in their bed? I would give him a bath, have quite time in my bedroom like read a book or lay on the bed talking then I would wrap him hold him in my arms and give him a bot. He would fall asleep like that and then I would put him in bed. There came a stage though when he wouldnt go to sleep in my arms anymore so I just put him in his own bed to go to sleep.
Did you have a regular bedtime routine and what was it? I didnt have a regular routine throughout the day my bedtime was always the same. Bath, quite time, book, wrap, bot, bed. After he was in bed if he woke up I would not pick him up, made no eye contact and just put his dummy back in, maybe rub his back turn him over and he would settle again.
What sort of sleeper was your child during the day? The more he slept during the day the better he would sleep at night. He would have two naps, one after breakfast and one in the afternoon. ranging from anywhere between 30mins to 2hrs. Sometime he would only have one nap though.
Anything else that may have contributed to your child sleeping through? He was interested in food very early. I gave him a taste about a week before he turned 4 mths. I think this may have contributed and also when I changed him to formula it was a lot easier for me to see how much he was getting so I think this helped also. I think moving him to his own room helped because I often though maybe I was the reason he would wake up cause I couldnt sleep properly because of his noises and would wake at the slightest noise. Even he would grizzy in his sleep so I would react to this also when I should have just left him. Maybe he sensed this or something.
Child's first name: Kai
Age when started to sleep through: 2 months
Was your child breastfed or bottle fed? bottle fed but with expressed breast milk
Number of feeds per day? 7sih
Was your child sleeping in your bed, a cradle, a bassinette or a cot? Cot
Was your child sleeping in your room, a room with another sibling or in their own room? in my room
Was your child being wrapped for sleep? yes
Was your child of above average weight, average weight or below average weight? above average
Was your child being put to sleep in your arms, put to sleep by you in their bed or self settling in their bed? put in cot and pat and shhh until almost asleep then fell asleep on his own.
Was the weather hot, cold or average? cold
Did you have a regular bedtime routine and what was it? bath, feed, sleep routine
What sort of sleeper was your child during the day? good slept 2-3 hours at a time
Anything else that may have contributed to your child sleeping through? dont think so, he just liked his sleep

Sarah and Kai almost 1year 6 teeth and walking

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your replies! Based on 12 sets of answers, this is what I can work out:

Child's first name: this is just so I know who I've recorded!
Boy or girl?: 58.3% are boys, 41.6% are girls
Age when started to sleep through: 66.6% slept thru by 6 weeks of age, 25 % slept thru by 8 weeks of age, 8.3% slept through by 10 weeks of age
Was this child your first child?: 83.3% were the first child, 16.6% were not the first child (though many second time parents might not be using this website)

Was your child breastfed or bottle fed? 33.3% were breastfed, 66.6% were bottle fed
Number of feeds per day? 25% had 5 feeds per day, 66.6% had 6 feeds per day, 8.3% had 7 feeds per day
Was your child sleeping in your bed, a cradle, a bassinette or a cot? 0% slept in their parents' bed, 8.3% slept in a cradle, 41.6% slept in a bassinette (but many went to cots soon after), 50% slept in a cot
Was your child sleeping in your room, a room with another sibling or in their own room? 50% slept in their parents' room (but many went to their own rooms soon after), 0% slept in their sibling's room (but 83.3% didn't have siblings anyway), 50% slept in their own room
Was your child being wrapped for sleep? 58.3% were wrapped, 41.6% were not wrapped
Was your child of above average weight, average weight or below average weight? 41.6% were of above average weight, 58.3% were of average weight, 0% were of below average weight
Was your child being put to sleep in your arms, put to sleep by you in their bed or self settling in their bed? 0% were put to sleep in the parent's arms, 0% were put to sleep in their bed by the parent, 100% were self settling
Was the weather hot, cold or average? 16.6% slept thru during hot weather, 75% slept thru during cold weather, 8.3% slept thru during average weather
Did you have a regular bedtime routine and what was it? 75% had a regular bedtime routine (all routines were bath, milk, then bed, bedtimes ranged from 6:30 to 7:30pm), 25% didn't have a regular bedtime routine
What sort of sleeper was your child during the day? 75% were excellent day sleepers, 25% were average day sleepers, 0% were poor day sleepers
Anything else that may have contributed to your child sleeping through? a lot of the answers were very similar, especially giving a 10pm or 10:30pm roll over feed (either woken or dreamfed), then given water when they woke after that or resettled in the cot without picking them up, getting into a routine from an early age, and feeding often on a schedule rather than demand feeding. Other answers included the parents being relaxed, the baby being contented, a musical mobile, moving the baby to their own room and switching to formula.

In my opinion, the factors that seem to be showing a strong similarity are:
* sleeping in a bassinette or cot (91.6% combined)
* being of above average or average weight (100% combined)
* baby self settling (100%)
* cool weather (75%)
* having a regular bedtime routine (75%)
* giving a roll over feed

These babies also seemed to be excellent or average day sleepers (100% combined).

KirstieGai, was Madison 8 months or 8 weeks old when she started sleeping through the night on a regular basis? I haven't included Madison's results yet.

The results are really interesting, especially the fact that all the babies were self settling. We need to remember though that these results are only based on 12 babies so far and that some results may be coincidental.

Keep the replies coming!!! Thanks!!!

Carra.

WA, daughters born May 2005 and June 2007

Caitlin
Girl
6 - 8 weeks
First

Breastfed
Cot
Own room
Wrapped
Above average weight and height (in proportion)
Self settling in her own bed
Average weather (it was winter but we have a very warm house due to central heating)
Regular routine - feed, bath, story, bed
Terrible day sleeper - short sleeps but every 3 to 4 hours
Factors that contributed - I don't think that there is anything that a parent can really do to help sleeping through. Each kid is different and I'm sure my next one will be a nightmare! However, I did watch the "Its Time to Sleep" video and followed their technique of wrapping then lying her on her side and patting her till she calmed down and then taking hands off so she would go to sleep without any outside involvement. I also gave a dream feed at 9.30pm where I would pick her up and feed her without waking her up properly. Please note that she has had set backs - every few weeks she will go through a patch of waking in the night or waking very early in the morning.

Mum to Caitlin & Owain

Sign in to follow this topic