Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Post Natal Depression Rss

I want to know who has suffered from post natal depression? Who has spoken about it and who told nobody how they felt? Has anyone seeked medical advise and felt uncomfortable or felt that they were just wisked out the door?
Hi there, I scored high on a few questions today on the postnatal questionare. Im not sure that I will go to a GP to be put on medication as that's a quick fix. I lost my mother to cancer in November, so I put it down to grieving and learning to cope with no outside help. Other then my partner I wouldn't discuss it with anyone else.
I did twice. I put up with it for a year the first time and it really impacted on how I was as a mother. Then got help, medication and support group. Although I clearly needed the medication again after the second one it was not as bad as I didn't leave it as long to get help.
I was embarrassed to tell people, felt like a terrible mother but when I did tell family and friends they were great, should have done it sooner.
If you go for help and don't get it you, really need to go somewhere else. The GP, community health centre or psychologist.
Good luck.
I spent 2 years after the birth of my first child desperately trying to find help. I was passed from person to person, doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors. It wasn't until I moved states that I finally got some form of help. I never bonded with my son, and as a result it was very easy to leave him with his father in a different state. I literally begged for help for such a long time. I have no faith in the mental health services in this country.
I have had a pretty rough time after the birth of my second son (now 7 months old) but feel it's not worth the added pain of being passed around again so have not sought help beyond the initial 'help' that came after that 'test' the visiting nurse gave me.

Hi there, I scored high on a few questions today on the postnatal questionare. Im not sure that I will go to a GP to be put on medication as that's a quick fix. I lost my mother to cancer in November, so I put it down to grieving and learning to cope with no outside help. Other then my partner I wouldn't discuss it with anyone else.
Ali_Cat - WOW you have been through a lot and that would still be so raw with your mother only passing away recently. Pills can be a quick fix but they can also be the answer. I am glad that you can talk to your partner but also find it very sad that you have nobody else to discuss your emotions with. It is ok to be sad, you have been through heaps and should be proud that you still get up every day. Keep strong and take care x

I did twice. I put up with it for a year the first time and it really impacted on how I was as a mother. Then got help, medication and support group. Although I clearly needed the medication again after the second one it was not as bad as I didn't leave it as long to get help.
I was embarrassed to tell people, felt like a terrible mother but when I did tell family and friends they were great, should have done it sooner.
If you go for help and don't get it you, really need to go somewhere else. The GP, community health centre or psychologist.
Good luck.
Hi Craigmeg, I am so proud that you A: got hel and B: spoke to your family and friends. I am not going through this but have a very close friend who is - Recently we went away and I got to see just how bad it is, it is affecting her child because she is so sad. I recently booked her an appointment at a womans clinic and am mortified to find out that they just shoved her out the door. Hence the research, something needs to be done. Keep strong and so glad you are doing well x
Streetlights - That is so sad, you have clearly had a rough time and no help during it. Can I tell you that is what I am realising that there really is no help for woman. Please go to beyond blue and clic on the linc for post natal depression and search for professionals in your area. If you do this please tell me how you go as I want to know if the professionals on this site really are there to help. Please take care and no that you are a brilliant mother x

Streetlights - That is so sad, you have clearly had a rough time and no help during it. Can I tell you that is what I am realising that there really is no help for woman. Please go to beyond blue and clic on the linc for post natal depression and search for professionals in your area. If you do this please tell me how you go as I want to know if the professionals on this site really are there to help. Please take care and no that you are a brilliant mother x

Been there done that.
I was sent a 'friend' through the Mental Health Service of Tasmania' (or something like that). This woman came into my home and I spoke to her about my feelings and my state of mind. I told her that I was having visions of putting my child into our fire. When she left that day, it was the last I saw of her. I made a formal complaint a month or so later when it was quite clear she wasn't coming back. A couple of weeks later she turned up on my doorstep. I didn't let her in. What would the point have been? She wasn't there to help, she was there to cover her arse. I have rung beyond blue in the past, they refer to the regular services in your area. There's no point in that when you've already been through those services with no success. Better to find someone who has been through this sort of thing so you can talk to someone with a clue about the reality of it.
Sign in to follow this topic