Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Looking after yourself with a Baby
  5. who has done pilates to lose pregnancy weight?

who has done pilates to lose pregnancy weight? Rss

I had a c-section so if I do situps or anything like that my scar starts to hurt and I heard pilates is gentle and good for losing weight. I have researched lessons but they seem pretty expensive so can anyone recommend a good DVD? Also what are other peoples experience of pilates?

I had a c-section so if I do situps or anything like that my scar starts to hurt and I heard pilates is gentle and good for losing weight. I have researched lessons but they seem pretty expensive so can anyone recommend a good DVD? Also what are other peoples experience of pilates?

Hi

Um ive been doing pilates now for 6 weeks and my god is it hard! And im doing the beginner DVD! For any exercise that hurt you, you should stop doing it. Walking (power walking) is great for losing weight. You can do other exercises that involve you pulling in your abs, such as push-ups, squats, lunges etc. If you do want to do situps tho, do partial ones where you only raise your shoulders off the floor then back down again. do them slowly and only a few at a time. Then increase by 2 more each day so your tummy gets use to the movement slowly.
I used to do pilates at my old gym so was run by the personal trainers there. I loved it and was included in my membership. Also bought a dvd and did that occasionally.

However, I have just joined another gym and they have a physio who comes in to do the classes and this is my second week. It is expensive ($10 members, $20 non members) but I cannot recommend enough to go to a qualified pilates instructor or physio for a few sessions to get your technique right. Last weeks class was amazing, spending a lot of time on our pelvic floor (not the internal ones you do after having a baby) and I was still feeling it a few days later. I look back now and realise most of the other pilates wasnt really that worthwhile as I wasnt doing it totally correct.

I dont really think it is good for weight loss, more for core strength, posture and long lean muscles but if you combine with walking or some sort of cardio I think it would be awesome for your whole body.

My class is tonight at 7.30pm and I cant wait. I say I have a gym membership but please dont think I am a gym bunny, I won it at a trivia night so am making an effort to go. Pilates would suit anyone.

Goodluck!
I had a preglaties one when i was pregnant and it would be perfect for you to do now. From memory i bought the dvd for $20 but i had to special order it. I think i still have it if you would like it for the cost of postage?? PM me if you want it.

I used to do pilates at my old gym so was run by the personal trainers there. I loved it and was included in my membership. Also bought a dvd and did that occasionally.

However, I have just joined another gym and they have a physio who comes in to do the classes and this is my second week. It is expensive ($10 members, $20 non members) but I cannot recommend enough to go to a qualified pilates instructor or physio for a few sessions to get your technique right. Last weeks class was amazing, spending a lot of time on our pelvic floor (not the internal ones you do after having a baby) and I was still feeling it a few days later. I look back now and realise most of the other pilates wasnt really that worthwhile as I wasnt doing it totally correct.

I dont really think it is good for weight loss, more for core strength, posture and long lean muscles but if you combine with walking or some sort of cardio I think it would be awesome for your whole body.

My class is tonight at 7.30pm and I cant wait. I say I have a gym membership but please dont think I am a gym bunny, I won it at a trivia night so am making an effort to go. Pilates would suit anyone.

Goodluck!

Oh and the other thing about having the physio show you how to do it was that he checked my stomach muscles to make sure they had joined back together and adjusted some of the exercises to suit. I think that would be very important is you have had a c-section, you dont want to do any damage.
I have been doing pilates with a physio for the past 3 years to help my back after I slipped a disc. I did it right up to 3 days before my baby was born, I missed 6 weeks after and she was born and could tell I had not been. I feel it has helped me tone up and strengthen my muscles, it also was my life line while giving birth. I love it and look forward to my class each week. My class has max of 4 so the instructer can help each person (like one on one). We do a lot of reformer work and a little bit of floor work. I can't recommend pilates enough. I pay $45 for 60mins($23 after private health rebate)

Ask around at physio clinics.

Good luck
Hi there! I did baby pilates at a local hall with a physio instructor. Classes were $15 a week for an hour and you took your baby with you. My friend came with me, she had a c-section and had separation of the stomach muscles, she said it worked wonderfully to help repair that.

