Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. breath holding and passing out

breath holding and passing out Lock Rss

Hello

Ds usually holds his breath when he gets hurt badly or a shock. Its never been a big problem because its not lasted long. But I've been noticing the periods getting longer. At the beginning of the week he held his breath so long he passed out. He was only out for a few seconds. I was a bit concerned but knew it was not unusual for babies and toddlers.

Well tonight he passed out again (after a fall) and he was out for longer. When he came to he was a little disoriented. I've checked raising children network and it says you should see your Dr the first time the breath holding happens.
So do you think i need to?
Have any of your kids done this?

Thanks guys.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

hey Nods

havent had any experience with this, but sounds scary.

do you have a healthline you can ring, just to see if there is anythign you need to watch out for?

I'd probably book a dr's appt also just to be safe, are you still seeing a pead for him? can you just mention it to them?

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

jazool wrote:
hey Nods

havent had any experience with this, but sounds scary.

do you have a healthline you can ring, just to see if there is anythign you need to watch out for?

I'd probably book a dr's appt also just to be safe, are you still seeing a pead for him? can you just mention it to them?

I did think of the health line but he was fine after a cuddle.
I do have a paed but the next appointment isn't until December. And its a visiting one as we don't have a local one.

I think ill make a Dr appointment next week.

(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

A friend used to hold her breath til she passed out too... Just in place of a tantrum. Her mum was advised back then that it wasn't too much of an issue and she'd grow out of it, which she did. (Apparently she'd occasionally splash her face with cold water to get her to stop!!)
Definitely worth checking with a GP or similar, just incase there is another reason for it and for reassurance etc
I think tho passing out after a fall is a completely different ball game... I'd try and contact someone to check. & monitor for any further signs of concussion etc... Drowsy, (hard at night time when they'd normally sleep anyway!) vomiting etc...)
Good luck!
Thanks 80s baby. That's reassuring. smile
Like i say he has been a breath holder as long as i can remember but seems to be getting longer periods. Ill make a Dr appointment. smile

Kiwi gem. He hurt himself let out a cry and then just stopped breathing altogether. Just looking at him you could tell it wa shock not that he'd been hurt badly. So Im not concerned about concussion.
Thank you. smile

(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I do that (holding my breath, not passing out). Can't help it. It happens when I am extremely overly alert - like hurting myself, falling over and regaining balance or some other thing where I go into the fight or flight mode, and when I see something really scary on a movie or read it in a book.

Holding my breath for me is a coping mechanism, and I do not think it is normal.

Maybe Sensory Processing issues?

I used to do this as a child. Not too sure as to what caused it, but can vaguely remember on one occasion on being pulled out of it by my mum slapping me on the face! I know that I ended up having tests done, but they found no reason/cause for it, and def grew out of it.
Sounds scary!!! Haven't had any experience myself but I was taught that a baby will involuntarily take a last breath before they pass out and that is why they wake up fine. However not having witnessed it before I think I would go talk to your doc or someone one like.
Maybe try raising their feet a little after they pass out. Its a common thing to do for someone who has fainted. Helps the blood to rush back into the brain and waking them up faster and a little less disorientated.

Young people learn from experience. So who are we to try and stop them

It's not quite the same thing, but when we had apnoeic babies at work we would blow gently into their faces to prompt them to breathe. It's the same reflex that is used in baby swimming classes before submerging the baby smile Given that your DS is 'forgetting' to breathe, it might help if you can get to him before he passes out.
Sign in to follow this topic