Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

12mth not talking Lock Rss

Should I be concerned that my 12 month old DS isnt saying any real words yet?

He makes a lot of babbling noises and squeals, and was making mumma and dadda noises a little while ago, but not as much now. I have tried getting him to talk, but he just looks at my like im an idiot.

He started walking about a month ago and is always on the go, running around etc, so I dont know if maybe he has just focused a his attention on that instead?

I have his 12 month check up on Wednesday with the GP so im going to ask then,

Should I be concerned that my 12 month old DS isnt saying any real words yet?

He makes a lot of babbling noises and squeals, and was making mumma and dadda noises a little while ago, but not as much now. I have tried getting him to talk, but he just looks at my like im an idiot.

He started walking about a month ago and is always on the go, running around etc, so I dont know if maybe he has just focused a his attention on that instead?

I have his 12 month check up on Wednesday with the GP so im going to ask then,

neither of my kids talked at 12months, just babble and sometimes pointing at things. they both had said mum mum and dad dad but not regularly. i honestly dont think you have anything to be concerned about atm, my DS is now 16months and has been saying simple 'words' like juice, bird, car, more and gone, mind you none are pronounced properly! lol. hes only been doing this for a little over a month. my DD (whos now 2.5yrs) was the same, i think she took to it a bit quicker, maybe because i could spend more one on one time with her, but at 12months i wouldnt worry. as long as hes reacting to you and making eye contact, laughing, and reacting to sounds or your voice (his hearing is ok) etc he sounds like a normal healthy bubba =D XX
Thanks for your replies.

I am a first time mum with absolutely no idea. I'm pretty sure he is okay, but I have a tendency to over think things and cause myself unnecessary worry.

He seems more interested in playing than talking. He loves dribbling and kicking a ball, chasing after the dog. We got him some blocks for his birthday the other week, and he loves tipping the box upside down and bashing them together.
Like the other mummies have mentioned, i wouldnt worry too much. My DS has just turned one about a week ago and he is exactly the same. He babbles and makes little noises but that is about all. He says MUM to everything, but really the only word he does say. They are still learning and still young so im sure its fine. xx
Just the other week i was worried about DS as he had no words yet. Just on his first birthday he said bub and walked. Now he can say mum and trying to say dad. DD was a slow talker she could say 3 words by 1 but at 2.5 she was having alot of trouble with her speech. At 3 it just clicked and she is such a goof talker now. She is always talking and you can't shut her up.
Like the other posters have said, don't stress about it, a boy i care for is very physical (can kick a ball better than me!) he took until 3 to get words, and only now at 4.5 can everyone understand him (now we cant shut him up!) however he was checked at 3.5 and the speech therapist gave us some things to work on.

Thanks for your replies.

I am a first time mum with absolutely no idea. I'm pretty sure he is okay, but I have a tendency to over think things and cause myself unnecessary worry.

He seems more interested in playing than talking. He loves dribbling and kicking a ball, chasing after the dog. We got him some blocks for his birthday the other week, and he loves tipping the box upside down and bashing them together.

i stressed a bit too with my first about pretty much everything but i soon learnt not to compare my bub with other kids as often other parents exagerate their bubs development like its some sort of competition, i had one mum at the shops ask if my DD was crawling yet? i said no shes only 5 months but shes nearly sitting =) then she preceeded to tell me that i should see the GP because her little girl was crawling at less then 5 months and can even nearly walk at 8 months! what a load of S**t lol

just trust your instinct hun X but for this your boy sounds happy and healthy to me =D
At my sons 12 month checkup i mentioned he wasn't talking or making many sounds.
At 18 months nothing had changed.Was referred to see speech pathologist and have his hearing tested{hearing was fine}.
Thank god for seeing the speech therapist,yes he was speech delayed with sound issues.
After 9 months of group and one on one classes he can say between 24 and 36 words the favourite being NO.
A lot of mums may disagree with me but if your child isn't talking or at least making talking sounds have it checked ASAP.
I know a 4 year old with speech issues and its not nice when I tell him I can'tunderstand him.
Would not want any parent to go through all the drama and violent episodes that children with speech issues can have....
One last thing if any one says to me one more time he will talk when he wants too I may swear at them.
He is definitely making talking sounds, he is always making loads of noises and can make mamamama and dadadada noises, but not to us. There just arent any real words yet, or know to associate anything with words.

I am keeping an eye on it, and will mention it at the doctor tomorrow...

He is definitely making talking sounds, he is always making loads of noises and can make mamamama and dadadada noises, but not to us. There just arent any real words yet, or know to associate anything with words.

I am keeping an eye on it, and will mention it at the doctor tomorrow...
Great to hear he is making sounds even thou at other people.Good luck at the doctors.
Sign in to follow this topic