I agree that pilates isn't really for weight loss, more for toning and stengthening muscles. Sorry I can't suggest a DVD but if you just go to one class you can generally do all the exercises at home. Good to have a fit ball and strap!
Hi, I can recommend the 'Crunch' fitness DVD's with Ellen Barrett as the instructor. She's really clear and easy to follow. There are several titles that are good including 'Fat Burning Pilates', 'Burn & Firm Pilates' 'Pick Your Spot Pilates' and 'Super SlimDown Pilates Yoga Blend'. They are great for doing in the comfort of your own home and have helped me to return to my pre pregnancy weight for both pregnancies. I purchased them from Big W.
HI,

I recommend Tasha Lawton pregalates dvd's.

I exercised to Tasha Lawtons dvds throughout my entire pregnancy and continue to do so after baby, though I rarely exercised for the first 4 to 5 months, due to sleep deprivation, busy-ness with a baby... etc.

Once the 5 month mark hit, i started craving to feel comfortable in my own skin again.

I had a great labour/birth (still 15 hours long) which I am sure the strength in my abs was the key (due to pilates) and have now dropped the 17 kilos I put on throughout my pregnancy.

However in saying that, I believe my weight loss was not just about the pilates. Loss of weight , in my opinion, happens by consistently exercising, eating well, having a great vision and having as little stress as possible.

I started with my vision. A vision of how I would feel when I have lost the weight and how nice it is to feel comfortable with myself in my own skin. I remember this vision every day, but realise it took time to get the weight on and it is a process to take the weight off.

I have a driving force in me to be at the top of my game for my baby and I believe that for me I can achieve this by feeling fit and healthy and in control of my own body.

I really looked at what I was eating, or not eating. 2 thirds of what I eat comes out of the ground (ie. fruit and veggies). It takes preparation and work to eat healthy but it is so worth the extra energy I have! And drink water!

I walk with bub in the pram in conjunction with doing pilates. Pilates is strengthening and builds my muscle tone, eases my back pain from lifting a baby all day, has helped me to gain my confidence again and is really great at decreasing my stress levels, which in turn keeps my bubba happy. Pilates, promotes self-esteem and decreases stress levels which are essential to weight loss.

Exercise burns calories. How many calories you burn depends on your body type and your level of exertion.

Creating lean muscle mass, as Pilates does, is one of the best ways to increase your calorie-burning potential. And no... girls will never gain huge muscle mass like males, we just are not built that way!

Can you tell I'm a fan of Pilates??? LOL

Good luck with your journey!
Thanks so much for all the great replies. I should clarify that I do want to lose weight but I am interested in pilates to tone up my tummy. I have this extra skin/fat spare tyre thing lol, I hate it. I dont have a car so i walk and catch public transport everywhere. I put on 24 kilos while I was pregnant and I lost a lot straight away (I think all the fluid retention) but I still have about 9 to go. It's all in my tummy and hips. i will check out the dvds mentioned, I would love to go to lessons by a physio but it's a bit too expensive. I cant find anything where I live that is reasonably priced. Maybe I am looking in the wrong spot.
I cant do much in the way of a diet (apart from just eating healthy food) cos I am breastfeeding and get SOOO hungry all the time. But as I said before I do a lot of walking so hopefully that will help the extra weight come off, it hasnt yet but maybe if I do pilates as well it will work. i cant do running cos it hurts too much.
Hi

Um ive been doing pilates now for 6 weeks and my god is it hard! And im doing the beginner DVD! For any exercise that hurt you, you should stop doing it. Walking (power walking) is great for losing weight. You can do other exercises that involve you pulling in your abs, such as push-ups, squats, lunges etc. If you do want to do situps tho, do partial ones where you only raise your shoulders off the floor then back down again. do them slowly and only a few at a time. Then increase by 2 more each day so your tummy gets use to the movement slowly.
This is a very good way to lose weight. You should always work on yourself and try to look as good as possible.
Sign in to follow this topic