Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. Baby and Eczema - HELP!!

Baby and Eczema - HELP!! Rss

My little boy starting getting eczema as soon as he hit 3mths. We went to the doctor who suggested antroquoril because it had gotten quite bad. It does cure the eczema almost instantly but we are really hesitant to use it because its a steroid cream. We are doing the whole bath with QV/baking soda etc and then moisturing immeditately. Since then we've had a second opinion and second doctor said elidel because its not a steroid. But since then we've heard of a cancer link!!! Tried egocort to but told that's also not good to use for more than 7 days. Are there any other mums out there with bubs with eczema and what do you find is working??? I would love any suggestions? My second boy had it as well but not as bad and soon outgrew it. Also I'm wondering if the heat is also causing it to flare up. Would love to hear from other mums????

jo

my DD gets excema although its not too bad. i use sorbelene in her bath, wash her with goats milk soap, then smother her in sorbelene again.

we used egocort, our Dr said we could use if for 2 weeks max. when he gets another flare up we use it on the patches and it usually goes within a few days. he only gets a flare up about once a month, usually if it has been a hot day.

i have also read on here about a mum who was told to dress bub in wet clothes for their night sleep, and the next day the excema was completely gone. if it came back she would just do it again to get rid of it. sounds extreme, but if the excema is bad enough, might be worth a shot. this would be the best time of year to do it too, since the weather is warming up!

we also use QV wash in his bath and then morning and night slather on DermaVeen, a moisturiser fo dry, itchy and sensitive skin. a couple of times i have stopped using it for a couple of days and have noticed that his skin on his legs gets really dry quite fast. so i know it works! it is only about $16 for a big pump pack at our discount chemist. you don't to use much, it spreads a long way on little bodies lol!!!

My DS developed eczema also at 3 months, and we've tried heaps of things. We tried Robertsons formula, Dermaveen, QV cream. But something that did work for him initially was Moogoo cream, http://www.moogoo.com.au/index.htm
But after a bit he developed a bit of an allergy to it for some reason.
I'm now trying Graham's cream, but just waiting on it to come in the mail. I've seen a naturopath also, who says the eczema stems from the gut, so i've got this powder stuff that I put on my nipple when he has a feed. Also if you take really good quality fish oil tablets (if your bubs bf) they are supposed to be really helpful for the skin.
I only bath him once a week, and I put Dermaveen oatmeal powder in the bath which leaves a nice coating on his skin.
It's so frustrating though watching them scratch, you will need to make sure you keep his nails short.
I use steroid cream on him when it's really red & itchy, but otherwise just really moisturize him twice a day.

Posted by: joeyjo
My little boy starting getting eczema as soon as he hit 3mths. We went to the doctor who suggested antroquoril because it had gotten quite bad. It does cure the eczema almost instantly but we are really hesitant to use it because its a steroid cream. We are doing the whole bath with QV/baking soda etc and then moisturing immeditately. Since then we've had a second opinion and second doctor said elidel because its not a steroid. But since then we've heard of a cancer link!!! Tried egocort to but told that's also not good to use for more than 7 days. Are there any other mums out there with bubs with eczema and what do you find is working??? I would love any suggestions? My second boy had it as well but not as bad and soon outgrew it. Also I'm wondering if the heat is also causing it to flare up. Would love to hear from other mums????

<a href=

Thank you all for thoses wonderful suggestions. I'll give some of them a shot. I'm not sure about the wet clothes - scared he'll then get a chill which in turn will give him a cold!! The two spots where its always so bad and have to use a steroid cream is under the chin (neck area) and back of his knees. At the moment I seem to have it under control on the arms and legs (for the moment!!!). I'll look at that moogoo site and let me know how Graham's cream goes. Two people have since told be about the goat's soap too. I'll give them a shot. Thanks so much again

jo

Hi there!

It might also be worth looking at possible causes of the eczema. It may be a reaction to certain foods, detergents, material, household cleaners, plants, baby lotions etc. Overbathing can also contribute as it drys out the skin. Young babies shouldn't be bathed everyday. A typical cycle is babies are bathed daily from birth (which dries the skin) then lathered in chemical laden lotions (any commercial non organic bath stuff - johnson and johnsons etc)then hey presto - bubs have skin issues.... their skin is so sensitive at that age, if anything has to be used it should be chemical free.

You can do things like wash bubs clothes in fragrance free/phosphate free detergent and use much less then you would for a normal wash. Rinsing well is imperative.
Synthetic fibres often contribute to eczema, so dressing bubs in clothes / nappies made from natural fibres such as cotton, hemp, bamboo, wool may help as well. (include bedding in this as well. Reducing the use of household chemicals may help (vinegar and bicarb clean everything!!)Being near trees such as wattles cause a lot of people in my usually very healthy family to break out in eczema, so maybe there is a similar case for you? A few kids in my family have eczema and everyone has found that using Efalex (a blend of fish oil, evening primrose oil and thyme oil from health food stores) clears it up. You would just put it in their drink however it isn't for kids under 2. If breastfeeding, you could have it though and see if it makes a difference as the goodies would be in your bm.
If it is diet related, if bf, then you would have to cut out the foods that may cause it. You would start on a very basic diet and then slowly add stuff back in. Dairy is often a culprit. If on formula, then perhaps he may be allergic to the cow protein?

