Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Caring for your Baby
  5. Advice!! 3 week old bub.

Advice!! 3 week old bub. Lock Rss

Hi all,

My 3 week old has diarrhea now for a week and a half 6-8 times a day, I have been to the doctor 2 days ago but she says not to worry... but I am because we are having a sleepless rough time with her.
She won't sleep longer than 2 hours (if we can get her to sleep at all)
She feeds well -bottle 70ml-100ml Heinz (we were on Karicare but swapped due to wind)
VERY windy - burps, farts a lot but never seems to be free of wind - she wakes up trying to fart.
she also grunts a lot and sort of makes a noise like she is clearing her throat, this disturbs her sleep and she wakes up.
Also she acts like she's hungry even when shes not.
I thought she might be lactose intolerant??
Any one have any experience with this?
I need sleep!!!
Thank you for taking the time to reply smile
Nurture gold is what we are using... as the karicare (we thought) was giving her wind and also constipation, Im not keen on changing formula just yet... and if I do i might look at soy based one.

Colic... seems to be the problem, but what to do about it?

Hi all,

My 3 week old has diarrhea now for a week and a half 6-8 times a day, I have been to the doctor 2 days ago but she says not to worry... but I am because we are having a sleepless rough time with her.
She won't sleep longer than 2 hours (if we can get her to sleep at all)
She feeds well -bottle 70ml-100ml Heinz (we were on Karicare but swapped due to wind)
VERY windy - burps, farts a lot but never seems to be free of wind - she wakes up trying to fart.
she also grunts a lot and sort of makes a noise like she is clearing her throat, this disturbs her sleep and she wakes up.
Also she acts like she's hungry even when shes not.
I thought she might be lactose intolerant??
Any one have any experience with this?
I need sleep!!!

my 3wk old DD is the same, except for the sleeping....shes still doing that..sometimes....

But we were on Heinz nurture GOLD and she was having wind problems so health nurse said to switch to non GOLD, havnt seen any improvements yet, but only had 4 bottles so far....

She burps and farts a lot but still acts windy, she grunts a lot and makes the throat clearing noise, she acts like shes hungry so u give her a bottle and she just chokes on it and spits it out.

I may be a bit far fetched but Ive been reading a few things and sort of have the feeling its silent reflux....but im not to sure.

oh and we use Maam anti colic and Advent anti colic smilesmile so i dont think its the bottles.
Does it seem like she's upset when she poos? like it's painful? (going red in the face, grunting etc) Keep an eye out for mucous and blood in her poo.

I had a lot of feeding/diareah troubles with my little one for the first 7 weeks, turned out she had a cow's milk protein (NOT LACTOSE) intolerance. I was breastfeeding and gave up dairy, only later to find out it was soy protein as well.

Demand stool samples (they are gross to do but it's worth doing). My doctor kept telling me not to worry about the mucousy blood. Then she lost weight one week so I demanded tests be done, saw a paed, and she is now on Neocate, which is a prescription hypoallergenic formula.

Good luck and let me know how you go!

Love Kyz xx
At least we arn't alone Krittle... small comfort. Are you getting your bub to sleep?
I'll google silent reflux smile thanks

it would be great to know how ur formula goes smile
I know it probably feels like an eternity coz you are so sleep deprived but just remember that she is only 3 weeks old. I wouldnt be changing formula either until you at least give this one a chance to 'prove' itself. If you keep changing formulas it stresses you out and the baby.
My best advice would be to keep her upright for a bit longer after a feed, make sure she is fully burped etc before you put her down. I know its tempting to put them down straight after a feed cause they seem so settled but its the worse thing to do.
Also could you keep offering her a dummy? The sucking motion is what she is after cause its settling her, thats why your thinking she hungry.
I'm no expert but have 4 children so hope some of this makes sense and helps. Most of all though, keep a level head and keep breathing - It will get better!

At least we arn't alone Krittle... small comfort. Are you getting your bub to sleep?
I'll google silent reflux smile thanks

it would be great to know how ur formula goes smile

she still sleeps 4hrs at night, wakes for a feed, back to sleep within the hr, and sleeps for another 4 hrs....but during the day shes a little harder to get to sleep....she will quite happily fall asleep in ur arms tho....but i really dont want to get into that habit, as much as i would love to sit there with her in my arms all day!!

Oh also i bought the infacol drops, and it says not for under 1month, so i bought infants friend which are suitable for newborns....and i gave it to her 3 times and then she brought a whole bottle back up one night, so i didnt give it to her again. Dont know if it was just a coincidence or it was the wind drops that did it to her, but she hasnt spewed like that since, had little bits of spew but not a whole bottle!!

she still sleeps 4hrs at night, wakes for a feed, back to sleep within the hr, and sleeps for another 4 hrs....but during the day shes a little harder to get to sleep....she will quite happily fall asleep in ur arms tho....but i really dont want to get into that habit, as much as i would love to sit there with her in my arms all day!!

Oh also i bought the infacol drops, and it says not for under 1month, so i bought infants friend which are suitable for newborns....and i gave it to her 3 times and then she brought a whole bottle back up one night, so i didnt give it to her again. Dont know if it was just a coincidence or it was the wind drops that did it to her, but she hasnt spewed like that since, had little bits of spew but not a whole bottle!!

I used infacol once on my baby when she had bad wind, she did exactly the same thing. I'd never seen so much vomit come out of such a small bub. The bottle went straight into the bin and we went straight into the bath, lol. laugh My baby is breastfed and not much of a spewer either.
Thanks everyone for the advice and help.
At the moment she is trying to sleep but keeps waking up and grunting and doing heaps of farts (this happens a lot)this can't be normal! (Btw this is my 2nd bub, my other DD is 16 months) and she had reflux, but nothing like this bubba!

I know it probably feels like an eternity coz you are so sleep deprived but just remember that she is only 3 weeks old. I wouldnt be changing formula either until you at least give this one a chance to 'prove' itself. If you keep changing formulas it stresses you out and the baby.
My best advice would be to keep her upright for a bit longer after a feed, make sure she is fully burped etc before you put her down. I know its tempting to put them down straight after a feed cause they seem so settled but its the worse thing to do.
Also could you keep offering her a dummy? The sucking motion is what she is after cause its settling her, thats why your thinking she hungry.
I'm no expert but have 4 children so hope some of this makes sense and helps. Most of all though, keep a level head and keep breathing - It will get better!

Ive given my DD a dummy....and have found that helps too...as u said its the sucking motion she wants, Tho i had already given it to her before we had wind problems coz she was using me as a dummy and that wasnt fun!

I would definately get checked out, as suggested, for intolerances. Too risky to not get it checked.

Hopefully it's nothing major, just one of those things that little bubs go through.

Although I breastfed, my first DS was much the same. He was worse in the morning which was because I wasn't burping him enough through the night feeds. I also used Infants Friend just once right before each feed and it helped alot.

Brauer do a Colic Relief which REALLY helped settle him to sleep. I would recommend trying it....it's a homeopathic formula.
Sign in to follow this topic