Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Growth & Development
  5. Baby Talking at 5 and a half months.

Baby Talking at 5 and a half months. Lock Rss

My son is 5 and a half months and since last week hes been able to say "mum mum" and "bub bub". Is he an early acheiver or is it normal for a baby to start taking before 6 months?
im not saying its not possible but give it a few more months and u may see a difference between him babblng to himself saying mum mum mum and bub bub bub now and say 2 months when he looks at u and says mum clear as anything.

I would say that's normal. My DD at that age was saying mum mum mum & bub bub bub aswell, but it's just baby babble.

This is quite normal for babies to sound those words as they usually hear them often, its their way of learning language through imitating sounds they hear. However, at this age they're unlikely to make the connnection to mum and dad with the words they are saying. Give this time and I'm sure you'll notice the difference when recognition comes, it would be kind of like when they turn to you and smile for the first time.

My son is 5 and a half months and since last week hes been able to say "mum mum" and "bub bub". Is he an early acheiver or is it normal for a baby to start taking before 6 months?

Hey smile

Honestly, I don't know what is and isn't normal, but our girl said 'Mum' at 3 months,
and we got told by the nurse (health nurse) that 'No, she must have been mumbling, so she's not saying anything yet, she must be just saying mummummummummumm'. I got pissed off as it was clear and when she was reaching for me and wanting me and it wasn't mummummummumm it was 'MUM'
I think it's hard honestly for anyone to comment unless they actually hear it too, our health nurse didn't hear it, but my Mum and a few friends and plunket did and they agreed it a word smile

I think as for your question, I think every baby talks at different ages smile
Although 6 months sounds early to me.

Just my opinion smile

Our son said dad and mum at 3 months of age, bub at 6months and no at 9 months.
My DD is 7 months and say mum dad and bub although she doesn't associate these words with anyone.

It even has in the "blue book" at the six month check "is your baby saying mum mum, bub bub, dad dad", these are normal baby sounds.
I think it's totally possible! My neice and nephew were amazing with their langauge skills. By 6 months they both had fairly good vocabs and by a year you could have a conversation with them! I'm a teacher and can see a huge benefit in talking and reading to your child from pregnancy. Make sure you always talk back when your son says 'mum' that way you're encouraging further development! Congrats to you!
Sign in to follow this topic