I hope you find some relief...it is so nasty.

All the best!
My 6 month old inherited gets it in the usual places behind her knees and elbows but in her neck the worst as it all started when the drooling began at about 3 months. It got alot worse as it got hotter and she also gets crazy heat rash which makes the eczema get really inflamed and she just itches all the time which has affected her sleep and routine (making it worse for everyone!!). I constantly cut her nails but somehow she manages to take layers of skin off and a whole other issue begins. Neither QV or Dermaveen creams or lotions work for us (she just screams!!)although the QV oil ok in the bath when her skin is dry . It is mostly red though so we use the Dermaveen oatmeal powder which seems to reduce the inflamation. Of course she cant use soap products and must wear 100% cotton and i have yet to give her wheat or dairy. She had to go on steriods for 3 days (no i did not want to) and it cleared it all up perfectly - until the next heat wave so i do use the egocourt on the really red patches sometimes and it does work. Otherwise we use aqueous cream because it is not too heavy also Emu oil on patches. I dont know what causes the flare ups other than the heat but am still bf so might try the fish oil thing in case it is something i am eating. Also will be purchasing a peke moe so she cant scratch her head! Hope your little one grows out of it soon.
Hi
I read about your bub with eczema, and also the post from one of the readers about the wet clothes. I'm the one who used the wet clothes on recommendation by a Dermatologist. It sounds very weird but I swear by it. My first son had eczema (in the summer time) and we were recommended the wet treatment back in 2004. When my second son got it just as bad, I couldn't understand why I couldn't get rid of it by doing everything that I used for my 1st. ie cotton clothing, QV oil in the bath, steroid creams, moisturisers. So after it got infected yet again- green crustiness behind his ears and completely red all over his torso, I went to the Dermatologist again. He suggested everything I had been doing but then we agreed I'd do the wet treatment. This time it was Winter, which was what made me apprehensive at first, but knowing how it cleared up my first son, I gave it a shot. No word of a lie, baby #2's skin was perfect the next morning. Neither of my boys have caught a chill/cold from it.
All that you need to do, is wet an all in one outfit, warm water if it makes you feel better, squeeze it out completely so its not dripping. Moisturise as per normal and put them to bed. I also wrapped my boys as that's how they'd go to sleep, this helps keep the clothing closer to the skin too. By morning the outfit was completely dry except for the nappy area where it was almost dry as it doesn't touch the skin.
I was taking my 2nd baby to a Paediatrician for another matter, but he was also aware of the eczema. When I told him the treatment I used, he asked if he could add it too his info for patients as it had worked so well.
I used it initially for a week, but that was just in-between the Dermatologist visits. He said its not necessary all the time, just when I thought it was bad enough too. So I've probably used it as an overnight treatment a couple of times since but hardly needed at all now. Just keep up the moisturiser if his skin dries out.
Honestly it is the best thing. Give it a go. Now that the weather is warming up (although I'm in Perth and its raining today)it would be great to do it.
Good Luck
SSB74
Try finding the cause .. milk .. food .. detergent .. soaps .. shampooh .. bubble bath .. clothing ..

My girls have always had sensitive skin .. DD#1 had ezcema, i changed to organic shampoohs ect & even organic clothing .. it cleared .. guess it was the chemicals ..
Hi there, thank you so much for your advice. Unfortunately I have been doing everything you have suggested since my baby was born. I wash all our clothes in ecostore's washing detergent. Since my baby was born I have only used natural instinct baby shampoo and wash. My family is very anti-chemicals so I try and use as much natural stuff as possible. I'm breastfeeding and not eating dairy, nuts etc. And I am taking evening primrose and eczema shield. And my bubs has still got eczema. I think I can only put it down to genetics and the fact that I suffer from hay fever and my husband suffered from asthma as a kid. I will try the efalex though. Thanks

jo

Hi to the lady who suggested the wet clothes. Look I might give it a try (what do i have to lose!!!!) If a dermatologist suggested it well it must have some credit. Beats using heavy steroid creams which i just detest. Especially since i live in north qld!!

jo

Hi Jo
Please give it a go, it really does work. Just use it as much as necessary. You don't have to do it all the time. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I also noticed on another occasion that while I was using a humidifier in his room, the skin was beautiful and smooth. I think by putting moisture in the room may have helped too.

Best of luck,
Shayna
Sign in to follow this topic