Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Constipated. Help Lock Rss

So my son is 6 months old and started solids. He is now on a morning feed and afternoon feed.
He is breast fed too. He is really badly constipated and I don't know what else to do. I've tried prunes, pears, water,
Coloxil drops and even tried brown sugar and water. He screams when doing a poo and it comes out in a tiny nugget.
I has a bad pain in the tummy to which makes it hard to breast feed him as this agrivates it.

Any suggestions?
Definitely time to get him to the doctor I think, or even the ER if getting into a doctor is going to have you waiting too long.

Sorry I don't have any other suggestions for you, but hope all is back to normal soon!
I also had this trouble with DS2 when he went onto solids. If there is faeces in the lower rectum then you could try paediatric glycerol suppositories, they are just over the counter from the chemist, this will soften it enough to pass through. Continue with the coloxyl drops 3 times a day, offer plenty of water and fruit.
It is awful when you know they are uncomfortable!

I hope things improve soon

So my son is 6 months old and started solids. He is now on a morning feed and afternoon feed.
He is breast fed too. He is really badly constipated and I don't know what else to do. I've tried prunes, pears, water,
Coloxil drops and even tried brown sugar and water. He screams when doing a poo and it comes out in a tiny nugget.
I has a bad pain in the tummy to which makes it hard to breast feed him as this agrivates it.

Any suggestions?

Cut back on the solids and assess what you are feeding him, something is making him constipated and it might be a matter of too much solids - but more likely what solids he is eating and not enough fluids.

Try one solid meal a day and if he's having farex then cut that back or eliminate altogether, its high in iron and that could be causing the constipation.

Once he's going ok on one lot of solids a day then re-introduce 2 but do it one food at a time so you can see what is causing any issues.
Same problem - my daughter is constipated from 2 months old, now she is almost 9...no poos without my help. Paediatritian said it happens and will go away with age. GP referred to baby gastroenterologist, so waiting until June. I have a very happy baby, but constipation makes her very distressed evey day. Coloxyl drops didn't do anything. Lactulose syrop worked great only for 2 weeks, after that - 0 effect even with increased dose. She is mostly breastfed with 2 solid meals per day, I really watch her diet - no rice no bananas, lots of pears and apricots. The only time she can go to the toilet herself is after her swimming classes. I think she swallows lots of water there and then it comes out with an explosion. It's very important to give LOTS of WATER and diluted JUICE to help soften stool.
hi I have had the same problem with my 4 and a half month old son.Lactulose is fantastic have to go to the doctor and theyl give you a script only need the tiniest amount and works strate away :}hope that helps
For the record my son had constipation and he was not on solids dont panic about the food id say,when you go to the doc they can do a supporatory a tiny we jelly thing they put in wich works strate away

I also had this trouble with DS2 when he went onto solids. If there is faeces in the lower rectum then you could try paediatric glycerol suppositories, they are just over the counter from the chemist, this will soften it enough to pass through. Continue with the coloxyl drops 3 times a day, offer plenty of water and fruit.
It is awful when you know they are uncomfortable!

I hope things improve soon

Agree

These are wonderful and will help amost immediately. Do the coloxal drops too at each feed. the suppositories are only a temporary measure (they can become dependant) but coloxyl drops you can continue as long as you would like.

Do back off the solids for a while and if you do offer the solids go with the stewed fruits,apple pear etc.

And it doesn't hurt to try and offer water in a bottle or tippy cup inbetween feeds. Good luck it can be really distressing to see the little things in such discomfort.
Thanks everyone. I think we will be having a problem for a while too. He finally did a poo, with just doing everything I have been plus a mixed a bit of olive oil in his veggies. Once was enough to make him go.

But he is back to being constipated. He has lots and lots of water, and I tried cutting back on food but he's just so hungry.
Hes only little so I don't want him to lose weight from cutting back food.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Try stopping all foods for a few days to clear them from bubs system. Then use one type of food for each feed for 3-4 days - eg fruit puree twice a day. Then add another food etc. This way you can tell if any particular food is effecting bub.

Avoid cereals at first. DS had major issues with rice cereal when little.

Lactulose can be purchased over the counter at the chemist. Speak to the pharmacist about pros and cons of any treatment though - they are usually really helpful.

Suppositries can be helpful short term too.

Another option could be to see a physio for example to learn massage techniques etc to help bub move things along - rubbing belly, moving legs etc.

If all else fails, see your doctor.
Whenever you introduce new food their bowels go into shock - for days, or even weeks.
You can cut back on the solids, by all means, but try reintroducing the second "proper" meal after a week.
Pear juice can be a great help - apple juice seems to have a laxative effect some of the time as well.
And (here we go again) - the suppositories aren't addictive (because of where and how they work), and it's safer to get the "jelly bullet" habit than the constipation habit.

For the record my son had constipation and he was not on solids dont panic about the food id say,when you go to the doc they can do a supporatory a tiny we jelly thing they put in wich works strate away

When babies are constipated on a milk only diet it could be due to other reasons, ie giving them a "gold" formula which is very high in iron. If breastfeeding it could be the mothers diet.

The OPs baby has become constipated since starting solids so I'd hazzard a guess its that.

To the OP if your bub is hungry give him more milk, its got far more calories and nutrients than the basic solids they have at this age and at six months he's very likely having a growth spurt so extra milk feeds will address that. Extra solids will lead to constipation.

I dont think its a good thing that so many want to go the suppository or medicine option for constipation when in the majority of cases (not all) it is due to diet. Their systems need to process waste, if you continually medicate or give suppositories their bodies are not performing the natural process that they should and it can lead to longer term issues with their bowels. You might get them to poop but then if you overload on solids they will be constipated again so you are not solving the problem.
Sign in to follow this topic